Wife's Scion making weird growling noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At around 2000 RPM, if you "get into it" to try to accelerate without downshifting. It's an '05, with the 1NZ-FE and 5 speed, I tried premium gas to rule out pinging/carbon buildup, and even swapped out the M1 0W30 AFE for 5W30 EP to see if maybe it was engine related, made no difference. Any Scion or Yaris owners ever hear this? Hoping it's not a cam phaser problem, it actually makes a growling noise when it does it, 44K miles on it.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
At around 2000 RPM, if you "get into it" to try to accelerate without downshifting. It's an '05, with the 1NZ-FE and 5 speed, I tried premium gas to rule out pinging/carbon buildup, and even swapped out the M1 0W30 AFE for 5W30 EP to see if maybe it was engine related, made no difference. Any Scion or Yaris owners ever hear this? Hoping it's not a cam phaser problem, it actually makes a growling noise when it does it, 44K miles on it.

Take a video and post it. Until then stop beating on your wifes car or she will be wanting a new one....

I can't tell what kinda car it is just by "Scion". what model?!

It's hard to pinpoint anything if you come in and just say "my Honda is making noise"
33.gif
which Honda?!?!

Originally Posted By: Artem

It's hard to pinpoint anything if you come in and just say "my Honda is making noise"
33.gif
which Honda?!?!

It's a Scion xA; only the xA used the 1.5L 1NZ-FE.

33.gif
which Honda?!?!
Sorry-it's an '05 xB, same engine as the xA, Yaris, some Echos had. If the transaxle goes it's getting the Corolla 5th gear transplant-it is geared too low for decent travel above 60 or so. I'm just curious what noise the VVTi makes when it is failing, never heard a noise like this before in anything.

What do you mean by being geared too low? Is the Corolla 5th gear taller? meaning, the RPMs will be lower on the highway?

What do you mean by being geared too low? Is the Corolla 5th gear taller? meaning, the RPMs will be lower on the highway?

Correct.

Don't mean to dig up a thread from the grave, but I'm having the exact same issue. It's around 2000 RPMs on acceleration, sounds like an air intake growl, but I only noticed it after having my serpentine belts replaced. Now the sound won't go away. Any idea? I have a Scion xA 2006 automatic.

Scion xB 2005 owner. I had noise which worked out to be rear wheel bearing, I would check it out! Only problem ever had on car.

If it's coming from lower part of the engine compartment on the passenger's side, it's the water pump bearings failing. Get ready for a new one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back