Is Trufuel supposed to be clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used one of the cans of Trufuel I bought from O'Reillys this weekend. The fuel pouring out was clear amber, like straight gasoline. I'm used to premixed fuel looking dark, from the 2-cycle oil. Is this normal for Trufuel? I know they say they use special synthetic oils, but still...I didn't anticipate it to look like straight gasoline.

I've emailed Trufuel, but thought I'd ask here as well. What's your experience?

It seems like the brand new Tru-Fuel is clear, which I don't like either. I don't remember the older stuff setting off my "straight gas!" alarm.

Amsoil Interceptor caused me to paint my garage floor once with pre-mix as well, it's honey colored and doesn't have the blue or green dye like other oils. I had a knee-jerk reaction and pulled the fuel hose out of the filler on my Lawn-Boy.

My can of truefuel (bought about a year ago) is light pink, just like VW coolant. I suspect it's dyed to be that color so clear wouldn't surprise me.

There are 3 flavors of TruFuel now. 40:1, 50:1, and 4 stroke. The 4 stroke is straight, ethanol free fuel, and should not have a tint. I just noticed this when picking up a 50:1 last week.

Dave

Yeah it can be. The 40:1 stuff I bought this year is clear. The stuff from last year (50:1) was pink. I can vouch that it works though, and my 2-stroke equipment runs very very well, and very very clean. No oily exhaust, no spark plug deposits. It's a beautiful thing, really.

I should have clarified that it was the 50:1. And it may have been slightly pink. I'll have to look again. I only remember that it wasn't dark, and that alarmed me. I'll be sure to post Trufuel's reply if I receive one.

I'll also pour some into a clear jar and see what the color is.

I was never one to buy premixed fuel (that's only for that Starbucks crowd, ya know, too good to mix their own fuel!). But I must say, for as much fuel as I actually do use (not much), the notion of premixed fuel with no extra oil or stabilizer to buy appeals to me. If it weren't for the O'Reillys promotion, I'd have likely never tried some. But if I like it as much as others do, I'll probably continue to buy it.

+1 for 2 stroke OPE it's just a no brained. You will spend the money one way IR another, either on trufuel, or replacing the fuel lines, bulbs and other things from hardening of the rubber due to ethanol.

My HD now has VP SEF in 40:1 50:1 and straight 4cycle fuel no more Trufuel.

The stuff I bought last year was tinted pink like a regular 2 cycle mix. It was 50:1. I only bought it or the blower as it was near the end of the season and I didn't want to mix up a gallon for a couple weeks worth of use.

IMHO I noticed no difference between the stuff I mix and TruFuel in the leaf blower (my only 2 cycle stuff). It started well and ran fine just like the swill (I think 2 year old gas) I used before that. Maybe it would perform better in a weed whacker or other 2 cycle engine? That being said, IMHO it's not worth the $6/qt I paid for it.

Not really concerned about fuel lines. They lasted 7 years on my blower (2006-2013) and the $7 I spent for them (before finding it was the tank) still made my swill cheaper than TruFuel.

Sure 'nuff...it is pink. It pours clear, but when you get it in a cup and look at it, the color becomes...uh...clear. Heh heh...

IMG_0628.JPG

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Sure 'nuff...it is pink. It pours clear, but when you get it in a cup and look at it, the color becomes...uh...clear. Heh heh...

IMG_0628.JPG

DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME WHEN YOU ARE THIRSTY!!

I'm using the 40:1 and it's blue, I just opened the can last month.

The last can I bought, about 2 years ago, was also blue.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
The stuff I bought last year was tinted pink like a regular 2 cycle mix. It was 50:1. I only bought it or the blower as it was near the end of the season and I didn't want to mix up a gallon for a couple weeks worth of use.

IMHO I noticed no difference between the stuff I mix and TruFuel in the leaf blower (my only 2 cycle stuff). It started well and ran fine just like the swill (I think 2 year old gas) I used before that. Maybe it would perform better in a weed whacker or other 2 cycle engine? That being said, IMHO it's not worth the $6/qt I paid for it.

Not really concerned about fuel lines. They lasted 7 years on my blower (2006-2013) and the $7 I spent for them (before finding it was the tank) still made my swill cheaper than TruFuel.

True, if you use a bunch of fuel it doesn't make sense except for maybe a "last fill" of the season, and use the cheap fuel before that. That way it's not stored with ethanol, and you have the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

True, if you use a bunch of fuel it doesn't make sense except for maybe a "last fill" of the season, and use the cheap fuel before that. That way it's not stored with ethanol, and you have the best of both worlds.

Not sure I'd even say that. I've been using Stabil and MMO in the fuel mix for the last 2 years and storing things wet. Knock on wood, no issues here so far. I rotate my non 2-stroke gas storage every 6 months, once in the spring and once in the fall.

Blower, which is 2006, I replaced fuel lines this year and it still runs well and it's been run on some pretty old and crummy 2 stroke mix. Even ran it on gas + Rotella mix when I ran out of 2 stroke mix. Runs fine.

Weedwhacker, 2010 stored wet always runs fine.

Mower, 2008 stored wet starts fine.

Pressurewasher, 2011 same deal.

Generator - 2011, I alternate when I excercise it - sometimes run it dry sometimes I store wet.

Snowblower - this one I had issues with as I used to store it outside in the rain/snow during the winter at the old house. Replaced the carb this year and stored dry after a liberal application of WD 40.

Well I dunno guys, always mixed my own brew and not had problem with operation... I did repl fuel lines in my weed eater and chainsaw last year but both are around 10 years old, so for me $8 worth of fuel line is a non issue...

The weed eater is one of those $59/$69 specials and the saw along with two sisters, came from dumpster diving sometime prior to '05... Except for the fuel line, have exactly zero in all three of those... One leaks bar oil when setting so it's stored on it's side(it's only issue), problem solved... It's twin sister that also ran when I got it had broken fuel line, strainer was rattling around in the tank, it now has the new fuel line... Yes I used it for several years with the strainer off the line, finally broke near the tank exit so couldn't pick up fuel... The little sister with 16" bar(other two are 18") was loosely reassembled when I got it, no idea what may be wrong never checked it further...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back