12' Ford Super Crew 3.5 Ecoboost - what oil ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this site which was recommended to me by my gearhead brother. I just picked up a new to me 2012 F-150 Ford Super Crew with the 3.5 Ecoboost / 3.55 rear end. It has 10,700 miles on it and was used very lightly by a older gentlemen (if that makes a difference) for one year. It was a lease turn in. It will be my wife's daily driver Monday thru Friday. We tow a 5,000lbs. travel trailer 8-10 days a month on varying terrain in Michigan. Some cases we have decent hills, but mostly flat terrain. With so many engine oils to choose from, I don't know where to begin. I want to do the best I can to prolong the life of the engine. I have used Valvoline synthetic in my old truck and had some issues. But I wasn't sure if it was the oil or the 5.4 Ford engine.....guessing the engine. To make a long story short, what oil and filter for this fairly new engine to the market do you all suggest ???

I appreciate your time and look forward to learning more about lubricants. Very interesting stuff.

You will surely get a lot of opinions on this one, so I will add mine.

I would run a good synthetic oil to protect those turbos. You cannot go wrong with Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 EP. Other options include Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra among others. I would run either Mobil 1 by your Oil life monitor if you have one or 5-7,000 miles-whatever your comfort level is. There will be posters saying go 10,000 miles or more. You would probably be able to run longer intervals...but to me oil is cheaper than engines and turbos.

Last edited:
Pick an oil that handles Fuel Dilution Well!

If you have a local Walmart? You can't beat their price for a 5gal jug of M1 $22!!

Pennzoil Plat or Ultra is my next choice-->Little bit more expensive.

Amsoil-->After you pay tax-plus shipping is expensive. Even with the PC price. But your paying for a Good Robust Oil. With a UOA to extend your OCI-->More Money!

Just my thoughts! Nothing More!

Sign up with amsoil preferred customer and use Amsoil!!!.....my opinion. There are a lot of great oils....I just use and prefer Amsoil and go 7500-10000 miles

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Pick an oil that handles Fuel Dilution Well!

Is there an oil that handles fuel dilution well? I thought that all oils are the same when it comes to this and the best saving grace is to simply change the oil?

Use a good quality full synthetic. I have posted many UOA on my ecoboost engine. Take it from a fellow ecoboost owner who has completed UOAs, your max OCI should be 6K. The power density with the DI and turbos really tears up the oil with the fuel dilution. You can use a synthetic blend as well but if your like me, I can like knowing everything is given the best chance at lasting the longest.

PP, PU, Castrol Edge with Ti and Kendall have all shown good UOA on the ecoboost. M1 is a good lube as well but recent UOA show it may not be handling fuel dilution as well as others. Different chemistry and base oils handle fuel differently.

The guy is new, and everyone is tossing out abbreviations...

PP = Pennzoil Platinum
PU = Pennzoil Ultra

Mobil 1 EP = Mobil 1 Extended Protection

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
You will surely get a lot of opinions on this one, so I will add mine.

I would run a good synthetic oil to protect those turbos. You cannot go wrong with Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 EP. Other options include Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra among others. I would run either Mobil 1 by your Oil life monitor if you have one or 5-7,000 miles-whatever your comfort level is. There will be posters saying go 10,000 miles or more. You would probably be able to run longer intervals...but to me oil is cheaper than engines and turbos.

Volk's data is showing that M1 isn't handling the fuel dilution as well as some other brands.
Personally I would use volk's data to your advantage and follow whatever advice he has for you. He is spending the money in uoa and I would use his data as an indicator of which oil to go with.
Jmo but if someone else has already spent the money to aquire data why not take advantage of it

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 would be my choice. For a long time, PP and M1 5w30 were two of the only oils that held the Honda HTO-06 spec, which is the Honda spec for engines with Turbos. If it were my truck, that's what I'd run.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Use a good quality full synthetic. I have posted many UOA on my ecoboost engine. Take it from a fellow ecoboost owner who has completed UOAs, your max OCI should be 6K. The power density with the DI and turbos really tears up the oil with the fuel dilution. You can use a synthetic blend as well but if your like me, I can like knowing everything is given the best chance at lasting the longest.

PP, PU, Castrol Edge with Ti and Kendall have all shown good UOA on the ecoboost. M1 is a good lube as well but recent UOA show it may not be handling fuel dilution as well as others. Different chemistry and base oils handle fuel differently.

why is there fuel dilution in the ecoboost? tks

Originally Posted By: hemitruck

why is there fuel dilution in the ecoboost? tks

It's a direct injection engine. A common occurance in these engines.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

PP = Pennzoil Platinum
PU = Pennzoil Ultra

There's also a sticky explaining all the abbreviations.

Originally Posted By: Alex38
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 would be my choice. For a long time, PP and M1 5w30 were two of the only oils that held the Honda HTO-06 spec, which is the Honda spec for engines with Turbos. If it were my truck, that's what I'd run.

+1. The Honda HTO-06 spec would be a great indicator of an oil's turbo performance in any brand vehicle. Both oils mentioned as well as Quaker State Ultimate Durability meet this spec. Any of these in 5W-30 flavor would be a great choice.

BTW: Hasn't been mentioned, but I think I'd stick with the Motorcraft filter. For any FoMoCo product they are hard to beat for price and performance.

Last edited:
We were looking to start an Ecoboost UOA study, but haven't had much interest to date. I changed out the FF to Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, but still have quite a distance to go to exceed the 10k break in that we were planning to exclude from the study. Currently, the guidelines of the study have the oil change at 20% remaining IOLM (+/-1%).

I have a number of OCI of Pennzoil Ultra (SN) that I got with recent closeout sales at Walmart.

When the weather is warm, the IOLM will max out at 10k mile OCI. It will tick down faster in cold/cool weather.

I'd suggest running what volk is running in his rig right now - Kendall full synthetic. Based on the results from the Petroleum Quality Institute of America, it is on par with all other synthetics, plus it has a good amount of Moly, Boron, and Titanium.

Moly is a friction modifier, and the Boron and Titanium are good lower temp anti-wear additives. It's a real sleeper oil. The only rub is you won't find it for sale in many stores, so you really have to look for it.

Oh, and definitely stick with the Motorcraft filter, especially if it calls for one that ends with an S.

Last edited:
Your Ford really has the trifecta of oil challenges:

1) Turbocharging, which will put stress on any oil and, with heavy throttle will contribute to fuel dilution
2) Fuel dilution caused by direct fuel injection
3) Potential intake valve deposits also resulting from Direct Injection

If it were mine, I'd approach each as follows:
1) Use a top-quality full synthetic
2) Change the oil more frequently than the Ford oil life monitor suggests, maybe every 5k. Have a used oil analysis done if you're especially curious
3) Look for an oil with low Noack volatility, which should reduce crankcase oil vapors being passed over intake valves

With all of this, the two oils that come to mind are Pennzoil Ultra, which has a gas-to-liquid base stock with inherently low volatility or Amsoil Signature Series.

Volk,

I had posted at about the same time as the OP of this post did: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3038421#Post3038421 .

If I may, do you have a preference order for the oils you mentioned? My factory fill oil is already indicating evidence fuel dilution at 4000 miles.

Thanks,

Mark

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

PP = Pennzoil Platinum
PU = Pennzoil Ultra

Thank you for the abbreviation help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back