2012 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriends 2012 malibu requires 5W-30 Dexos approved oil. I bought her conventional PYB with no dexos imprint. Im sure theres no issue, is their?

What engine is in it? If it's direct-injected, get a full synthetic dexos1 oil. GM's DI engines beat up on oil.

And yes, GM will deny warranty if the wrong, ie not dexos1 or equivalent, oil is used.

The SIDI 2.4? That's a direct-injected engine, so PYB, as good an oil as it is, isn't for this application. I'd recommend Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30 instead. $20/5 quarts at Wal-Mart, or $25 for 5 quarts and a filter at Advance right now. That oil goes 8000 miles just fine in my turbocharged Cruze, so it should be good for a DI Malibu also.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

And yes, GM will deny warranty if the wrong, ie not dexos1 or equivalent, oil is used.

Not to derail this thread. But I highly doubt it.

Take the oil back and get Pennzoil gold synthetic blend or a full synthetic with the dexos logo. Dexos 1 approved oil is what is recommended in the manual. Also....the car has an oil life monitor that extends your drain interval. Personally, I would buy a full synthetic and folow the oil life monitor.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: sciphi

Not to derail this thread. But I highly doubt it.

+1 As it is nearly fact anyways. Keep in mind because of GM's screw up with the OLMs and having to replace engines (only of the DI/turbo'd ones), they are not going to deny you a new engine as long as you prove fresh oil is going in, DI or not. I've seen this happen to a few Traverses already...granted, these engines will still go a while even abused.

Though in the best INTEREST of these engines running dexos (or better yet synthetics) to help offer extra protection....

My Neighbor at the end of the block runs PYB in his 12' Nox, but he changes it at 3k on the DOT.....and it's running just fine....

I stand a little corrected. I did see a case where a Cruze owner was denied a new engine due to using the incorrect oil. Then again, that car was abused by running the oil far too long repeatedly.

The 2012 Malibu with the 2.4L uses the port-injected LE5 Ecotec. It's not a direct-injected engine, and it's not particularly "hard" on oil. The PYB should be just fine, though as others noted above, for strict compliance with dexos1, you'd want to use something like the Pennzoil Synthetic Blend or Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

If it were mine, I'd probably use the QSUD.

Originally Posted By: JAM25
My girlfriends 2012 malibu requires 5W-30 Dexos approved oil. I bought her conventional PYB with no dexos imprint. Im sure theres no issue, is their?

JAM25,

I don't know much compared to the GM engineers so that's why I would not buy any oil that not Dexos approved. If your on a budget I suggest you get PEAK synthetic. It's cheaper in cost compared to the other brands and is Dexos approved. That way your warranty would still be intact.

If you still have the receipt take it back and get a Dexos approved oil.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back