1995 Taurus running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Heck I have MMO, Motorkote, & Spectrum Plus Trans Sealer in my SL2. Shifts grrrreat

Oops, I forgot. I also have Slick50 Auto Trans in there.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Exhaust contains water vapor and many muffler's have weep holes in them to drain this water out so it doesn't rot it out prematurely.

What engine does this have? 3.0 or 3.8? You may not have a head gasket issue; what you see may be normal.

It is 3.0

There is no smoke at all. Is exhaust leak
Was small amount of water, I was just concerned that it was there and could not identify another source.

Today, ill see how it wants to shift. Somehow, someway, it lost all gears coming home (redlining 3rd gear in bridhe) then to 1st only. Worked fine but

Confirmed leaking water pump from weep hole.

Costs $30, easy to do.

Getting water pump.

Now, how much do driving with this leak flush my cooling system?

The instrument panel cluster gauges seem to move in a manner suggesting voltage spikes, and this affects car operation. What could this be?

This weird thing that I have to do with the Taurus. after driving a good amount it, it seems to lose overdrive. I confirm this before I got on the highway. I had to do this yesterday too. sure enough in the parking lot it only has first. same as yesterday.

I disconnect the battery and reconnect it and it will work fine.

this also tells me that I probably did not need a range which.

????

The King must be very generous. Good luck GHT

This.

I also believe that GreeCguy is Carnoobie.
crazy2.gif

smirk.gif

Posta like tgat cintribyte nothing.

Now, tge rhing seems to lose overdrive then every other ear test first. this after being driven pretty much all day. I disconnect and reconnect the battery and it works fine

posting from my phone was also doesn't work right but what could be going on there?

If it loses OD when hot, cool it off. Get an external cooler or rig the radiator fan to run more, maybe use a toggle switch.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
smirk.gif

Posta like tgat cintribyte nothing.

Certainly, posting from your phone contributes nothing either. It's complete gibberish and just adds further confusion to your already wandering mind. Please stop.

Have you checked the transmission fluid? The level will change as it heats and I imagine could affect operation. It should really be changed if you're keeping the car.
It might also simply be overheating. The transmission fluid is cooled through the radiator. I think you said you replaced that. Make sure the lines aren't leaking or anything.

Quote:
The instrument panel cluster gauges seem to move in a manner suggesting voltage spikes, and this affects car operation. What could this be?

Are the headlights also pulsing brighter and dimmer, along with the dash gauges? Especially the voltmeter? My Pontiac did the same thing when I bought it.
It sounds like a bad rectifier. On GM's the rectifier is inside the alternator. I think Ford had it external for some years, I don't know about your car.
The alternator produces alternating current. The rectifier converts that into DC. If the rectifier fails you can get AC in the car's electrical system which makes the voltage pulse up and down. It's probably stressful for the power supply filtering in the ECM, and might also cause erratic sensor feedback.
I don't think this is causing your OD issue, but it should still be fixed.

From the way it acts, I'm wondering if you have a solenoid going bad on the transmission. This happens sometimes with computerized transmissions. I've never dealt with it myself but as transmission repairs go they're not so bad to replace. It might not be an internal problem.
You might research whether there's a solenoid in/on your transmission which is responsible for engaging OD and fits your symptoms. If so, find out if there's some way to test it and what's involved in replacing it. If this repair is feasible, then it should probably be done at the same time as a filter and fluid replacement. Clean off the magnet if there is one. Adjusting bands would also be good, but if you don't have the tools and good instructions then leave it alone.

When it loses overdrive, does it still try to go in and slip? Just in case, to be safe, I'd lock out overdrive when it isn't working.

Time for centralized post.

I have a desire to service the trans. I also think the fluid is overheating. How hard is a pan drop, even to re-fit with a pan with a drain plug?

Otherwise, she seems to run worst at end of day after hard use... Would be consistent with fluid overheat.

is the fluid dark and burnt smelling ?

Taurus is not hard to drop the pan on , lots of info on the internet .

I owned a few Taurus's in the past , they all served me and other family members well who owned them .

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The King must be very generous. Good luck GHT

This.

I also believe that GreeCguy is Carnoobie.
crazy2.gif

No, GreeCguy always has been GreeCguy and will always remain GreeCguy. As it is written, so let it be done.

(This is one confusing thread)

A pan drop is rather easy on a Taurus. If you're water pump is going bad however, I would tackle that first. MAKE SURE IT'S GONE BAD BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO CHANGE IT - IT'S NOT A QUICK JOB. It's fairly simple and straight forward, but you've got to take a lot of stuff off to get to the water pump and you're working in cramped quarters.

DON'T DRIVE THIS CAR HARD - SHE'S OLD AND TIRED. Be gentle. Bring her some roses. Tell her you love her and will always be there for her. Play some soft music. Chocolate always works wonders. She'll come around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back