Antiseize - Copper vs Nickle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
LOL. What about the aviation mechanic Yahoos?

The Champion aviation spark plug page states their plugs are coated to resist thread corrosion problems.

Yet, Champion markets an aviation antisieze for spark plugs only:
antiseize.jpg

Yeah I doubt those Champion aviation plugs have a zinc chromate plating. Anyways why are we comparing Aviation to Automobile? Way off track here....

Hmm amazing what Google search can provide, the common denominator seems to be zinc-chromate coated threads.

Autolite
We do not recommend the use of any anti seize products for installing spark plugs. Anti-seize compounds are typically composed of metallic, electrically conductive ingredients. If anti seize compounds come in contact with the core nose of the plugs, it can lead to a misfire condition. Anti seize compounds can also have a torque multiplying effect when installing plugs. This can lead to thread distortion and thread galling resulting in cylinder head damage. Autolite spark plugs are nickel plated to resist the effects of corrosion and seizing. However, plug seizure is aggravated further when steel plugs are installed into aluminum cylinder heads for a long period of time.

AC/Delco
Do not use any type of anti-seize compound on spark plug threads. Doing this will decrease the amount of friction between the threads. The result of the lowered friction is that when the spark plug is torqued to the proper specification, the spark plug is turned too far into the cylinder head. This increases the likelihood of pulling or stripping the threads in the cylinder head. Over-tightening of a spark plug can cause stretching of the spark plug shell and could allow blowby to pass through the gasket seal between the shell and insulator. Over-tightening also results in extremely difficult removal.

Champion
The following material is excerpted from the Champion Spark Plug Handbook.

Champion spark plug shells (the threaded part) use an extruded steel to maintain exact tolerances. The extruded shell goes through a cold rolling process to form the threads. This prevents sharp edges which could cut new threads into aluminum cylinder heads. Once the shell is formed and threaded, it is zinc-plated to extend its life and reduce the chances of seizure in aluminum cylinder heads. Our latest technology combines Tin Tac" and ULTRASEAL'M coatings over the plating to further reduce corrosion and seizure. Champion recommends that you do not use an anti-seize compound, since one has already been applied to the plugs at the factory.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Yeah I doubt those Champion aviation plugs have a zinc chromate plating. Anyways why are we comparing Aviation to Automobile? Way off track here....

Adding incorrect assumptions is what derails these educational debates. Here is the Champion aviation website, easy enough to find on Google: http://www.championaerospace.com/products/spark-plugs/

The point of aviation spark plugs compared to automobile? We are debating the conundrum of plug mfg. recommending no antiseize vs. the antiseize mfg. and years of professional mechanics advocating its use.

Aviation is even MORE sensitive to failure. My example is that Champion advertises anti seize plating, yet still markets an anti seize compound specifically for aviation plug use.

Are they Yahoos also??

sparkplugs-detail.png

Originally Posted By: Vikas
when you purchase new quality O2 sensor, it comes with copper anti-seize and I think O2 sensors get very hot.
+ 1 and they usually give you far more than you need.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: zloveraz

Adding incorrect assumptions is what derails these educational debates. Here is the Champion aviation website, easy enough to find on Google: http://www.championaerospace.com/products/spark-plugs/

The point of aviation spark plugs compared to automobile? We are debating the conundrum of plug mfg. recommending no antiseize vs. the antiseize mfg. and years of professional mechanics advocating its use.

Aviation is even MORE sensitive to failure. My example is that Champion advertises anti seize plating, yet still markets an anti seize compound specifically for aviation plug use. Shouldn't we be using these in ALL high output air colled engines?
smile.gif

Are they Yahoos also??

sparkplugs-detail.png

A factory trained BMW bike mechanic told me many years ago when I bought my first airhead to use antiseize on ANY plug other than plated Bosch OEM. Much has changed in the interval since, and I use NGK platinum in our bikes now but I still use a thin coat of antiseize. A tiny amount on the threads and another tiny amount on each side of the crush washer. Derate the torque by 15 to 20%. Never had a plug stick, (and I live within sight of the ocean) and never had one loosen up.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Aviation is even MORE sensitive to failure. My example is that Champion advertises anti seize plating, yet still markets an anti seize compound specifically for aviation plug use. Shouldn't we be using these in ALL high output air colled engines?
smile.gif

Point taken, HerrStig. Plane engines vs. automotive engines is apples and oranges. The issues of over torque, plug fouling, and electrical conductivity are the same though.

My factory service manual for my '05 Caravan with Champion plugs recommends the use of anti seize.

"There will never be agreement on this topic"....is all that we can agree on!

Reminds me of a current building electrical problem I am investigating at work. Even with knowledge of the local and state codes, 5 electricians on the project cannot agree on the correct/proper/best way to fix the problem.

Though I walk through the valley of stuck plugs, I fear not corrosion, for antisieze is with me.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I have both, and both work. I haven't had any problems with either one. I've had the Ni neverseize for 30 years; got it before neverseize was popularly available. It started running low, so I recently bought the Permatex blend at the local store. I think it's formulated as an all-around neverseize for nearly all DIY applications.

BTW, I appreciate Shannow's post on the pitfalls with copper antiseize - very informative.

Ditto to ALL of that; spooky.
I've had a tin of Never - Seez for 30 years, I'm looking for a replacement and the copper info of Shannow opened my eyes to that pitfall.
I've used my N-S sparingly; hoarded it like a miser and beat off attempts by others to use it - Mine, I tell you, mine. Keep off.
Others were using Copaslip, but my N-S was king of the heap. Actually, I'm surprised to find its contents are so mundane - these days I could easily make my own from some copper and ally graphite goop mixed and for a fraction of the price. Ah well.
I've noticed the US price of nickel N-S is dirt cheap compared to over here (UK and Ireland) and it's even worth paying the shipping for an 8oz tin that will last me another three decades
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back