Motul RBF 600 Brake fluid for daily driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is time to flush the brake fluid in my daily driver (1999 Acura TL). In the past I've used Valvoline Synpower or Castrol LMA. However a friend of mine can get me Motul RBF 600 at cost ($9/500 ml) and I'm considering using it. I know that this fluid is marketed towards track use and is way overkill, but for the price I can't pass it up. Will there be any issues if I use this for daily use (i.e. seals, abs, etc)? I've read that since this is meant for "racing" the fluid has to flushed more often. Any help would be appreciated.

According to Amazon it is a Synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid. I would imagine that it should be just fine based upon it's specifications.

I have never used it however.

Originally Posted By: redhat
According to Amazon it is a Synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid. I would imagine that it should be just fine based upon it's specifications.

I have never used it however.

Redhat,

Saw that too. I've read conflicting information online. Some have said that since the RBF600 is DOT 4 that it should be fine. However I've also read that due to the high boiling points that this fluid is more hygroscopic and requires a shorter replacement interval.

I've used RBF 600 exclusively for about 10 years in my Camaro and have never had a problem with it. Since it's a track day car, the brake system gets bled about 10 times a year, so I don't give water an opportunity to invade the system. I also use the Camaro as my winter car, and have not had any cold-weather issues.

I also run RBF600 in my Corvette and Dodge truck.

I've used it, as well. Found it too short-lived for my taste, so I stopped. No issues with seal compatibility etc. as far as I'm aware.

Generally speaking, the higher the boiling point of a brake fluid, the more hygroscopic it is, and thus the more often you'll have to change it; there are exceptions, but they are EXPENSIVE.

If you change your brake fluid every year or so, go ahead and use the RBF 600. If you'd like to wait longer between changes, consider using something else.

RBF600 supposedly absorbs moisture faster than normal fluid and won't last as long. Also, I heard that it's VERY reactive even by brake fluid standards, meaning if you get it on your skin you'll start to feel warm/burning a little. Not worth it unless you take your car to the track.

You should also consider Motul DOT 5.1, a tad cheaper than RBF600 and lower viscosity which is good for ABS.

Wagner Severeduty DOT5.1 is also a good option. It is available on Amazon and O'Reilly.

Of course, nothing wrong with Castrol LMA!

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Also, I heard that it's VERY reactive even by brake fluid standards, meaning if you get it on your skin you'll start to feel warm/burning a little. Not worth it unless you take your car to the track.

I can vouch for the warming sensation when you get it on your skin. It takes about a minute to feel it, though, and it goes away immediately when you wipe off your hands. Like I said, I run RBF600 in my Dodge pickup year-round, and bleed the system once a year. I've never had a problem with it.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Generally speaking, the higher the boiling point of a brake fluid, the more hygroscopic it is, and thus the more often you'll have to change it; there are exceptions, but they are EXPENSIVE.

Yes, and it is spelled Castrol React SRF racing brake fluid @ ~$80.00/liter!! Highest WET boiling point brake fluid on this planet.
wink.gif

I use the RBF 600 in both my brake and clutch reservoirs in a year round, daily driven, 15K + mile a year ride, but, I DO flush the brakes every 1.5-2 years, and flush the clutch every 1/2 year.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back