Best headlight lens restorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive tried a couple products, ive used turtle wax head light restorer and it didnt do much, tried Meguiars head light restorer with the sand paper and buffer that does on a drill, looked ok for a couple weeks then got hazy again, just yesterday I tried some zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover. applied with a cotton applicator pad from zaino, rubbed in for about 15 seconds and the headlights have no more haze! i was shocked. I wash my car once a week and noticed that they headlights (on the accord) were getting hazy, but it looked like it was on the inside so there was nothing i could do. I just planned to get them replaced once it got bad. But yesterday i figured why not, so i went to my zaino stash and pulled out the swirl mark remover and polished them down and it looks good a new. almost. but seriously way better then the headlight restore kits. Just make sure you keep applying wax/ protectant so they stay clear and dont get yellow again

I would start with something mild like one of the Meguiar's PlastX kits. They come with a bottle of the polish and a cloth. Very light oxidation can typically be removed by hand.

Otherwise you'll want to move up to something like the 3M Headlight Restorer kit. It involves wet sanding but I have seen some amazing results with an hour of time and their $30 kit.

I swear, crest toothpaste worked like magic.

After you restore them, you should seal them or do what I do, and re apply as they fog up again (about ever other month)

Once you get them clear, you need to use a UV protectant to keep them clear. I use Harley gloss for motorcycles. I use it on the windshield it keeps it from getting cloudy, paint ,and chrome. I even use it on my Explorer. It's a light detail polish, but it works good.,,

I don't know what the best is but I've used a couple with respectable results. The Crystal View all in one kit available at Wally for ~$20 does a decent job but it's only a one use item. It does contain a finishing sealer though which helps the job last longer.

Recently though I purchased the Rain X HL Rest. Kit at Advance. It too works fairly well, cost ~$14.00. The plus is it can be used multiple times and it contains a spray bottle of finishing UV sealer for multiple headlights. The latter part is what makes it different from the Turtle Wax kit. Just did a set of HL a couple day ago.

I prefer the hand/manual kits mentioned where no drill is required. Feel like I have more control during the process. Just me.

But, most work on the principle of finer sanding series, 2-3 different grits, a rubbing compound, and preferably a finishing UV sealant to make the job last longer.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
For that POS - toothpaste. Which does a decent job on a lens that isn't too far gone.

+1

Somewhere I read that after buffing out the oxidation, applying a sheet of protective film over the headlight does wonders.

Don't know anything about the film, in the picture I saw the film looked like the stuff you apply to tablets or smart phones to prevent scratches to the screen.

Originally Posted By: hisilver
Needs to be whitening toothpaste (contains abrasives).

Whitening tp contains more abrasive, but regular tp has plenty of abrasive to get the job done. I've used regular tp before with good results.

Just be sure to seal it when you're done.

The best restorer is some 600 grit sandpaper and a buffing wheel with some polishing compound. Most of those kits they sell are a waste of time.

Originally Posted By: guyonearth
The best restorer is some 600 grit sandpaper and a buffing wheel with some polishing compound. Most of those kits they sell are a waste of time.

Most of those kits basically ARE sandpaper and compound.

From what I hear, Sylvania kits last the longest in terms of oxidation and clarity. ( they come with a sealant , probably why they last the longest )

If you wetsand the headlamps, you need to routinely seal them (wetsanding will remove the factory UV protection). My suggestion is that instead of constantly sealing them, just get a clear film applied like Xpel or whatever.

Do I leave the toothpaste on overnight?

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

Do I leave the toothpaste on overnight?

Just rub it on the lens until it clears out.

After ditching the drill-powered buffing pad that came in the Meguiar's headlight restoration kit, just using the included PlastX on a microfiber towel and some elbow grease worked great for me. The buffing pad did absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back