Advice for neglected 2007 Sienna transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a 2007 Sienna XLE AWD with 141,000 miles that has the original transmission fluid (World Standard). The servicing dealer's stance is to not change fluid unless there is a problem with the transmission. Fluid is very dark at this point.

I'd like to keep this van on the road as long as possible (no indications of transmission slipping, clunking, etc. yet).

What would you recommend for servicing the transmission at this point? Should I do drain and fills in short intervals until the color improves or have a shop flush the transmission completely? Should I install a trans cooler (not planning to tow)? Any recommendation for fluid change intervals going forward?

I saw the other current thread about trans fluid for a Sienna that is towing. I'm not sure if I'll go with Amsoil or WS fluid, but there's good info in that thread already.

I'd change it. But I'm not sure I'd worry too much about it. I worry about everything, and am concerned on my Toyota: but it's a Toyota. Not particuarly known for bad transmissions, even in the minivans. And that's with the "don't change the fluid" recommendations. If not towing I'd skip the cooler too. Odds are, it won't do much: best I can tell, Toyota wants the fluid to be good and hot, for some reason. Cooler might not be doing much, unless if you defeat the thermostat.

I've read of people using Valvoline MaxLife(?) to good effect. Me, I'm apt to just go WS, even though it costs more, and then probably change a qt or three every 10k or 20k or however often I feel like. [I want to have the dealer flush it w/in warrenty, then I'll do pan drops or whatever afterwards.]

6 years and 141K is hardly neglect for ATF. Just do a filter and 2 changes a week apart. I would not machine flush ANY transmission regardless of mileage.

Originally Posted By: twolittlebroncos
The servicing dealer's stance is to not change fluid unless there is a problem with the transmission.

What is the name of this dealer? They are extrmely uninformed.

Do a full service; a complete swap of fluid and filter (if there is one).

I'm of the opinion that WS is overpriced for some very average light ATF. If you're keeping it for a long time, get some Amsoil ATL for sure. You may also find interesting my experience with Maxlife ATF as a WS replacement here.

Picked up a 2007 Sienna XLE AWD with 141,000 miles that has the original transmission fluid (World Standard). The servicing dealer's stance is to not change fluid unless there is a problem with the transmission. Fluid is very dark at this point.

I'd like to keep this van on the road as long as possible (no indications of transmission slipping, clunking, etc. yet).

What would you recommend for servicing the transmission at this point? Should I do drain and fills in short intervals until the color improves or have a shop flush the transmission completely? Should I install a trans cooler (not planning to tow)? Any recommendation for fluid change intervals going forward?

I saw the other current thread about trans fluid for a Sienna that is towing. I'm not sure if I'll go with Amsoil or WS fluid, but there's good info in that thread already.

I would drop the pan to change the filter and wipe off any cr$p off the pan and magnet.

Then refill. Maybe install a Magnefine inline to catch any/all cr$p loosened. I would shoot for 3-4 total drain & fills.

Last edited:
I agree with just about everyone else. My only addition would be to space out the drain and fills 500 miles between them. To get some slow and gentle cleaning. Post back on here what you end up doing. Thanks!

First, the dealer knows it is past the maintenance interval and doesn't want to be blamed for any issues when it gets changed. So do nothing really means "go away".

Second, you are in uncharted territory so there is a risk no matter what you do. You should however stick with WS fluid since it is the spec.

I have done service on 7 different Toyota transmissions and here is what I would do: If this has a trans dipstick and is NOT a sealed trans. 3 drain fills of WS fluid about 4 weeks apart to introduce new fluid (with new additive detergent) slowly. Then after 15,000 miles a complete fluid exchange.

If a sealed trans...then you can do fluid drain fills but you need to learn how to set the fluid level correctly. Otherwise you need to do a complete fluid exchange and cross your fingers. Go to a different Toyota dealer.

There is no filter just a 20 micron screen and 2 magnets. So you don't need to do a pan drop. You do need to get a new crush washer for the drain bolt.

Do not put any inline filters on there as you do not want to impede pump pressure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asand1
6 years and 141K is hardly neglect for ATF. Just do a filter and 2 changes a week apart. I would not machine flush ANY transmission regardless of mileage.

The factory OCI is 100k max.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I would drop the pan to change the filter and wipe off any cr$p off the pan and magnet.

Then refill. Maybe install a Magnefine inline to catch any/all cr$p loosened. I would shoot for 3-4 total drain & fills.

+1. Visit Siennchat.com for more discussions.

Regards, JC.

Thanks for the suggestions. There is a dipstick (not sealed). I'm planning to do a few shorter interval drain-fills until the color clears up. I'm not planning to drop the pan at this time.

I'll do some further reading on the threads discussing WS vs the other fluids. Right now I'm leaning toward Maxlife with several short interval drain-fills.

Originally Posted By: Doog

If a sealed trans...then you can do fluid drain fills but you need to learn how to set the fluid level correctly.

IIRC, getting it up to temp is involved, but would it be that critical if all you were doing was removing then replacing a quart or so?

Originally Posted By: Doog
twolittlebroncos said:
There is no filter just a 20 micron screen and 2 magnets. So you don't need to do a pan drop. You do need to get a new crush washer for the drain bolt.

AFAIK, Toyota's been using SPX FIltran filters much like the ones they supply to Ford/GM/Chrysler and ZF as of late.

I do 4 quarts at a time on my transmissions. I pump a milk jug full from the dipstick at cold transmission temp and replace with 4 quarts. I haven't had much variance in fluid level this way. I think doing one quart at a time is too slow. You want that spent fluid out of there.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I do 4 quarts at a time on my transmissions. I pump a milk jug full from the dipstick at cold transmission temp and replace with 4 quarts. I haven't had much variance in fluid level this way. I think doing one quart at a time is too slow. You want that spent fluid out of there.

Do you use a mityvac to pump out the old atf? I need to find a good pump at a decent price.

I would get some Supertec or MAxlife Dex/Merc and do drain and refills and then at some point, such as the second DR, drop pan and change the filter to let it slow clean.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Do you use a mityvac to pump out the old atf? I need to find a good pump at a decent price.

I wish. I have those cheap harbor freight hand pumps that are poorly made. It gets the job done but it's fragile.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Check out this DIY full flush procedure that a guy wrote up over at Tacoma World forum.

I used it to do a full flush on my Tacoma's tranny at 100K.

It's NOT a pressure flush, so, no danger of stirring up crud/sludge. It's just a fluid exchange.

It was very easy - I replaced all 15 quarts of fluid.

The procedure could probably be adapted to almost any vehicle.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/68462-diy-full-flush-automatic-transmission.html

This is the method I used on my '08 Taco as well. I was very pleased with the results using Maxlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back