So, about that SLOB

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know the stuff..

HOT Pink bottle, 4X the additive of a quart of SL?

If I add this stuff to my M-1 OCI with about 5K on it right now, when I do UOA at 7500 am I screwing up the UOA as far as determining what shape M-1 is in my car at the 7500-mark?

Or would the CD2 be a usful "extender"? I added VSOT 1.5 oz./quart at the OCI. Haven't added any oil in 5 K, but it's just getting down to the full dot from the letter "F". I think the missing 1/4 of a quart is from me checking/wiping every time I get gas. The oil on the dispstick is juuuuuust beginning to darken on a white napkin, but is still yellow on the stick. Car has 8800 total miles on it.

Was thinking it might be useful to boost the mix at 5K?

Yes? No?

Come on, TallPaul ...SLOB/VSOT/RL cocktail should be in your future, pal.
grin.gif

Any makeup oil is going to skew your UOA. Sure, if you add this stuff for top off, you'll be spicing up your M1. Why not?

I dunno. I was going to try to get a UOA for M-1 at 5K OCI, and if I spike the OCI with CD-2, it wrecks the experiment...

No Moly (which I got with the VSOT) but lots of ZDDP.

I've been wondering about what's been discussed in this thread. I have 3K or so on my Mobil 1 and I've been pondering adding the hot pink stuff to my crankcase before a quickly approaching 600+ mile journey. The talk of "spicing up" my Group IV oil sounds appealing. I reckon I'll dump in a bottle...

Toocrazy: If you don't want to skew the UOA, do the UOA at 5000 miles, then spike the oil with SLOB and run another 3000 to 5000 miles.

Well, actually, I was gonna UOA at 7500. In a new car, 5K has barely turned the oil darker on a white napkin, let alone the stick. I think I'm going to do the UOA at 7500, see what that looks like, and maybe boost it later. Must be something to these Amsoil filters, because the oil got much darker with the OEM filter in 1/3 the miles after the last OC.

Then again, those were short-interval dino changes during break in. This is my first Amsoil filter and I'm amazed at how clear the oil has remained through 5k. I suppose my 7500 UOA will tell the tale.

Thanks, Paul for the info, I kinda thought that would foul the UOA (not foul, per se, but skew, like you said), appreciate the confirmation. It's already got the VSOT in the M1 at 1.5 oz./qt. anyway, enuff's enuff, eh? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back