Tires for 2011 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend has a 2011 Accord LX-P that will be in need of tires by its next service. The original pair of Dunlops that I rotated to the front today have 5/32" left, so I think they will be due for replacement in 8-10k. The rear has one original Dunlop with under 4/32" remaining and a FR710 replacement tire (which has 7/32" left, but will be tossed when the others are replaced). The car has 38k.

I would like to keep this under $600 installed locally, with road hazard. The tires must have the proper speed rating (H or higher), and I would prefer that the tire be a normal-stock item at the tire shop that it gets purchased at.

For this application, I think tire life is the main concern, followed by satisfactory wet/dry traction.

I would also like to avoid America's Tire if possible since they do not have locations in any of the cities that she lives/visits.

Here are the list of tires I have so far, and I have my thoughts next to them:

GoodYear Assurance Comfortred Touring (Very good life from personal experiences, good straightline stability, normal stock at Sears. The tire has already been on the market for a while, so hopefully it won't be discontinued soon.)
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus (Very well reviewed by CR, seems to be normal stock at all America's Tire, but not so sure about treadwear based on CR's testing results)
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus (Good reviews by TR, Costco has these by special order only. A little iffy about Bridgestone tires in general based on what I've seen with Ecopia EP422 and G019 Grids.)
Continental PureContact (Good reviews on TireRack, but not normal stock by any local retailer)
Michelin Primacy MXV4 V-Rated (Good reviews and good personal experience, but is too expensive. H-Rated version is an OE fitment for Nissan, so I'm not inclined to choose it, but CR tested the OE 215/60-16 size and it was their #1 pick... )

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I went with p7's on my rolla. I like them so far, havent tested too much in wet yet but perfectly fine on dry. Only ran them about 5k miles, so hard to say in terms of how they will wear but theyre a 700 A A rating. Obviously hard to judge on that alone. You mention a few other great options as well. I had the mxv4s before and think they had an edge but they wont last half as long.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Just curious....but why did you leave the Michelin Defender off the list?

I believe the Defender is not available in an H speed rating.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

OP....does the client really need H rated tires? I mean, the T's are rated at 120mph. Who really drives 120mph for hours on end? Not in this country.

I mean, in all honesty, you could speed up to 140mph with T's in a short burst....you just can't set the cruise control at 140.

Is there a real need for H rated tires?

Serenity, in my view. Have them on my 07 Accord V6. Very long wearing, great wet traction, very responsive handling. And very quiet in a car that can have road noise issues.

The B'stone Ecopia and Grids are not good IMO.

You might want to discuss with the owner whether speed rating is really an non-issue, i.e., how aggressive a driver are they and how often do they do sustained driving at 120+. The long-lived Defender may be ideal. A shop may not want "recommend" it due to the speed rating difference but you can usually sign off on that.

GY CT TOURING is by far the most popular choice for customers at my store for family vehicles. Dunlop Signature II is the second most popular fitment. GY stores are also running an instant $60 off Goodyear tires and instant $40 off Dunlop tires till today * might get extended * .

Yoko's are going on my 2012 when the time comes.
Yoko is currently running $60 rebate on 4 tires presently.
Good tire, good deal.

How about the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum?

I don't know what kind of tire places are nearby, but there is probably a Walmart near you.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

OP....does the client really need H rated tires? I mean, the T's are rated at 120mph. Who really drives 120mph for hours on end? Not in this country.

I mean, in all honesty, you could speed up to 140mph with T's in a short burst....you just can't set the cruise control at 140.

Is there a real need for H rated tires?

An H-rated tire is the minimum required for this application, and is likely due to the presence of a cap ply, which greatly eliminates the risk of tire failure at extra-legal commuting speeds. I do realize that some T-rated tires contain a cap ply, but I do not know if the Defenders have this.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Why not Yokohama Avid Touring? They're fantastic tires for the money.

The Avid Ascends have pretty atrocious wet traction, per the latest Tire Rack test.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
How about the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum?

I don't know what kind of tire places are nearby, but there is probably a Walmart near you.

No WM in San Francisco or many parts of the coast. Also, WM lists a lot of tires on their site, but in reality only stocks a select few of these brands.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Michelin or Continental would be my choice.

I agree! The Continental PureContacts on my 2013 Outback are performing very well and are underrated IMHO. The Michelin MXV4 / Defender, or Continental PureContact are in my sights for replacement in a couple of years.

+1. GACT on my 02 v6 accord. 30k not much wear.80 k,6 year, warranty. Hope they wear out so I can get my prorate and a new set. Consider a new alignment with a new set of tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back