Roughly 60k mile air filter pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
KRIS,is that filterminder off of a diesel engine? IIRC, they only make them for diesels.The vacuum on a gas engine will give an inaccurate reding on the filterminder,i think.

I can't answer for KRIS, but here is the Filter Minder I put on my 5.7L gasoline V8:

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor8_07FEB13_zps15b4c87d.jpg

The first one I put on indicated a maximum of 25in H2O and I could not make it read any restriction - even under WOT testing.

I replaced that one with one that indicates a maximum 10in H2O:

LC200KampNFilterMinder_31MAR1_zps6f8beac3.jpg

With a new OEM paper filter, the new one reads a little less than 50% restriction under WOT test conditions and no restriction under normal driving conditions.

I cannot say whether one is made for diesel and the other for gasoline engines, but I would suggest that for most gasoline engines the 10in H2O filter minder would work well.

HTH

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
KRIS,is that filterminder off of a diesel engine? IIRC, they only make them for diesels.The vacuum on a gas engine will give an inaccurate reding on the filterminder,i think.

I can't answer for KRIS, but here is the Filter Minder I put on my 5.7L gasoline V8:

The first one I put on indicated a maximum of 25in H2O and I could not make it read any restriction - even under WOT testing.

I replaced that one with one that indicates a maximum 10in H2O:

With a new OEM paper filter, the new one reads a little less than 50% restriction under WOT test conditions and no restriction under normal driving conditions.

I cannot say whether one is made for diesel and the other for gasoline engines, but I would suggest that for most gasoline engines the 10in H2O filter minder would work well.

HTH

I also have the 25in H2O restriction minder and I could not manage to move it under WOT as well. Perhaps it is meant only for diesel engines
21.gif

Gas engine air filters are changed at a lower restriction than diesels...generally. With a gasser, you would want to see a max of about 20 inches. Diesels are usually 20-30 inches. Most gauges that end a a high reading start at a high one, so if you start off with a 25 inch gauge, you usually won't seen any readings until 10 inches. Some of the 30 inch gauges start at 15. Vacuum is vacuum, it's just the way the different gauges are calibrated and marked. If you really want to follow along, you would want to buy a gauge that records some of the lower numbers, certainly under 10 inches. There are some that start at 5-8 inches of water and many that start at 10. I have some Donaldson Informers that start at 10 and go to 25 and I use them on both gassers and diesels. I know the standard Filterminder reads down to 8 and goes to 25-30, which is very useful. I think the Donaldson line has one that reads from 5-15.

My filterminder does 6-20 in. H2O. Its currently sitting on the first notch.
Turbo diesels can take more since the turbos will make up for the restriction...the main reason you want to change it on time, then, is so it doesn't suck the filter into the intake. Seen it a couple times.

Last edited:
Mine reads from 8 to 25 and if I put the air filter lid on I get 8" with a clean air filter. I can take the lid off and get 0 with the same new clean air filter, so on my S2000 just the air filter lid adds 8" of vacuum. I change the filter out at 15" to 20" of h2o. On the S2000, it has a cone air filter so I can check the see how clean the filter is and not ever touch the air filter or the seal on the air filter.

You can see that my gauge reads 8" and that is with a new filter
http://s188.photobucket.com/user/rodrounds/library/Honda Intake?sort=2&page=1

ROD

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Wow that is CRAZY...it must be very expensive to make any manufactured product in Israel, resources are very scarce, labor is not cheap either, and of course the place is always under the threat of a war catastrophe. Glad to see that Bosch brought manufacturing back to the USA.

Quite the contrary, there is plenty of people there that would work for pennies a day... Palestinians. That's how you can get things made in Israel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back