safe to use 0-20 in car that calls for 5-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that honda said that there vehicles that call for 5-20 are backward compatible with 0-20...is this true? Would there be any benifit of me running a 0-20 in my 06 accord 2.4? would there be more/less wear from the 0 weight. I do lots of short trips but im in FL so they arent that cold. Main thing is wear, better or worse with a 0-20 vs 5-20. And did honda really confirm that its ok to use a 0-20 in there cars that call for 5-20

i tried looking online for official info from honda saying it was ok, but could not find any....anybody have a link or something?

yes, your 2006 Accord can use 0W-20. Any of the daily discussions of benefits of 0W-xx oils can answer the other questions. Short version, since you seem concerned about "wear": you won't see any difference in wear between a 0W-20 and 5W-20.
honda-engine-oil-application-guide.jpg

Dollars to doughnuts Honda won't tell you it's OK (they'll only tell you that 5w20 is the recommended viscosity per your owner's manual) but use your brain and think critically about the differences in 0w20 & 5w20 and make your mind up for yourself. If the car's out of warranty, who gives two farts in a biscuit what Honda thinks is worthwhile.

I would be fine with using it, but it's not my car.

FWIW, Mobil says it's perfectly fine to use in a vehicle specified for 0w-20: "Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance for many driving styles and conditions, from mild to severe, where a 5W-20 or 0W-20 is recommended."

It's fine. I use 0w-20 in our Honda. Right now it's got some thinner 5w-30 I needed to use up in the sump. It's running just fine on 5w-30, just like it ran fine on 0w-20 and 5w-20. I'll switch back to 5w-20 for the winter since I couldn't find any 0w-20 on sale when I last purchased oil for it.

Yes it's safe.

I've been using 0w30 in vehicles spec'd for 5w or 10w30 for several years now.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
would there be more/less wear from the 0 weight.

0w-XX oils are not "zero weight." A 0w-20 oil is the same viscosity as a 5w-20 at operating temp.

No downsides, really. In fact, most 0w20s actually surpass the 5w20s in every way (performance-wise). Note how almost every car on that chart above calling for 5w20 can also use the 0w20. The GX may not be able to due to the fact it isn't using gasoline.

That chart is similar to the one from Toyota Canada. Like that chart, I still can't figure out why they would restrict an engine to 5W-20 when a 20 weight is permitted. My Sienna has the same restriction - 5W-20 is OK but 0W-20 is not. How can that possibly be?

Originally Posted By: Fission
yes, your 2006 Accord can use 0W-20. Any of the daily discussions of benefits of 0W-xx oils can answer the other questions. Short version, since you seem concerned about "wear": you won't see any difference in wear between a 0W-20 and 5W-20.
honda-engine-oil-application-guide.jpg

I've often wondered about the same thing. Why doesn't Toyota recommend 0W-20 where a 5W-20 is considered acceptable? Does anyone here know the answer?

Originally Posted By: BerndV
I've often wondered about the same thing. Why doesn't Toyota recommend 0W-20 where a 5W-20 is considered acceptable? Does anyone here know the answer?

Because TGMO because of it's ultra high 216 VI is lighter than a 5W-20, not just on start-up when it is dramatically lighter but also to a certain extent at normal operating temp's.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I can't think of a single tangible advantage of using a 0W oil over a 5W oil in Florida. But it would certainly be safe to do so.

I agree. Use it if you want, but I don't think you will see or feel a difference.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I can't think of a single tangible advantage of using a 0W oil over a 5W oil in Florida. But it would certainly be safe to do so.

What about this. 0-20 is typically of better quality than 5-20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back