Video of overhead cam in action at 14k rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
A BMW S1000RR 193hp bike engine.

What I found interesting was the amount the valves and valve springs spun around at maximum rev's. The valves were floating, perhaps only to a slight extent but floating nonetheless.

My oil doesn't see anywhere near 14k. More like 2k with brief spurts to 4.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

What I found interesting was the amount the valves and valve springs spun around at maximum rev's. The valves were floating, perhaps only to a slight extent but floating nonetheless.

I saw that too. Its at the point where the cams actually look as though they begin spinning the other way.
I saw the smoke and instantly thought that maybe an oil with a lower noack would vaporize less.
This bitog is a sickness

Originally Posted By: Burt

I disagree

On freeway ramp with no traffic my car sees average of 4.5-5k for about 20 seconds atlease.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
Originally Posted By: Burt

I disagree

On freeway ramp with no traffic my car sees average of 4.5-5k for about 20 seconds atlease.

You disagree? Are you and Burt sharing oil?

Originally Posted By: Falken
I'd love to see a V8 Mustang do 5k RPM for 20 sec up an on ramp.

My Fit sees it daily... The results aren't very impressive.

The 5.0L in my truck doesn't have a redline. The tach goes to 7,000 rpm. 5,000 is a piece of cake for the Coyote (and sounds good too!).

I used to shift my solid lifter cam Chevy drag car (w/ 355ci small block) at 6,000 rpm.

My cars shift point is 6400 and the fuel cutoff is at 6600.

I've done many a burnout with the engine just a'bouncin' off that limiter and it has never hurt a thing. It won't in almost any modern car as rev limiters are set to conservative settings from the factory.

So do we think he was using Synthetic?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I can't remember the last time my Ion saw above 3000.

Time for some heavy footed driving to clean that engine/exhaust up!
When I was commuting there was almost never a day where my car wouldn't see 6K RPM and sometimes that was half a dozen times or more per day. Now that I work in town and I don't drive as much seeing more than 3-4K is uncommon. Thankfully I stretch the car's legs usually on weekends.

My car in my sig is at 3200 rpm at 70 mph. It sounds smoother than at 50 mph. I wonder why the smoke from the engine in video isn't being sucked up by the PCV.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
I wonder why the smoke from the engine in video isn't being sucked up by the PCV.

lol.gif
'cause half the crankcase is missing.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I saw that too. Its at the point where the cams actually look as though they begin spinning the other way.
I saw the smoke and instantly thought that maybe an oil with a lower noack would vaporize less.
This bitog is a sickness

I've experienced valve float in in some modified cars I've had in the past; that's one of the factors that limit how high you can rev' an engine and heavier valve springs to solve the problem is counter-productive at lower rev's.
14,000 rpm may be about the rev' limit for metal valve springs.
F1 engine that rev' to 18,000 rpm use pneumatic (air) springs.

A lower NOACK rated oil isn't going to noticeably reduce the oil "vaporizing". I think what you're seeing is the oil being very finely atomized. The spec' oil is a 4T 10W-40 with a typical NOACK of 10%.
The other thing is, the camshafts rotate at half crankshaft speed. So what we're observing is "only" 7,000 rpm.

Now you understand why Ducati does desmodromic valvetrains... :)

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I can't remember the last time my Ion saw above 3000.

Time for some heavy footed driving to clean that engine/exhaust up!

I'll need to get a new timing chain first. The original is getting quite noisy. I wish it had a belt, much easier to change.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

This bitog is a sickness

I've experienced valve float in in some modified cars I've had in the past; that's one of the factors that limit how high you can rev' an engine and heavier valve springs to solve the problem is counter-productive at lower rev's.
14,000 rpm may be about the rev' limit for metal valve springs.
F1 engine that rev' to 18,000 rpm use pneumatic (air) springs.

A lower NOACK rated oil isn't going to noticeably reduce the oil "vaporizing". I think what you're seeing is the oil being very finely atomized. The spec' oil is a 4T 10W-40 with a typical NOACK of 10%.
The other thing is, the camshafts rotate at half crankshaft speed. So what we're observing is "only" 7,000 rpm.

I think the purpose of this video was to study valve float. It seems that they marked the valve springs with a red paint to watch it rotate with the cam at high speed. I wonder if there's an advantage to valve float as it rotates the valve top so it wears more evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back