Mobil Super Synthetic vs Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sawaddi
Originally Posted By: Roy Gutfinski
I will stick to M1 0W-40 in all my vehicles and tractor. I just wish they sold it in gallon or 5 quart bottles like all the other M1 formulations.
\

AMEN

Your local WalMart doesn't sell M1 0W-40 in 5 qt jugs? We've had them for a few months now.

Originally Posted By: Roy Gutfinski
I will stick to M1 0W-40 in all my vehicles and tractor. I just wish they sold it in gallon or 5 quart bottles like all the other M1 formulations.

They do...at Walmart...and it's only $22.47 for the 5 qt. jug right now.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
In other words, very little to most of us...

This is likely very true. In regular day to day driving the difference would be negligible,unless a person is pushing for a longer drain interval.
I think I saw that the super syn had a lower tbn then the M1 line,which may indicate a shorter drain interval may be required.

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Originally Posted By: buster
Does anyone read anymore?

Quote:
8. What’s the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil Super Synthetic?
Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetics. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic.

Don't expect your $20 UOA to exemplify these differences either.

Reads to me like the typical drivel concocted by marketing and vetted by legal. Nothing of substance, but lots of pretty adjectives and the like. 'Part of our ultimate line... outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic.' I suppose they eventually manage to say something, but what load of hyped up verbiage to build up to the four words that tell the consumer anything at all (albeit, not a whole lot, since even that is vague and with nothing there to quantify the 'outperforms' with, even that doesn't tell the consumer much).

My much shorter translation: as part of our over-bloated line of super duper uber synthetics, we bring you our latest and greatest XOM lube, better than our existing Super strength uber lube.'

Thanks for clearing that up.

-Spyder

Bahahahaha.
Yep

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Here is Mobil's answer to this question:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What’s the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil Super Synthetic?

Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetics. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic. It meets both GM’s stringent dexos1* and Europe’s ACEA performance standards. More car builders recommend Mobil 1 by name than any other motor oil brand in the world. More NASCAR drivers use Mobil 1 than any other motor oil brands. Mobil 1 has provided exceptional performance throughout its nearly 40-year history and stands alone as The World’s Leading Synthetic Motor Oil Brand.

Mobil Super Synthetic is a full synthetic that uses synthetic-base oils. It outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend products. It meets or exceeds the latest industry requirements, GF-5 /API SN. The product offers performance consistent with many synthetics in the market.

All that babble and they still didn't answer the question,haha.

1) Few outside of BITOG would understand the technical differance.

2) Not many more here at BITOG would either.

3) There ain't no way XM, Shell, Castrol, or Valvo, and the others would reveal the differances in their formulations.

For the record, however, MSS is a grp 3 oil and any M1 badged oil is a blend of 3-4-5 and other goodies.

We don't know what proportions of what basestocks are used in M1, MSS, PP, PU, Syntec, Synpower, Edge, RP or SSO, since the blenders won't tell us.
What we do know is what we can observe in VOAs/UOAs, as well as in certs.
There is nothing outstanding about any flavor of M1 based upon either observed performance, add packs or certs.
I also beg to differ with you in that most members who have been here for more than a few years would understand the technical differences.
I agree with you in that no blender is going to provide any information as to the basestocks used in a finished oil.
So, for the record, we can't conclude that MSS is Grp III while M1 is a blend containing lots of Grp IV and Grp V along with other unspecified goodies, unless XOM is willing to disclose their actual formulation, which they won't.
I'm glad you've had good experience with M1, but we have a mod here who did equally well with ST conventional on the same drain intervals you use.

This synthetic hierarchy is absurd if you take a step back and think about it.

Why is one better than another?
What makes it better?
Do I need the better one?
I thought if I switched to synthetic I was already getting the best?
Now you're telling me it's only almost the best?
Does that make your conventional oils the worst?

What's the fastest animal on earth?

The Euro spec'd oils don't suffer from this labeling insanity. If they meet the specification then they meet the specification. Hence the irony of 0W-40 being Mobil's best oil and NOT being part of the EP line.

- We have a new product (Mobil Super Synthetic) that is almost the best of its kind.

- We also have an improved product (Mobil 1 EP) (currently the best of its kind) that's even better than our original product (Mobil 1) (previously known as the best of its kind).

What we did was take our flagship product and simply pump it into an EP labeled bottle. Upped the price and threw it back on the shelf. The boys in the lab still joke about not knowing our proprietary formula. No doubt because it was developed by the chemists in the marketing department.

Actually Mobil tech has told me MSS is grp 3 and M1 oils are 3-4-5 and other things I know nothing about. As for UOAs, Blackstone told me they can't even tell synthetic oil from dino, so UOAs are not a real indicator of how to chose an oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It was rumored that M1`s 0W and 15W50 are pao/ester oils. Not sure how accurate that is though.

It ain't a rumor. All M1 badged oils contain ester. Here's the link.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Does_Mobil_1_Contain_Ester_Oil.aspx

Right on!
cheers3.gif

I thought that M1 was now formulated with their visom basestock.
And lets be serious. Mobil can say that their oil contains esters as long as they put a drop of ester in it. So that in itself means nothing to me.
I will admit I do like the 0w-40,once my 4V finally gets tuned ill be trying out the Caterham blend in it.

Originally Posted By: FMC
I,m confused about the different formulations.

Mobil 1 EP
Mobil 1
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy
Mobil Super Snythetic

^ This ^

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

What makes it better?

What we did was take our flagship product and simply pump it into an EP labeled bottle. Upped the price and threw it back on the shelf. The boys in the lab still joke about not knowing our proprietary formula. No doubt because it was developed by the chemists in the marketing department.

No kidding!

I think that the oil companies are better served by making thing MORE confusing for the consumer rather than less. An ignorant consumer is more easily swayed by marketing hype and pretty bottles than scientific research. M1 offers a bunch of products which may all perform similarly, but without any data to back you up you're probably more likely to opt for the more expensive bottle "just to be sure".

If they released actual data that was easy to find and understand and that showed there was very little difference between the grades of M1, they'd crater their profit margin!

Originally Posted By: Zhukov

What makes it better?

No kidding!

I think that the oil companies are better served by making thing MORE confusing for the consumer rather than less. An ignorant consumer is more easily swayed by marketing hype and pretty bottles than scientific research. M1 offers a bunch of products which may all perform similarly, but without any data to back you up you're probably more likely to opt for the more expensive bottle "just to be sure".

If they released actual data that was easy to find and understand and that showed there was very little difference between the grades of M1, they'd crater their profit margin!

Well that's your opinion and you have that right to it. XM has created a synthetic oil for every purpose and customer. You see, their in the business of selling oil, and they do it better than anyone when it comes to synthetic lubes. Also their synthetic oils are some of the best in the world. Shell, Valvo, Castrol, and all the others are welcome to follow XMs lead, so why don't they?? Also why would they release all their data to a ignorant public that could care less about an oil except how it works. I use their products for pretty much the same reason, because all this technical goobly goop is boring to me. I just go by results.

I use their products for pretty much the same reason, because all this technical goobly goop is boring to me. I just go by results.

So I guess you would fall into the category of "true believer". I'm not much of believer in giant multinational advertising propaganda. That "technical goobly goop" is what I like to see. XM should provide more of it.

I'm not impressed with the Super Syn' 5-30 vs M1 5W-30 but the Super Syn' 0W-20 and 5W-20 may be more suitable than M1 for applications specifying those grades; they are a bit lighter than M1.
The thing is it would come down to price and I've never seen those 20wt oils stocked anywhere.

Also why would they release all their data to a ignorant public that could care less about an oil except how it works.

Releasing their data to an ignorant public is exactly how Mobil 1 got to where it is in the first place.

Well that's your opinion and you have that right to it. XM has created a synthetic oil for every purpose and customer. You see, their in the business of selling oil, and they do it better than anyone when it comes to synthetic lubes. Also their synthetic oils are some of the best in the world. Shell, Valvo, Castrol, and all the others are welcome to follow XMs lead, so why don't they?? Also why would they release all their data to a ignorant public that could care less about an oil except how it works. I use their products for pretty much the same reason, because all this technical goobly goop is boring to me. I just go by results.

I never said there weren't differences in the various grades of their oil, nor that they were hiding their numbers. I merely stated that from a marketing perspective, it helps for them to segregate the market and that a confused consumer probably helps their profit margin.

I also never impugned the quality of XOM's oils; I have no idea where you got that idea.

Also why would they release all their data to a ignorant public that could care less about an oil except how it works.

Releasing their data to an ignorant public is exactly how Mobil 1 got to where it is in the first place.

Yes the general public is very ignorant(they have better things to do than study oil) about engine oils. M1 has an offering for most every vehicle, so XM makes it easy for buyers to select what products they need. Smart marketing 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back