Grand Marquis steering making noise when turning

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Grand Marquis makes a clunking type noise when I turn the wheel pretty hard like during a uturn. It sounds like the tire hitting part of the car and seems to do it more when turning hard and going over a speed bump or similar obstacle. It still drives good but has me concerned that something may be wrong.

Get it checked sooner rather than later. You really don't wanna have a ball joint break whilst driving

Last edited:
There is a steering stop on the front end of these vehicles that needs to be greased every so often. Look under the front of the car and you should see where the hub assembly will contact the control arm at full lock. Put a big glob of heavy grease there or just move around the glob of greasy dirt that is already there and has just been moved out of the way.

I am getting some minor squeaking when turning the wheel at slow parking lot type speeds or setting still. I checked under the car and found one torn rubber boot that will need replaced. How do you check the front wheel hub assembly? Is that the wheel bearing? The front ones seem fine but the rears need some attention as they are whining a bit at higher speeds like 70 and up.

As above, lube steering stops for clunks/squeeks/grinds when steering is against lock.

Squeeks when turning: Tie rod ends first, then lower ball joints. Been through it on my '94 last year.

How old are the sway bar end links? Or, is everything original? If so maybe time to replace. Just did our 98 Sable a month ago. Control arms with ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar end links, struts, rotors and pads. Then had it aligned. Bought in 2006 and now drives like a new car-very nice. If only the cra$$y gas wasn't so cra$$y so the mpg could get back to 23 mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back