2012 toyota camry SE (toyota ws or amsoil ATF?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 toyota camry SE with 2.5l. Toyota says trans fluid (toyota ws) is "lifetime" fluid but dealership where I bought it says they recommend changing it every 60k.

Now here's the kicker. My dealership has "Lifetime Powertrain" warranty as long as I do factory scheduled services on it. There is no factory service for trans fluid.
They want $175 for service.

Should I drain & refill or let them do it anyways. If I do it should i use toyota ws or amsoil (I'm a dealer so price is not a factor) that way if down the road I did have trans problems I have no paper trail of me doing the service myself?

I'd actually listen to the dealer and change the fluid or at least do a pan drop & refill every 60k, the WS is pretty robust and should last.

If they're offering a lifetime power train, I'd definetely have them do the service for $175. Personally, that's cheap insurance for a lifetime powertrain warranty.

As a general rule, there's no such thing as a lifetime fill..
When you do your 60 or 90k service at the dealer, I'll bet they change the fluid anyway, thus making you think you have a lifetime fill when you really don't.

Why not use the warranty to its fullest and run the Original fluid for 300,000 miles and see what happens? If the tranny fails, you get a new transmission, if the tranny lasts for 300k or as long as you own the vehicle, you just saved $175 x oil changes every 50k.

Sounds like a no brainier to me. Pick a route you want to go.
35.gif

Originally Posted By: EricF
I'd actually listen to the dealer and change the fluid or at least do a pan drop & refill every 60k, the WS is pretty robust and should last.

If they're offering a lifetime power train, I'd definetely have them do the service for $175. Personally, that's cheap insurance for a lifetime powertrain warranty.

As a general rule, there's no such thing as a lifetime fill..
When you do your 60 or 90k service at the dealer, I'll bet they change the fluid anyway, thus making you think you have a lifetime fill when you really don't.

$175 is cheap insurance? That's $700 over the course of 200,000 miles (changed every 50k at the OP's dealer suggested)

Toyota is the one offering the lifetime warranty, not the dealership.

There is no such thing as "lifetime" fluid for an automatic transmission.

Drain and fill is very easy on these cars. Even though Toyota calls it a "sealed" transmission, it still has a drain plug and dipstick tube.

As for 60k, even that may be too much. I'd drain and fill at 30k, and a lot of people recommend such an interval.

For what fluid to use, I like Mag 1 Low-Vis Synthetic ATF. 6 quarts for less than $30.

Im kind of inclined to putting the dealer to task on the warranty, given that the book doesnt say any interval.

That said, youre more likely to have goodwill if you actually do it, and IMO 60k is a good interval to service.

So Id do it, keep the receipts, and go for it.

If you think youll only keep the car 100-150k, Id likely think twice about spending the money on it though, as lifetime likely means a bit over 100k, and they do claim to provide the warranty (read the fine print on it though!!).

Id stick with WS instead of a one size fits all fluid.

I recently bought 15 qts of WS to do a flush on my Tacoma (did it at 100K). The parts guy at Wolfchase Toyota worked with me on the price. Can't remember the exact price he gave it to me for, but he's always given me a discount when I've asked.

You may try asking your dealer parts guy. Lots of times they will work with you because they want to move inventory.

It says inspect but my dealership has the lifetime powertrain. I've got a certificate for it and all

Agree, 50-60k is good. Would stick with WS only. Remember, because there's no full cold/hot dipstick for measuring and the fill level is "overflow" from the fill bolt, the fluid in your 2010 u760e needs to be heated and expanded to get the level right. (between 40°C (104°F) and 45°C (113°F).

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Agree, 50-60k is good. Would stick with WS only. Remember, because there's no full cold/hot dipstick for measuring and the fill level is "overflow" from the fill bolt, the fluid in your 2010 u760e needs to be heated and expanded to get the level right. (between 40°C (104°F) and 45°C (113°F).

Assuming you've had no leaks, could you just carefully measure the ounces that came out and reinstall the same amount?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Assuming you've had no leaks, could you just carefully measure the ounces that came out and reinstall the same amount?

If you think its right, sure. But to know for sure you have to heat the fluid. And because its a fill/overflow bolt measure when hot, be careful, the bolt and the fluid near your face can get too HOT, beyond the temps above!

If you think its right, sure. But to know for sure you have to heat the fluid. And because its a fill/overflow bolt measure when hot, be careful, the bolt and the fluid near your face can get too HOT, beyond the temps above!

Yes, this is true. Some have tried measuring the pan underside with an IR gun, but it's inaccurate.

On my Tacoma, you can use a jumper wire to bridge 2 connections in the OBD port and do some song and dance with shifting the gear selector from neutral to drive several times, which sends it into diagnostic mode. A lit or flashing "Trans temp" light indicates proper fluid temp range to do the level check at. May be a similar procedure on the Camry.

Worked perfectly for me.

Originally Posted By: Artem

Toyota is the one offering the lifetime warranty, not the dealership.

He says it's from the dealership, not the manufacturer, which is probably a gimmick. There's probably a loophole in there for them to get out of it.

I've got a certificate for warranty that lists all warrantied items and also states as long as I do all scheduled services and have written documents it will be covered.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Yes, this is true. Some have tried measuring the pan underside with an IR gun, but it's inaccurate.

On my Tacoma, you can use a jumper wire to bridge 2 connections in the OBD port and do some song and dance with shifting the gear selector from neutral to drive several times, which sends it into diagnostic mode. A lit or flashing "Trans temp" light indicates proper fluid temp range to do the level check at. May be a similar procedure on the Camry.

Worked perfectly for me.

Yeah, jumping 4 and 13 works. But I wonder why that temp range, not full hot operating temps. Is the fill bolt partially submerged at higher temps?

Originally Posted By: rcbc96
I've got a certificate for warranty that lists all warrantied items and also states as long as I do all scheduled services and have written documents it will be covered.
And the chase is on. Do they stipulate NEW or REMAN replacement? They're not gonna rebuild one at the dealer.

Yeah that I don't know. As long as I get at least 175,000 before anything happens I won't complain about either one

Originally Posted By: rcbc96

As long as you do "whose" scheduled services? If transmission fluid replacement is not a scheduled service in your owner's manual, you shouldn't have to do it for this warranty, even a dealer's warranty.

There may, however, be fine print in the owner's manual that the fluid should be changed every 50,000 miles or something if the car is used in "severe" conditions that includes a number of all sorts of things that the dealer could say are prevalent in your area (traffic, weather, etc).

As long as I do Toyota scheduled services. The only thing it says is to check the fluid. It doesn't say anything at all about ever changing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back