Wix vs Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
In general which do you prefer? Both are highly reguarded on bitog but im a wix guy run alot of napa platinums on my cars carquest red on friends cars carquest blue on my girlfriends.

I would like to know also. I just recently posted some inquiries about WIX oil filters and from the more knowledgeable members here, they are saying the P1 is a better filter.
I'm still somewhat a new student as to the internal specs and materials and why/how they are made. I find the coil spring vs the leaf spring very interesting.

Both very good filters. Which is better? I think this depends on application!

I don't dislike WIX! It's just that the only place that sell'em near me is (a.k.a NAPA) and they're not conviently located, ever on sale and their store hours don't fit my schedule or(OR) some privately owned parts stores(WIX Brand) and they're expensive.

OTOH, Purolator Filters are sold at 3 stores that I frequent, are often on sale and the store(s) hours fit my schedule nicely. So for me, it's all about availability.

I prefer the one that costs less at the time of purchase.

Both are well more than satisfactory for anything I'd put them through.

My wallet will realize a difference long before my equipment will.

^yep - I stocked up on some WIX for $0.75/ea with the O'reilly coupon deal recently, so that makes it a better filter for me
laugh.gif

never used wix filters, purolators on the other hand i have for years, and never had any problems with them in various vehilces.

imo, whichever of the two you can find at the best price point is best.

Both are the best designs in oil filtration. You can't go wrong with either.

I use Motorcraft, which is by default Purolator.

the purolators i can see and take out of the box the other ones seem to be in hiding around here
the purolators are cheaper also i use them when i am out of a certain filter at the shop

Last edited:
people tout the filtration of the P1, but if that comes at the cost of flow, is that such a good thing?

another question, many filters tout their advanced "glass fiber" media - what if a glass fiber breaks free, oh great, now you essentially have sand running around in your engine!

and who is to say that the ADBV design isn't the most important feature of all, why does only a Motorcraft filter completely quiet KCJeep's noisy Jeep?

and when people badmouth leaf type springs or fiber end caps, any real science or evidence to back that up?

Originally Posted By: LScowboy
people tout the filtration of the P1, but if that comes at the cost of flow, is that such a good thing?

PureOne is not restrictive ... here's real science.
grin.gif
Don't know how long it's going to take to prove that old rumor is false.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

And besides, the engine can't tell an oil filter is restrictive until the oil pump goes into pressure relief mode. Anytime the positive displacement oil pump is operating below the pressure relief point, all the oil volume coming out of the pump goes through the filter & engine ... unless the pump is totally shot and leaks internally, thereby not operating like a PD pump should. A more restrictive filter will also makes the PD pump go into pressure relief mode sooner.

An engine's oiling circuit is typically 15 times more restrictive than the oil filter ... the filter is a very small part of the total system resistance to flow.

Originally Posted By: LScowboy
another question, many filters tout their advanced "glass fiber" media - what if a glass fiber breaks free, oh great, now you essentially have sand running around in your engine!

if the filter media should fail, I don't want anything in the media to be similar to sand and screw my engine, at least if paper should tear a bit and a little piece gets into my engine, nothing will get damaged

Last edited:
If cellulose media blows out, a chunk of that will tear things up too. You got a couple thou bearing clearance at most.

Many full synthetic media types used today are a polyester, or some such similar material. Fiberglass media is still out there, though.

Any media that comes apart will damage the engine, so it's like choosing the firing squad vs lethal injection: Either way you are dead... BUT the synthetic media filters are much less likely to degrade and fall apart than cellulose so while you may be able to say a chunk of fiberglass might do more damage than a chunk of cellulose, the likelihood of the fiberglass failing is much less than the cellulose I think

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
BUT the synthetic media filters are much less likely to degrade and fall apart than cellulose so while you may be able to say a chunk of fiberglass might do more damage than a chunk of cellulose, the likelihood of the fiberglass failing is much less than the cellulose I think

JA, I know this might seem like a loaded Q?, but, how likely would it be for a cellulose media filter to come apart? Would you say it's safer to use a synthetic media filter to just avoid having this problem occur? Or, are the odds of it happening extrmely high?
For instance, my filter is the MC FL-400S; if I were to upgrade one step, would you recommend a WIX Gold, P1, CQ Blue, FU? Or, am I just over reacting?

Not likely in either case, Blue. Cellulose can degrade over time but from what I have researched, that's years and year down the road or if there is a LOT of water in the oil. And even then, the resins can hold it together most times. No worries! The odds are about the same as a plane flying overhead dumping its holding tank on your freshly painted car that you just pulled out of the garage.

I'm a strong proponent of syn filters but only if you plan on running them out to get the full life (either a long OCi or, Deity-forbid in your case, a double FCI). From the way I understand your use and OCI, the MC is fine... or any quality brand name cellulose filter. The one upgrade that is a little more important, IMO, is the silicone ADBV... which you already have in the MC

I use the Wix 51515 and the Purolator sourced Motorcraft FL-1A on my F-150 interchangeably. On the G, I use mostly Wix and Bosch Premium (another Purolator product). I like both. For the F-150, I get a better price on the Wix. For the G, the Bosch is a touch cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I use the Wix 51515 and the Purolator sourced Motorcraft FL-1A on my F-150 interchangeably. On the G, I use mostly Wix and Bosch Premium (another Purolator product). I like both. For the F-150, I get a better price on the Wix. For the G, the Bosch is a touch cheaper.

WM here in the
34.gif
sells the MC FL-1A for $3.97. WIX filters are cheaper than MC up north? AY?

It depends on the application. Motorcraft filters here are only available from the dealer. The FL-1A is usually in the neighborhood of $7 or so. I happen to get the Wix 51515 for $4.99, but that's with a corporate discount. But, for my G, the Wix is reasonable, but there are a number of cheaper options for that application, including the Motorcraft cross, so it's reversed for that situation.

Wix.

Puros are good, but I've heard a lot less start up noise with Wix than I did with Purolator; there are several threads where folks had more startup noise using Puros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back