1995 Taurus running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are gong to do the VSS the RIGHT way, at 8AM. I made sure I have the clip for them, if we don't need to replace the VSS with one of the other ones that are there that I came prepared with that we may or may not need, and it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Then I am driving it all day, pre-4th.

The blue VSS is for an AX4S, and I have a feeling he will put in that one. Bracket is on different position, like 5 o'click vs 12, but sensor should still plug in.. I hope

Spanish mechanic, going to put the car up on lift.

My front license plate got all chewed up by dude yesterday.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

My front license plate got all chewed up by dude yesterday.

I thought you lived in PA? What's with the NJ plates?

I, THIS TAURUS, HAS THE AX4N TRANSMISSION. 19 BOLTS, I COUNTED. AND IS STAMPED AX4N!

That means the AX4S sensor didnt work..
33.gif

Put it up on a lift, and, voila, Onion Rings celebration today.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Is the shifting issue resolved?

This was the old teeth on the VSS installed by the guy. (It is now in the box, sitting in the passenger seat, and OUT of the vehicle.)

941177_523693944363823_917353378_n.jpg

This is my pan.

1025755_523692864363931_1441125071_o.jpg

The new guy (very good tech) had to pop the white ring out of the new VSS, and put the clips through. Speedo works Even verified before I drove it out of the bay. No rushed, hot engine mess; did it while engine was cool. Engine was HOT HOTHOT when the guy mutilated the above one, and my font license plate...

As to the shifting issue. The car shifts MOSTLY smoother now. Speedo works, too. (Was wrong VSS.) I added in a quart of Royal Purple ATF late in the day; Has helped some. However, at one point, I again lost 3rd/overdrive; Battery reconnect/disconnect again solved it.

SINCE ADDING THE ONE QUART OF ROYAL PURPLE MAX ATF, MAKING IT AT MOST A QUART OVERFULL, AND NOT PUTTING IN SEAFOAM TRANS-TUNE or TRANS-X, the shifting seems to be GRADUALLY improving. Did some trans fluid spill out when the wrong VSS was in?? .. I think it did, under the hood was smoking.

I now need to look at voltage issues. There is still some RPM warbling, but I am starting to think that it may be a power issue, not sensor. The speedometer does not really move until you are above 75MPH; then, it again "bounces." I suspect stray current somewhere; in my strictly 100% UN-scientific opinion.

Money is now low, so, I need to make do. It is about 75% improved form what it was, but still unresolved.

HIGHLY upset I wasted the %50 yesterday, and, surprise, the guy doesn't want to give it back. Shocker! Now I am cleaned out.

So, yonyon: "The shifting issue is much improved, however there is still a ghost in the machine."

The 1-2 shift is cleaning up; will have its first run from cold when I next run it. Starting to run out of money again.

1048151_523734691026415_811232178_o.jpg

Your bouncing speedometer needle is probably just a slight bit of rust in the cable. Lubing it is a pain. Let the needle bounce unless it gets bad enough that it's difficult to read.

Your being a quart overfilled with ATF can create its own problems, like shifting weirdness. You REALLY need to drain the excess ASAP.

Trannies aren't like engines; they can't "burn off" fluid.

That's partly why you smelled ATF when the engine got hot. ATF expands big time, which is why there are cold/hot fill levels on the dipstick that need to be followed.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Hey GearHeadTools, a neighbor down the street has a 87 Plymouth Reliant Station Wagon--do you want a crack at that?

Hehehe. Have it your way.

For a car that supposedly needed just a corner lens, there's been an awful lot of time and money spent and it STILL doesn't work right. At what point do you give up and cut your losses?

Hey GearHeadTools, a neighbor down the street has a 87 Plymouth Reliant Station Wagon--do you want a crack at that?

It's the perfect model year if your state does antique plates at 25 years old.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

It's the perfect model year if your state does antique plates at 25 years old.

If I can sell the Taurus, I will contact this member in BUCKS county, and we can go to Trenton DMV. QQ historic plates.
smile.gif

Is it a woody?

But, seriously... As to what RF Overlord said... this car fills a real need in my life for transportation at the s10 Blazer (my other vehicle, in hoc in Darby PA) is presently at this time not filling, and I was prepared for the possibility that there would be no interest.

I want to put a bench front seat in the S10 Blazer, candidates are F150 and F250 and a Durango (?) Or Tahoe.
Germantown room still has roaches after foggers, what is name of powder for fridge floor area?
eek.gif

And I have SSI lawyer meeting July 11th in Philly.
I have made threads about all but the bench seat conversion process.

Last edited:
^^^ AND, JUST TO CLARIFY: Taurus runs PRETTY WELL, FOR WHAT IT IS. JUST SOME THINGS TO CLEAR UP.

I get a partial flush the cooling system today, again.. wow do I need to get to a garden hose FAST. (*autotext said "well card hold fast" lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back