Simplicity ZT 16 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
These riding ZTs are nearly as expensive as an automobile, and rather complex..
Here at BITOG, I hope that someone has the correct info on the proper "transmission" oil..
dino 20-50 ?
hydraulic fluid ?
Either have been mentioned...too much conflict for me...
I have no owers manual...yet...Simplicity has been of little help.

81.0 views....good
0.0 responses....not good
I will have to DIY
The Simplicity manual alludes to " Simplicity Universal Hyraulic Oil " which is , in real life , ???
Good info is too similar to hens teeth...

0.0 response
Surely, some-one must own a Simplicity or the same (MF, Briggs, Snapper,etc) with an Eaton transmission..

Not being familiar with this make/model mower, I Googled it, finding out is uses dual Eaton 778-028 hydrostatic drives. All kinds of sites with blown-up parts diagrams for this mower and it's drives.

AFAIK, before Hydrogear basically took over the market on integrated zero turn drives, Eaton started the game. I know old Eaton, Sauer/Sundstand/Danfoss drives used 20wt motor oil (5w20 is fine), ATF or hydraulic oil.

I have no idea on the Eaton 778-028. IMO, if it's never been changed, ANY new motor oil in there is better than nothing. I'd probably try 15w40 or the likes. If it's noisy on that, try something 'lighter'.

Last edited:
Thank you, JTK
Now that I have the Simplicity manual (thanks to Al Gore and the internet...), I see that "Simplicity All-Purpose Hydraulic oil" is recommended..I think I'll try ATF....but I need a consensus...The characteristics of the Eaton units seem to be similar to those of an automotive automatic transmission.

Originally Posted By: earthworm
..The characteristics of the Eaton units seem to be similar to those of an automotive automatic transmission.

Yeah, I can't quite figure out construction and operation of these drives. They don't look like a typical swashplate pump and motor hydrostatic drive like they are today, but I'm sure they don't require the additives and friction modifiers you'd have in a modern ATF. Using it would probably be fine in that the system would just ignore those components in the fluid.

Like I say, I know older garden tractors that used Eaton drives would spec their own name brand oil (be it simplicity, etc.etc.), 20wt motor oil, ATF or hydraulic oil. ATFs and hydrauic oils tend to be in the 20wt range anyway.

If it were mine, given the literature and recommendations you've gotten, I'd personally go with 5w20 motor oil or a high quality synthetic in a 20wt range if it's a pain to change the oil in these drives.

This Eaton transmission duo does have a pressure relief valve, and a filter, and a "dump valve", and I think that it is sticking - causing oil loss and seepage from the reservoirs.
I'll try an ATF change and report....the existing oil is filthy and probably never has been changed.
In the Simplicity manual (service manual), not one word about changing oils , maybe I missed it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back