2005 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L 1ZZ-FE oil change 80K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody. I need some good honest suggestions for what type of oil to use in my wife's car which is listed in the subject line. I am using this vehicle on an out of state business trip for a while, and her vehicle went overdue for an oil change (it's at 6,800 miles and the book calls for 5,000 mile intervals).

To give you some background, my wife had the vehicle before we started dating, and always took it to the service center/dealership. After we got married, I started doing the scheduled PM. I switched the car over to RP 5W30 because I knew it was a good synthetic oil to use, and knew we were going to be asking a lot more from it than usual. I have been running RP with either a Mobil 1, Bosch, or a K&N filter regularly. I always change the filter with each oil change.

I did not accomplish the previous oil change because I was out of town on an extended business trip. So, I asked her to give the local Firestone shop a try. They put in Kendall full synthetic with Titanium 5W30, and used an ACDelco filter. I think I'm liking this Kendall oil. I got 30 - 34 mpg on the front end of this trip with this oil which impressed me.

My problem is, what oil do I go to for the next oil change? Kendall is rather hard to find, and I don't want to go much farther without changing the oil. I've been looking at RP 5W30 (good oil, but might not give as good fuel economy), Mobil 1 5W30, Mobil 1 0W30 Advanced Fuel Economy, hunt for Kendall, etc.

Which oil/weight should I go with and stick with? I've been told that you don't really want to switch brands too often because of different additives and stuff.

This vehicle has been very dependable and economical for us. Plus, it has a surprising amount of pep, moon roof, and a nice factory speaker system. We want to keep it going as long as imagineable. It has been used for some 16+ hour long road trips, for pulling a pop-up trailer (short distances) on rare occasion, for hauling things (lawn/patio bricks, edging bricks, hay, soil, lawn mower, gas-powered tiller, etc.), as a daily commuter, and for transporting dogs for an animal rescue when we were in New Mexico. I figure putting the good stuff in it and keeping up on the maintenance will help it last longer. I tend to be leadfooted whereas my wife is mostly gentle (with a few times she's had to floor it to avoid nutjob drivers).

Mods include: removed air intake silencer/baffles, modified air intake box, added K&N air filter (couldn't justify $250+ for the full intake system), installed Class I/II 1,500 lb hitch & wiring, removed underbody plastic (under the engine) for ease of maintenance & cleaning, Optima Yellow Top battery

Notes: This engine type has been said to consume a small amount of oil when operated above 3,000RPM. I've also noticed that it somehow loses a tiny amount of engine coolant (once a year top off maybe). It uses DexCool, so I don't know if it's a tiny leak, evaporating/condensing, or what. (this is the first vehicle I've handled regularly that takes DexCool) All vehicles I've used up until now took regular EGW. (Ethlyne Glycol & Water)

Thanks in advance.

Congrats on you first post!

For that car, I'd really not have a problem with M1 5w30, and have used it for VERY long intervals on my previous car. I also dont' see why you OCI's are so short with such a robust oil? Those oils can easily go 10k between OCI's

Those little motors are very robust/ And that engine is still fairly new. Is it auto or manual? I'm in the process of researching our next car which is going to be an early Vibe and have found that the auto trans. is a very reliable unit, despite only being a 4 speed.

Your OCI's would be fine even if you used conventional oil, with synthetic you could go much further.
You might also consider a 0w oil.

FWIW We have a 1.8 Matrix and run 5w-20 Dino for 5k OCI's
Reason: it's my wife's car and I like to get in it and under it on a regular basis.

I do the maintenence for my buddy's 03 vibe w/ the same engine, and some where a while back, i did a UOA on it, using god ol' pyb, for nearly 7k,(he was delivering pizzas in columbus, OH with it @ the time, 70-100 city mi daily, that looked pretty darn good. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...486#Post2587486

stick with 5w30, and the old myth about switching brands being bad, is just that. i don't think his car has seen the same one twice since i've been working on it.

that car shouldn't be using dex-cool...there's very little that is actually GM about it. it's 90+% Toyota(A Toyota Matrix in fact, which is the corolla wagon, with a few GM parts thrown in the mix to mess things up a bit). uses either the standard green, or toyota's long life coolant (pink i think...)

another great source of info for these cars, is genvibe.com, it's a forum just for Vibes/Matrices(plural of Matrix)

Last edited:
Thanks Stan.

I guess I'm a bit superstitious with fluids since I'm still learning with some of the different oils out there. I usually err on the side of safety with oil changes because, as a mechanic, I've seen what happens when you let fluids go way too long. Also, to me, it seems like the engine sounds more clickety and vibrates more at idle. Plus, I tend to be assertive and a bit leadfooted with my driving style so I put in better quality fluids that can take some beatings. (I'm not quite aggressive, but I don't take [censored] from aggressive/d-bag/crazy/indecisive/distracted drivers)

I know I'm due up for a lifter inspection. I just don't have the special tools out here with me.

It's an automatic. I'm neutral with auto or stick. I can drive either, and miss driving stick, but don't mind either way. The only bad things I've noticed with this transmission is I'll hear a strange tone when I shift into neutral/park or into reverse. It's kinda hard to describe, but it happens every once in a while and usually happens at idle/low RPMs. The other day, I actually managed to stall it when I realized I was going to a dead end curb, by coming to a quick stop, shifting into reverse, and then punching it a bit hard. Whoops... It started right back up when I put it into neutral though.

I love the 1st gen Pontiac Vibe, and wish they never got rid of Pontiac. I don't like the looks of the 2nd gen bodies. I also like how I can open my hatch or just the rear window up plus the rear wiper and rear defrost. At first, it took a lot of getting used to driving the Vibe when my wife and I were dating. But, now, I don't know what I'd do without it. I grew up with a hatchback on the east coast, and will swear by them as very effective, economical cars. It may not pull a house like an SUV or pickup, but it's impressive what you can do with one and for the cost.

I had a 2 1zz-fe vvt-i Corollas. Tough little engines that can run on any weight oil, they don't care. Deposits are a different story, prone to oil consumption and vvt-i issues if you don't stay on top of oil changes. I can't always do that so agree, use of a full syn on this engine is the way to go. Engine will run for the next 20 years with no problems. Walmart may have the Kendall syn, if not any of the M1 or PP grades would be my choice. Think you were hinting at valve noise. Its all aluminum with vvt-i, not much insulation. These engines can be a little "rattly" on M1. If thats the case, PP 5w30 is what you want. I found that very quiet. $22.50 @ walmart. 7-8k OCI is about right.

Evaporation from the expansion tank is normal, its not a sealed system. Agree with others, would switch away from GM Dex to the Toyota coolant which is non-2-eha (dex) non silicate. Costs more up front, but cheaper in the long run. Easy drain and fill as you know. Use Toyota LLC concentrate (Red) Or Zerex Asian Vehicle pre-mix sold at Napa. Both are approx $15 a gal.

You're right to not do short ram or CAI on the 1zz. The celica guys with 1zz see almost no gain with any intake system on n/a 1zz. Also, you can run 0w-20 too.

Pennzoil yellow bottle would probably be fine, or the easily available synthetics like Penz Platinum or M1.

Don't forget the transmission. It should have a drain plug for easy changes. I think 2005 takes T-IV.

I have the same engine as yours. I've always used full synthetic. I've used Mobil 1, valvoline syn power, and Kendall full syn. Always used 5w30......until it had 100,000 miles then I switched to Amsoil signature series 0w30. Very quiet with this oil, gained about 1/2-1 mpg, and I change it once a year.

I believe Motorcraft Full Synthetic is very close to the Kendall Full Synthetic formula as they're both made by ConocoPhillips. Some say it's exactly the same oil. Check this thread for more info:
Motorcraft - Kendall Synthetic

Also, what color is your original coolant? I've heard some Vibe owners claiming their Owner's Manual says to use DexCool BUT the car actually came with Toyota Red or Pink in it.

Some newer Toyotas allow for 10,000 mile changes with synthetic but drop that recommendation to 5000 miles if conventional oil is used. I mention this as a range guide for you. Just interesting that Toyota believes synthetic is good for twice the miles.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

Also, what color is your original coolant? I've heard some Vibe owners claiming their Owner's Manual says to use DexCool BUT the car actually came with Toyota Red or Pink in it.

Here's someone with a 2005 Vibe that came with Toyota Pink Super Long Life Coolant from the factory. Scroll half way down the page to see: 2005 Vibe Coolant

Quote from above,"My 2005 Vibe manual claims I have DexCool. I siphoned a little out of the tank (you can't really see whats in the tank through the translucent white material) and it turns out to be Toyota Ultra Long Life Coolant (pink)."

all this talk about Vibes's is gettin me excited for my next car purchase
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller
all this talk about Vibes's is gettin me excited for my next car purchase
laugh.gif

I guess that is OK as long as you understand the Vibe was discontinued I think in 2010...

OP, I would recommend you dump the K&N air filter ASAP and install the recommended paper element. I see too many of the young men think they are doing something good for their engines with these K+N air filters but this is not money well spent.

Many of these engines develop intake manifold gasket leaks around this time so I'd start watching for that. I think if you can read the fuel trim levels you can tell if it is leaking well before it ever shows up as an intermittent check engine light or engine code. Toyota cut cost and quality by using a plastic intake manifold and this seal has been a bad spot so they beefed up the gasket (now orange). If you are a mechanic I would just change it out now and be done with it.

I too would switch to another coolant besides Dexcool.

I have a 03 Vibe that I purchased new. I have almost 143K on it and it has been very reliable. No major issues just general maintenance wear items. I have used mostly Mobil 1 5w30 and 0w30 in it at around 5k intervals. The only issue I have noticed in the last year is that the idle has gotten slightly rougher, possibly the intake manifold gasket issue mentioned above.

In my 2006 Matrix I use whatever mayor brand 5w-30 dino is on sale: Penzoil, Castrol, Havoline, etc.
Excluding road trips I drive about 4000 miles a year.
I've changed the oil twice a year and (Toyota) filter once a year.
This year I'm switching to once a year OCI and PureOne filter.
This summer I'm going on a 4500 mile road trip, so I'll do an extra OCI after that.
I tried M1 0w-30 one winter, made no noticeable difference in MPG.
I flush the brake fluid every 3 years, drain & refill the PS fluid once a year.
Changed the coolant at 5 years, drain and refill Toyota pink.
I fashioned a cold air intake using the stock air filter.
Verified cooler air intake with a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back