Startling Neutra Oil Flush Results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I was piddling around in the shop and had about 2/3 (8 oz) of a bottle of Neutra sitting there and wanted the bottle to divide a big bottle of diesel fuel additive into "one shot" dosages. I got to thinking that one of my old gas tractors was about due for an oil change so I dumped that bottle into the sump.

This is a 1963 Case 830 4 Cylinder gasoline tractor. It has had regular oil changes with good quality dino 15w-40 its entire life and the oil was last changed late last summer with Rotella T 15w-40. To my knowledge it had never had an engine flush of any kind, and I know for a fact it has never had the valve cover off since new. The oil was a dark amber on the stick when I checked the oil before using it.

Anyways, I ran it to mix a 2 ton batch of feed and mow some roadsides, about 4-5 total hours of running, and then brought it back to the shop to drain the oil. As I pulled the plug, some oil got on my hands like usual, and when I rubbed my fingers together the oil was completely gritty with hard particles. This was a first for me in any application. I looked on the sides of the bucket where the oil had run down and there one could see gobs of sand-like particles adhering to the bucket. The oil was now as black as any I had ever seen come out of of any motor, diesel included, and blacker than anything I had ever witnessed coming out of a gas motor.

I went around and unscrewed the filter canister, curious about what I might find in it. Oil drained out, I looked into the canister, and the inside of it was completely covered in this same material! The pleats of the filter were also full of it. I always wipe down the filterhead, and as I went to do that I noticed sticky, sludgy stuff stuck around the ridge that separates the inlet/outlet on the filterhead, and upon rubbing my fingers on that, it was softer and disintegrated into a greaselike substance.

My wife was in the shop with me when I did this and she even came over to look because I was so fascinated by what I had found. She said it was "gross" and didn't know that kind of gunk could build up in even a well maintained engine.

I figured the Neutra would clean this engine up some, but I had no idea that only several hours worth of exposure to the solvents would loosen up so much stuff. I had never seen any grit or sludge evidence when changing the oil in this tractor before. I'm just glad I didn't run it for the 10-15 hours that would equate to the 500 miles suggested by Schaeffer's on the back of the bottle or I probably would have had a severely plugged filter!

I refilled it with Mystik 10w-30 HDEO and plan on running another Neutra flush for longer hours later this summer to really get it cleaned out. Will probably go 15 hours, with a filter change or at least inspection halfway through.

I guess I can safely say that Neutra is highly effective at loosening carbon and sludge deposits in old engines, even with just a few hours' use. I also have it in my 04 Dodge w/ Cummins and 04 Chevy 6.0L that are both approaching their oil change dates, but both of those should be relatively clean to begin with.

Neutra is great stuff, & your tractor has had over 40 yrs to build up lots of cooties for it to clean out! I'm curious- what's the total oil capacity of that engine?

The first time I ever tried it in my Neon's engine(years ago now), within 300 miles my compression braking improved dramatically. And when I drained that oil, *boy* did it look dark! And that was after about 90-100 K miles, 90% highway cruising, doing 3K oil changes religiously.

Here's a little factoid: Bob(this site's founder) used to sell lots of Schaeffer Neutra to Toyota dealerships(maybe he still does) to use on those "sludge monster" problem engines. A full 12 oz bottle, I forget just how long they'd run it, or maybe drive it, but it worked great!
wink.gif

I've got my case out in the garage "oil room." I have some interesting filter pics to get up but I can't positively attribute it to Neutra as I had already mixed in a little LC20...and this was in redline....

Stuart:

Oil capacity with filter change is 9 qts. I meant to put that in there since it was relevant to the story but somehow forgot.

Hey, I just bought a case of 12 ouncers about a month ago. I discovered a Schaeffer's dealer here in town. Nice.....

I don't know about my car but it sure cleaned out my weedeater.

Neutra #131. It's the same fluid. Many places will only sell it as #131. #131 has directions for the purge and fuel system on the bottle.

Could Neutra 131 possiby be superior to Auto-RX? I believe in Auto-RX but if Neutra is a cheaper way to achieve the same results in about 500 miles of driving before an oil change that would be great. And Bob always said that Neutra was great at cleaning an engine. The only thing he did not say was that it was like Auto-RX in stopping oil seal leaks that were not due to physical damage of the seal. Auto-RX can seal up leaks. But if a person has no leaks is the Neutra better on a cost basis?

I think Neutra would be too harsh in a totally sludged, nasty engine like my tractor's. I may have been in trouble if I left it in there too long, as fast as it knocked stuff loose.

I think for lightly even medium sludged and dirtied engines it is probably great, but ARX probably is safer for the disaster areas.

I am running it in two other vehicles now, but they are already fairly clean to begin with (I think)

One thing however is you WILL smell Neutra coming from the CCV tube on a tractor or on my Dodge, my wife pulled up the drive and I was 50 ft away, and about 20 seconds after it went by I smelled Neutra! With a PCV system routing it back to the intake like on our jetta you probably won't smell it. So I think it tends to boil off quite a bit, but even after 500 miles on the Dodge with it in there the dipstick still smells like Neutra.

I do think it is cost effective to do it occassionally, or even for 200? miles at the end of every OCI. I think Bob even ran it in oil from day one on OCIs and found it did not increase his wear numbers.

There was always an argument over whether or not Neutra was harsh. I think that's overblown. I think they are both great products. I ran some for practically a whole OCI. I can't tell you which is better...they both dirtied my filters.

Neutra 131 at 1oz per qt now sees the last 1k miles of every 5k OCI on my little cars and trucks all of which have had previous double ARX treatments. I stop the 1oz LC20 per 1k at that point before changeout. Finally the oil seems to be staying cleaner throughout the interval. Also using Molabrew in the fuel. I like it!

Mystic check the MSDS of any product you want to put in your engine If it is solvent chemistry it will surely clean and also generate particulates an other bad things that can stop up an oil screen or piston port.

E-mail Schaeffer's and ask them if they recomend there product for cleaning the internals of a gas or diesel powered engine.

By the way Fathers Day Special at Ace Hardware on name brand paint thinners

Frank, you can't be comparing Neutra to a paint thinner can you? Which component?

Mystic, check the myriad threads on Neutra in the additives forum by using the search feature. This battle was fought several times in the past. "What's a solvent?" "What's an ester?"

Blah, blah, blah..

The last I heard both Auto-RX and Neutra are ester type products. But the Auto-RX comes from natural material and the Neutra comes from petroleum.

My vote is for ARX, I have had great results with it.

I like the slow and safe approach, and the way ARX works with seals.

I've heard lots of good things about Schaeffer's products, but the Neutra #131 seems a bit too aggressive for me.

quote:

Originally posted by Frank:
Mystic check the MSDS of any product you want to put in your engine If it is solvent chemistry it will surely clean and also generate particulates an other bad things that can stop up an oil screen or piston port.

E-mail Schaeffer's and ask them if they recomend there product for cleaning the internals of a gas or diesel powered engine.

By the way Fathers Day Special at Ace Hardware on name brand paint thinners

Kinda harsh comment on an established product. Misleading implication of a competitors chemistry from some one that probably has to deal with it personally. You, if anyone, should get it.

I beleave from the past Nutra 131 is comprized of a very light weight oil, crycilic acid, and butanol. I think it was designed as a fuel system cleaner/stabilizer. Product works well in the molasoak application. I too think its too aggressive to be safely driving around in the crankcase. Butyl Alchol would not be high on my list of additions to the host oil.

If I remember exactly what Bob said a long time ago he talked about cleaning an engine with Neutra 131 and leaving it in a vehicle's engine for something like 1000 miles. There was no apparent damage and the engine cleaned up nicely. I believe the recommended amount is 1 oz. per quart of oil. Is doing that once a year 500 miles before an oil change excessive or dangerous? Bob did not seem to think so. I don't know if anybody besides Bob ever tested Neutra 131 for cleaning an engine. Seems like a cheap way to get an engine clean if it is safe and it works and remember you can also use Neutra 131 for a fuel system cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back