GM radiator drain valve??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help in figuring out how to drain the radiator in newer GM 2.2L and 2.4L vehicle radiators. There is no traditional drain cock in the newer GM's. At the bottom left side there is a quarter sized plug like device with a "+" like slot. My question is: which way to turn this plug and what kind of tool works best? I understand that this plug does not come out, but just turns enough to open the drain.

I'd like to hear from those of you who have opened and closed this kind of valve before I give it a try. I'd rather NOT remove the lower hose, etc. TIA!

2010-10-15_191647_2.gif

Turn counterclockwise about 1/3 turn and then start pulling plug toward you with pliers if tight. If you break the plastic knob, you can get a replacement Dorman plug for about $5 at most any auto parts store.

Originally Posted By: Oldasco
Turn counterclockwise about 1/3 turn and then start pulling plug toward you with pliers if tight. If you break the plastic knob, you can get a replacement Dorman plug for about $5 at most any auto parts store.

But does the Dorman replacement plug actually work? I mean, just about everything else they make fails pretty quickly.

The Dorman replacement drainplug I put in my kid's Cavalier last month works better than the broken GM plug I replaced.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I tell my customers not to mess with that plug. if something goes wrong you're going to have to buy $150 radiator plus labor

+1 I don't know anything about that car, and realize you don't want to, but as a rule I take off the lower radiator hose, and drain it from there. Lets say I learned the hard way once.

Napa also sells a drain plug that to me about the little bit better. Not sure if it really is though. When I change the coolant I put some cry talks grease onto the O ring, and it has never gotten stuck since.

You may well have a drain plug on the very bottom of the radiator that just screws in. That is how my Mercedes cars are set up and it works just perfect. It is about the size of a quarter with a Phillips head screw opening in it, and you just unscrew it and drain the coolant out. Easiest one I have.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You may well have a drain plug on the very bottom of the radiator that just screws in. That is how my Mercedes cars are set up and it works just perfect. It is about the size of a quarter with a Phillips head screw opening in it, and you just unscrew it and drain the coolant out. Easiest one I have.

That is what I have. Not a butterfly or wing nut type of plug, but a recessed plug with a "+" like slot like screw head plug.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

This is what my '05 2.2 ecotec Vue has and sounds like the OP's also. Took a large phillips screwdriver.

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
At the bottom left side there is a quarter sized plug like device with a "+" like slot.

Find a good-fitting screwdriver and try to keep it straight-on so it won't slip/strip.

To avoid damage, does the OP's plug turn out many turns (threaded), or does it just turn 1/4 to 1/3 then pulls out?

I have seen both types.

Chris 142 is preparing "I told you so"!

Yeah, I assumed the plastic drainplug on my kid's '98 Cavalier was regular threaded screw type plug...it turned out it was the 1/3 turn, pull out type and I broke brittle wing on the plastic plug with pliers while trying to screw out plug. I got a replacement plug and it works fine now and can be opened and closed just using fingertips without a tool.

OP's Saturn drainplug sounds like it's a regular screw type drainplug. If it can be accessed fairly easily and unscrewed, I'd still get a replacement plug because the plastic tends to fatigue and get brittle after 10 years or so. If it is difficult accessing and removing plastic drainplug, removing lower radiator hose may be the better way to go to drain radiator.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I tell my customers not to mess with that plug. if something goes wrong you're going to have to buy $150 radiator plus labor

+1 I don't know anything about that car, and realize you don't want to, but as a rule I take off the lower radiator hose, and drain it from there. Lets say I learned the hard way once.

+2 WAY easier and faster to remove the lower radiator hose and let it drain out.

Drain valves are slower, but less of a hassle compared to messing with hose clamps, especially worm style. They like to leak and cut into the hose.
Once I have one of those on good, I don't like messing with them. Also, pulling the lower rad hose is far messier and less controlled, IMO

Everybody is in a hurry nowadays, lol. Open the drain valve and sit back... crack open a beer(or two).
04.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back