Honda 2.4 Ticking Noise - Running Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
.The engine should be clean after 16,000 miles worth of synthetic oil changes.

Wait...my kids Civic took about 25,000 to clean up and get real quiet with QSUD. Now it absolutely purrs with QSUD 5w20. Even the dealer mechanic asked me what oil I was using. You should also do several techron cleanings to keep the injectors clean.

I know you have a 2006 but my 2008 accord 2.4 had a recall done for "ticking on a cold start" turned out it was the VTC actuator, after sitting for awhile the oil drains out of it and causes the ticking, this happens until it is filled with oil, a few seconds...

Heavier grade oil can sometimes quiet down clicking valve timing actuators. But I agree with the others that is the likely culprit.

could it be a single injector maybe? Or would the short 5 second duration of the tick not make that an option?

no issues with ticking valves. MUCH better than them being too tight which DOES cause damage.

All valves tick. some louder than others. Also, different engine designs, VC designs, baffles, materials, insulate the noise to different degrees. It's one of the benefits of plastic valve covers- they let less noise out.

That engine will rattle like an air-cooled lawn mower before there's any need to worry about valves flying apart. The only valve-related issues I'm aware of with hondas was with the gen1 CRVs--- valves would stretch (no ticking) and eventually burn up. That was a 2.2 or 2.3L. You hear of it happening occasionally with the 3.3 at higher mileage.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I agree that it's likely something in the cam phasing system. A short duration tick like this is very likely not a filter or oil or valvetrain clearance issue. Toyota/Scion had a very similar issue with the 2AZ engines and it was something with the cam phaser device on the snout of the camshaft.

Agree

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Put 10w30 in that motor in the mean time. Plenty of protection

Plenty of protection in a car that calls for it.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think they do call for it in that car in other countries.

yes...and 10w won't hurt the engine in Florida...5w is the CAFE favorite...not the performance preference.

I believe the venerable S2000 actually specs 10w30. So if the S2k filter is good enough for all hondas, why not its oil weight spec?
28.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I believe the venerable S2000 actually specs 10w30. So if the S2k filter is good enough for all hondas, why not its oil weight spec?
28.gif

Yes you are correct...the S2000 specs 10w30. Who said the S2000 filter was good for all hondas? It fits but I wouldn't use it on my Accord. The bypass valve isnt made to the same specs, and the filter media doesnt flow as well.

So, I have always run Shell V-Power in my Accord, yes I know the octane level will not give ANY benefit at all, I just like the fact that V-Power has extra cleaning agents, anyway, I recently started running regular gas from shell (89 octane) and I have noticed the tick went away....is there any way at all this could be related? It makes no since to me, but Ive listened for the tick every time I start my car (often) and It has not ticked one time since the regular gas.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It's seriously been discussed ad nauseam.

discussed, yes, resolved, no. I thought I would throw out this recent finding and see if it would narrow it down.

You might want to try adding to one of the other three dozen or so threads you have running on this topic.

Maybe it was a fuel injector? Bitog has to have the most uptight members of all the forums i am on. Knowledgeable people but some are sticks in the mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back