UCL data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a reference for, or experience of, any actual measurements that have shown a benefit of UCLs. Specifically, has any UCL been shown to reduce cylinder, ring, or valve seat wear? Alternatively, has any UCL been shown to reduce friction (when in use) to a point that it increases power, decreases mileage, or reduces ring temperatures? I would be interested in any measured benefit, including fuel pump benefits.

Bottom line, are there real data to show that an additive to fuel can have the effects above.

GMorg, unfortunately all the BITOG data reported is 'warm, fuzzy feeling.'

What sticks out to me were the brief mentions of FP and LC by Terry. http://www.lcdinc.com/tests.php

I could say I saw an increase in MPG with FP60, but its all in the noise and not statistically significant. Same with Lucas UCL in a previous vehicle.

I don't believe that TCW3 increases MPG. No hard data despite what anyone says. I do use it occasionally and have a hard time discerning any 'smooth' running either. My vehicles just don't respond to fuel adds. If I can't pick out a difference in my MPG spreadsheet, its just a hopeful, preventative maintenance.

Originally Posted By: dparm
People seem to believe UCLs are necessary to offset the effects of the ethanol content of gasoline (up to 10%).

That sounds like the same thing they used to say when we went to unleaded gas. Although the lead did serve as a lubricant. They sold UCL's way before they added ethanol to gas and I will never in no way believe that 10% ethanol reduced the lubricity of the gas. I don't look at gas to be much of a lubricant.

To answer the OP's question, I don't think you'll find any data. I think it is at best a placebo.

I have gained and maintained a .5 MPG increase since running TCW3 1oz/5gal 6 tanks ago. Cheap enough to keep doing it.

dwcopple: Would you be willing to share your raw data? It sounds like you have 6 observations for TCW3. How many non-TCW3 observations do you have? Did you switch back and forth or does your experimental design confound treatment with time and seasonal temps? Have you done a switch-back to see if your mileage goes back down? If you share the data, I will run the stats for you.

DWcopple: Are referencing the thread below? If so, it sounds like you had a single number from a variety of driving styles, you added TCW3 and reset your mileage monitor. You now have a second number, from a different time of year, including what may be a different percentage of highway driving, and now you have a second number. If so, you have a single observation for each treatment and you have confounding factors. I hope your mileage is actually better now, but I know that I cannot confirm that TCW3 is the cause based on the observations in this thread. I suggest that you consider running a this tank down to near empty and then switch back to see if your mileage drops. You will have to do this several times to deal with weather and driving styles.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3015734#Post3015734

Originally Posted By: GMorg
DWcopple: Are referencing the thread below? If so, it sounds like you had a single number from a variety of driving styles, you added TCW3 and reset your mileage monitor.
I didn't reset anything. That gain has appeared and stuck around since I posted the increase.

I'm a little disappointed at this point in the lack of a robust offering of data or experience.

We do have a Sarge referral and dwcopple's first hand experience. I think that dwcopple's experience is consistent with an UCL effect, but does not prove one yet. If dwcopple's results are representative, his mileage is up much more than he has stated. However, he does not have repetition build into his experimental design. In addition, the presented result is a running average from the time of purchase. The current average mileage includes the historical averages as part of the calculation. This strategy dilutes current effects.

I have never seen a MPG increase from using MMO as an UCL. I just started using TCW3 and just started my third tank and so I am reserving judgment until after the fifth tank or so but right now no gain. However, please note that I always run Top Tier fuel and synthetic oils and I consistently put in a bottle of Techron every 3000-4000 miles.

I will say that I did notice a smoother idle from the UCL, and I am not one to judge oils by noise or the butt dyno like so many here. TWC3 is extremely cheap and so I plan to use up the ST gallon in my two vehicles. When it is gone and then I will decide whether to keep it up or not.

Reduced my emissions vs 2 years ago. I started adding TC-W3 in October 2012. Look at the HC reading. The car is 20 years old and the engine is original.

2yy1npu.jpg

TCW-3 may have helped remove deposits from the valve seats and the backs of the valves (deposits absorb fuel mixture) to improve emissions.

This UCL also likely helped keep the piston rings from sticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back