HELP: 36 lbs Torque by Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized I don't have a 10mm hex socket to fit the torque wrench for the ATF drain plug on my Toyota.

Definitely don't want to over tighten, and I don't want to drive with it too loose.

I'll get a socket tomorrow, but in the mean time I'm thinking this is somewhere between wrist and elbow tight. What do you think?

What I don't understand is 35 ft*lbf seems way too tight. I got it off rather easily by hand.

From the service manual:

torque.gif

As i see it. The 35 ft.lbf is for the drainplug.

The 18 bolts holding the pan shouldt e tightened only 7.6 nm which is practicly less then nothing. What size are the 18 bolts ? 6 mm ?

36 ft-lbs sounds about right IF you use a new gasket like you are supposed to.

IMO, 36 ft-lbs is equivalent to tightening the plug until it is tight (with moderate force), and then giving the ratchet a moderately-strong "whack" with your fist.

Originally Posted By: shDK
As i see it. The 35 ft.lbf is for the drainplug.

The 18 bolts holding the pan shouldt e tightened only 7.6 nm which is practicly less then nothing. What size are the 18 bolts ? 6 mm ?

Actually, 7.6 nm is not "less than nothing." In fact, it's 7.6 nm more than nothing.
smile.gif

Sounds like you should be buying some torque wrenches if you have to be asking these questions.

I personally own several, ranging from a cheap HF torque wrench (which works very well, do some reading online if you're interested) to considerably more expensive CDI and Armstrong torque wrenches.

I know lots of DIY'ers don't buy them, but I like to know the fasteners I touch are properly torqued. Even the cheap ones are far better than nothing.

Just snug it. Don't crank it. Treat it like an oil drain plug. Not cranked not loose just good and snug.

I think if you use a 3/8" drive ratchet, about 8 in length, you'll get it plenty tight without going overboard.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
36 ft-lbs sounds about right IF you use a new gasket like you are supposed to.

IMO, 36 ft-lbs is equivalent to tightening the plug until it is tight (with moderate force), and then giving the ratchet a moderately-strong "whack" with your fist.

Since I have to drain and refill two more times, I didn't replace the crush washer this first time.

I snugged it down as far as it will go using my wrist only. Seems to be OK for the moment.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Actually, 7.6 nm is not "less than nothing." In fact, it's 7.6 nm more than nothing.
smile.gif

Sounds like you should be buying some torque wrenches if you have to be asking these questions.

I personally own several, ranging from a cheap HF torque wrench (which works very well, do some reading online if you're interested) to considerably more expensive CDI and Armstrong torque wrenches.

I know lots of DIY'ers don't buy them, but I like to know the fasteners I touch are properly torqued. Even the cheap ones are far better than nothing.

Read my first post again. I already have torque wrenches, just not a 10mm drive bit hex socket.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Just snug it. Don't crank it. Treat it like an oil drain plug. Not cranked not loose just good and snug.

This.
Just tell yourself "a little tighter than my oil drain plug" as you tighten it, and bingo: within 10% accuracy. Guaranteed.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 535678

smile.gif

Read my first post again. I already have torque wrenches, just not a 10mm drive bit hex socket.

Ah , you're right, I did miss that.

Why don't you just wait until tomorrow when you have the correct socket?

Last edited:

Ah , you're right, I did miss that.

Why don't you just wait until tomorrow when you have the correct socket?

Need the car in the morning to get around.
grin.gif

I can't believe how much smoother this thing shifts with roughly 40% new fluid (Mobil 3309). It had never been changed before and Toyota recommends the first ATF change at 100,000 miles. I didn't get around to it until 105,000 (today) but really glad I did it.

How many miles would you wait for the second and third drain and refills?

u gots to do the following:

take a bothroom scale and push down with your index and the middle finger.
note down how many lbs of force you can exert.

say you can do 20lb, then you should hold the wrench 2ft from the drain plug and exert the same force.

good luck

Dig around your junk box for a 10mm headed bolt plus two nuts. (the nuts should jam together.) Put a 10mm female socket on your torque wrench and stick this blob in between. Presto, tighto.

You really don't have to wait. Driving the car to the socket-wrench store and back will mix the fluid sufficiently.
19.gif

I just realized I don't have a 10mm hex socket to fit the torque wrench for the ATF drain plug on my Toyota.

Pull it tight until you feel the new crush washer collapse just a bit and you will be fine. I never torque those but a new crush washer is mandatory.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
You really don't have to wait. Driving the car to the socket-wrench store and back will mix the fluid sufficiently.
19.gif

+1 and don't use your new crush washer until the last fill.

I have re-used the washer on a Toyota U341E several times now. The last two or three changes, I needed to tighten the plug a little extra. It was dripping after I snugged it to what felt like "enough" with an 8 or 10 inch ratchet.

That's another thing I need to pickup, a new crush washer.

How do you determine sizing of a new crush washer? I didn't have metric calipers handy but the old one measured .967" OD, .714" ID, and .075" thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back