M1 EP - 15k / 2.5 years - any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last oil change was with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 and a FRAM Extended Guard oil filter, and happened over Thanksgiving weekend of 2011.

So the oil's been in my truck for about 20 months and just shy of 10k miles.

Is there any issue with running it out to a full 2 years, and likely right around 12k? Or should I change it ASAP? The oil's supposedly guaranteed to 15k, and my engine (3.7l Chrysler PowerTech V6) seems to be pretty easy on oil according to past oil analyses.

I used M1 EP for a 2.5 year storage several times, and there were ZERO ISSUES with it. Time is apparently a non issue for oils, especially one like M1 EP. With 10K, going to 12K, you are definitely within the 15K capability of the oil. I would use with confidence and not change. It is designed to last.

I would just be worried about moisture and acid buildup in the oil -- if you have gotten it out on the highway periodically it should be less of an issue.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I used M1 EP for a 2.5 year storage several times, and there were ZERO ISSUES with it. Time is apparently a non issue for oils, especially one like M1 EP. With 10K, going to 12K, you are definitely within the 15K capability of the oil. I would use with confidence and not change. It is designed to last.

^^^^ this^^^^^. I even did it in a motorcycle, 2 years, 10k. Coulda gone 15k.

It should be fine for another couple thousand miles, but the M1EP warranty is only good for 12 months.

I don't know if I would say time is not an issue. I think that depends on the conditions.

Has the truck been in use or storage for the bulk of the 20 months?

What type of use does it get? Is the oil usually brought up to temperature when the truck is used? I would be more concerned if there are a lot of short trips, if that is the case I would likely change it. If it gets good and hot the majority of the time it is fired up, I would likely go the two years.

I would also agree that a UOA would be a good idea at this point to know for sure. Or try a regular synthetic and stick to a year.

I have read with interest several UOA's that indicate time is a non factor with oil. At first I was reluctant to believe that, but I am convinced now.

It's a 3.7L V6 Chrysler Powertech in a 2005 Dodge Dakota.

It gets daily to and from work trips of about 11 miles- most of which is at about 40 mph or so- not stop and go traffic, but not extended stretches of 70 mph either. I'd guess that 2 miles of the 11 is at highway speeds.

I also drive 5-10 miles at lunchtime sometimes to go shopping, and have had a couple of longer highway trips as well.

Originally Posted By: cp3
I don't know if I would say time is not an issue. I think that depends on the conditions.

Yep, that's the issue. If a vehicle gets 300 miles in a year, all at 1 mile at a time, that's harsh. If it's one trip a year, not a big deal.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: mark pruett
It's a 3.7L V6 Chrysler Powertech in a 2005 Dodge Dakota.

It gets daily to and from work trips of about 11 miles- most of which is at about 40 mph or so- not stop and go traffic, but not extended stretches of 70 mph either. I'd guess that 2 miles of the 11 is at highway speeds.

I also drive 5-10 miles at lunchtime sometimes to go shopping, and have had a couple of longer highway trips as well.

IMO thats good enough to heat up the oil for another 4 mos.

nobody saw the type of filter he had.....Orange can of death! it not even the ultra! I would dump it just because I doubt the filter would last 5k on a oil change just my 2 cent's. the EP stuff cost less then 30$ at wollyworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back