Subaru CVT serviceability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

While doing the first oil change on my 2012 Legacy 2.5i today, I finally got decent look at the underpinnings. In doing so I noticed the CVT trans has a bottom mounted drain plug on the pan.

It's a large, round headed plug, slightly larger than a quarter, with what appears to be an Allen/hex receptacle recessed into the center.

Much to my surprise, there also appears to be a top mounted fill plug, easily accessed through the engine compartment. It looks the same as the drain plug and is mounted on the top of what looks like the bell housing, on the right/passenger side.

If this is the case, how sweet is that? Your average manufacturer isn't that friendly.

Joel

Last edited:
except the ones who designed a mt with the diff sharing the oil
smile.gif
semi-jk

Owning a automatic Passat, I find everything else to have great serviceability.

Did you notice the CVT fluid filter as well? It's the same screw-on canister as an oil filter. Subaru says it never has to be changed unless you tear into the transmission for something. (although i believe it's only like a $30 filter) The fluid however is recommended to do a drop/fill if you do towing.

I don't do any towing, but I would like to drain what you can get out (maybe 1/2 of it?) and fill it back up maybe every 40-60k. I could only find the Subaru C-30 fluid (which is currently the only formulation that currently exists for this) in 5 gal pails for nearly $300. Not terribly bad as Pentosin ATF1 for my VW is about $15 a quart as well.

We'll see when I get further down the road. I don't believe in this "lifetime fill" idea for transmissions or differentials either.

Originally Posted By: mount

Did you notice the CVT fluid filter as well? It's the same screw-on canister as an oil filter.

Really? Where is it??

I know the 4EAT ATs in the Foresters (and others) have had spin-on ATF filters for years, but have heard nothing in this regard to the 2010+ CVT equipped Legy and Outback.

Well I haven't actually looked for it on my CVT, and now that you're saying this I'm starting to think I'm wrong.

I thought I read somewhere that these new ones had it too.

My Freestyle with the ZF CVT has a similar setup; easily accessible drain plug and fill plug right on top of the transmission (not quite as accessible, but still easy). Besides the basic pan filter/magnets, it also has a synthetic media full-flow filter as standard equipment--a Bitog'rs dream!

I've been doing drain and fills every 30K on mine. While that may be overkill, this is an expensive transmission. If you plan on keeping the car for the long haul, it may be worth doing regular drain and fills.

One thing to note is that CVT fluid seems to expand/contract more than some other fluids, so setting the fluid level may be tricky. If you know the fluid level is correct, I'd drain hot, let the fluid get to room temperature, measure accurately what you took out and put back in a similar amount. I don't now the procedure for checking the fluid on your car, but on mine there are a couple different procedures and both require a good read on transmission temps.

Is this a Jatco CVT? I bring this up because the arrangement sounds very similar to the CVT on the Altimas.

Best bet is to find a copy of the factory service manual.

I guess I may be one of the first to service the Subaru CVT when I do it. I will just do drain and fills on it. I am not really sure on CVT fluid. What is the spec on it. Is it safer to use an all in one fluid like the Eneos or Redline that a standard ATF?

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I guess I may be one of the first to service the Subaru CVT when I do it. I will just do drain and fills on it. I am not really sure on CVT fluid. What is the spec on it. Is it safer to use an all in one fluid like the Eneos or Redline that a standard ATF?

CVTs MUST use the correct fluid. They are reliant on the frictional properties of the fluid for their survival. Most of them will last miles if they are refilled with standard ATF instead of the proper CVT fluid.

I would only use the OE CVT fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back