Concern Over PU Date Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a sale in Canada at NAPA stores. PU is going for $28.99 for a 5 litre jug (top line synthetics can go for $45 to 53 per jug up here). So I went to a local NAPA store to check it out. The sales rep opened a carton of 5W20 right in front of me and took out jug. I read some info on the back of the jug and then checked the date code. It was Dec 2011. That's 1.5 years ago. I know the shelf life is more than this, however, i have a touch of OCD. What do you folks think?

I wouldn't worry about it at all. When I stash oil, it gets older than 1.5 years by the time I use the last of it. Heck, as good as PU is, and given the driving habits of some, it could easily be in the sump that long!

And?
1.5 years is nothing for oil in a climate controlled environment.
If you want it and the price makes sense, buy it.

Originally Posted By: soszek
There is a sale in Canada at NAPA stores. PU is going for $28.99 for a 5 litre jug (top line synthetics can go for $45 to 53 per jug up here). So I went to a local NAPA store to check it out. The sales rep opened a carton of 5W20 right in front of me and took out jug. I read some info on the back of the jug and then checked the date code. It was Dec 2011. That's 1.5 years ago. I know the shelf life is more than this, however, i have a touch of OCD. What do you folks think?

Not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back