Car was driven with handbrake up for several miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to tell my aunt that my handbrake was up before letting her borrow my car, and she is not a car person and she wasn't familiar with my car. She drove it to the bank and back. It was maybe 5-7 miles. The rear rotors have a brown tint to the area where the pads contact them and there's a burnt metal smell. I assume they overheated.

It stops fine and there's no indication of warped rotors. Anything to worry about?

I would keep driving it. Probably fine, especially since you don't notice any problem. I have done that a number of times with one vehicle, but I like my manual transmission Ranger because with a manual you never drive with the parking brake on because you'll notice it immediately in the feel of the clutch. It will feel like you have a big heavy trailer, but you don't. Now if you had a manual transmission, you might not have had to loan auntie the car in the first place.
grin2.gif

Well, I parked behind her car and I didn't feel like moving out of the way so it was pretty much my own fault.

when you do the rear brakes you may want to replaace the rear drums or rotors or at least sand them with emery cloth or get them cut... you want to get rid of the glaze

I would check the condition of the pads and rotors to ensure that there is still material left. If there is, I would just keep driving it.

No offence but if she can't figure out how to release the parking break or to even check to see if it is engaged, she should not have a driver license and has no business driving. Women drivers.......I rest my case...LOL!

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
No offence but if she can't figure out how to release the parking break or to even check to see if it is engaged, she should not have a driver license and has no business driving. Women drivers.......I rest my case...LOL!

It's not one of those things that people expect or are used to being engaged on a car with an automatic transmission. It's not even required for you to know what it does to get a license, and I'm sure it seems obvious to us how to operate it, but I'm sure a majority of people, male or female, don't bother checking what it does.

Originally Posted By: qweased123
Maybe the handbrake needs adjusting if it can be on and the rear wheels still turn?

It's a front wheel drive car with 255 hp and 246 ft/lb of torque. I'm sure given enough gas, the rear wheels will turn. And, they probably do need adjusting, but from the smell and discoloration on the rotors, I think they still work.

Brakes get hot, that's how they stop the car. Nothing unusual going on here. The drum will heat, expand, and cause little, if any, excess wear to the lining.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Great job offering no help at all and jumping at the opportunity to be a twerp. Cross it off your list for the day. Given the choice, I prefer women drivers . . . not LOL.

Boiled fluid will not get better and water has no were to go once it's in the brake line.

If the rotors were not warped from the heat then the pads probably just got worn down faster.

Honestly, if the car is stopping the same, and there is nothing out of the ordinary I'd leave it alone.

Should be fine, I drove once with the brake on. Got in the freeway,only until i smelled brakes and realized what was happening, then i released them. Luckily nothing happened.

Would more or less assess by feel.
If the brake system still operates and feels as normal, and the brake pads are still good, I would probably just not worry about it at all.

Bearing overheat is a concern though, just listen for bearing noises over the next few days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back