fast 4 cyl race cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go back to 1986 and look at what kind of power the BMW M12/13 was making in Formula 1.

1.5L turbo 4 cylinder making nearly 1,300 HP in qualifying trim and 800-900 in race trim.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Go back to 1986 and look at what kind of power the BMW M12/13 was making in Formula 1.

1.5L turbo 4 cylinder making nearly 1,300 HP in qualifying trim and 800-900 in race trim.

According to this bloke in 86 qualifying trim was 1,350 HP.
shocked2.gif

Yes a lot of folklore follows this famous engine, all used blocks with over 100,000km, left outside the factory to weather, mechanics peeing on the block for good luck.. No I'm not making this stuff up after all this was the crazy 80's...
11.gif

http://youtu.be/eG-4sSoXlaM

^^^I can remember on trips to the junkyard with my Mentor being told how he wanted an older more weathered iron block over a new one.

Not sure if this relates well to your story, but I have heard machinists tell me the same thing. They prefer "seasoned" to brand new.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz

shocked2.gif

I've heard up to 1500 HP in 'overboost' qualifying trim, but WHO knows for sure?
21.gif

Fast four-cylinders? Turbo Offy's in the classic era at Indy before boost limits were enacted. 1000 HP in qualifying trim on 40 pounds of methanol-fueled boost. That much power in a modern chassis could probably do a 250 mph lap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: zloveraz

shocked2.gif

I've heard up to 1500 HP in 'overboost' qualifying trim, but WHO knows for sure?
21.gif

Oh to be able to put my foot into that much power JUST ONCE!

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I've heard the same thing about seasoned blocks. Something about the heat/cool down cycles make them keep their specs better.

I think it also helps to normalize the material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back