OAT Mopar coolent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a Fiat 500. In the drivers handbook it specified an OAT coolent, and since I needed to top off my coolent level, I called up my dealer to ask how much a gallon was. They said it would be $75. It ended up to be cheaper to drive to the dealer and have them top it off for free, so I did. When I got home, I opened the hood to inspect their work, and low and behold the fluid they added was orange/red. The original color was blue. Is there an OAT coolent on the market to meet the mopar spec that is red? Did the dealer use a cheap coolent just to save money? And will this void my warrantee if I go back in there for a service in the future and have them say "you used the wrong fluid, your warrantee is TOASTE!

The fluid for my '12 Charger is red so it very well may have been the right coolant. I wouldn't hurt to ask the dealership but they will always cover their "you know what's".

I think the Mopar OAT Coolant MS-12106 is the same as the Fiat. Mopar uses a different dye. It is purple. My guess is they used the Chrysler OAT coolant. It costs $18 a gallon. Your warranty will stay intact if the dealership used the MS-12106.

According to the SAE article that doitmyself posted above-the orange G-05 Mopar HOAT coolant is NOT the same as the purple Fiat OAT coolant, may not be compatible-I would make them get it out of there!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
According to the SAE article that doitmyself posted above-the orange G-05 Mopar HOAT coolant is NOT the same as the purple Fiat OAT coolant, may not be compatible-I would make them get it out of there!

Maybe not, Mr. Moose. Presto change-o, orange to purple:
rocky_bullwinklex.jpg

My point was that in 2012(?) the initial (FIAT) version of the new OAT was orange, the same color as the HOAT. Maybe the orange used for the OP was the original Fiat version and he is o.k..

He should double check with the dealer.

Look at page 4 of this MOPAR bulletin to see that the new OAT was introduced as orange, then offered as a service part in purple:
http://starparts.chrysler.com/newsletters/newsletter_Oct_2012.pdf

Right, your article did state that the new Fiat coolant was originally orange-but so is the old G-05 formula-and seriously, what are the odds that a CHRYSLER dealer, without a Fiat studio there, would have the correct (older) Fiat orange coolant? Slim-but there's no way to tell whether it'll hurt anything or not. Unfortunately, another example of why I'm not a fan of new vehicle dealership service, too much screwing up (in my experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back