Buying tires from sears... ha ha they're crooked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I love how nearly ANY retail-related thread turns into a "Walmart" thread.

This place is so predictable!

From as early as the fourth post down:

Originally Posted By: Kruse
In my area, Wal-Mart could have a monopoly and I wouldn't shed a tear.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Walmarts online tire pricing is more HONEST than Sears.

hmmmmm, what else is new?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
OK, lots of BURNING HATRED for Sears out there. Maybe one day ALL Sears and everything else will close down, tens of thousands of people laid off, and you will only have WalMarts to choose from. Wouldn't you all just love THAT monopoly?

Apparnetly many would, LOL. Hope they enjoy paying more peoples' benefits and unemployment.

it still is laughable that folks swoon over customer service from WM in this thread. Our personal experiences at any sears for anything have been so much higher than any time ive set foot in a WM, its just insane.

Yet Im not seeing a compelling difference in price strategy, fees or charges from WM (or anyone else for that matter) to justify the initial complaint for 99.99999% of the population.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I would hate to see an American icon such as Sears close its doors. I think bad management is so common these days. Then the the problems are blamed on the rank and file. Sears had it's hay day. It needs to try to fit in with today's market.

Another great American company that had it's own automotive centers was Montgomery Ward. I see their great old building everyday in Portland. It was built in 1921. The new owners that bought it 20 years ago just changed two letters in Ward to make Park.

Picture2.jpg

Great pic...I used to enjoy wandering through the many levels of that old store in the '70s.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I would hate to see an American icon such as Sears close its doors. I think bad management is so common these days. Then the the problems are blamed on the rank and file. Sears had it's hay day. It needs to try to fit in with today's market.

Another great American company that had it's own automotive centers was Montgomery Ward. I see their great old building everyday in Portland. It was built in 1921. The new owners that bought it 20 years ago just changed two letters in Ward to make Park.

Picture2.jpg

Great pic...I used to enjoy wandering through the many levels of that old store in the '70s.

Cant say I ever shopped at one, but the pic is great. Montgomery Ward spun off a store called Jefferson Ward, and a few shopping centers around here have their trademark entryway.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I love how nearly ANY retail-related thread turns into a "Walmart" thread.

This place is so predictable!

From as early as the fourth post down:

In my area, Wal-Mart could have a monopoly and I wouldn't shed a tear.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Walmarts online tire pricing is more HONEST than Sears.

hmmmmm, what else is new?

Of course it turns into a comparison against WalMart.
There are always comparisons against the companies that have the best track record because they know how to run a business. Seriously, who does a comparison against failed companies like Montgomery Wards or Edsel cars?
If you had an argument with somebody and you said that American Motors had the best track record, would anybody take you serious?

Sliding off topic, when I went to the mall showroom floor with cash in hand to buy a TV they couldn't sell one to me. Reason: The warehouse, two blocks away, closed earlier than store hours.

So what's the point of having expensive mall real estate with a satellite warehouse? Unbelievable.

A couple of thoughts:

There is a problem trying to compare the cost of a tire. On-line stores don't include mounting costs, costs of new valves, disposal fees, etc. - And the shipping costs are included at the end.

A brick and mortar store might (or might not) include mounting costs, new valves, sales tax, etc. in the cost of the tire.

I can easily see people getting confused about the true cost of a purchase.

I can also see where people would object to the cost rising as the fees, labor charges, etc are added into the total. Seems to me that that is the OP's objection. But I can also see people objecting if that doesn't happen - until it is time to settle the bill. A "[censored] if you do, [censored] if you don't" sort of thing.

IMO Sears have the worst possible combination of wait time, selection, and price for tire outlet. I've used them once and I would never go back. Even Walmart is better than them.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

I can also see where people would object to the cost rising as the fees, labor charges, etc are added into the total. Seems to me that that is the OP's objection. But I can also see people objecting if that doesn't happen - until it is time to settle the bill. A "[censored] if you do, [censored] if you don't" sort of thing.

The funny thing is, Sears is very upfront about additional costs. See my previous (ignored by all involved) post with results from the Sears web page.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

The funny thing is, Sears is very upfront about additional costs. See my previous (ignored by all involved) post with results from the Sears web page.

Of course it was ignored, this is a thread about ranting, not actual consideration of what the website said or how many other tire retailers market tires the same way.
smile.gif

I agree with you. Sears advertises their tires the same way many places do, but it somehow confused and/or angered the OP. Perhaps if he had checked more sites he would see that it's common for tire shops to advertise only a tire price without services to try to catch your eye with the tire price.

Just another example,

Check out the Firestone Auto Care website. They're basically the biggest chain in my area. On the website they advertise the tire-price only and say this:
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/
Quote:

Price: $106.99 ea.

taxes & fees not included

Goodyear auto service is the same way:
http://www.goodyearautoservice.com/home.jsp

searsfree_zps0cfa43a1.png

Here's my beef and I'll try to stop
18.gif

"Pickup free" means something different to sears than any other business that follows local custom.

If I called Applebees for Takeout or Pickup via their "carside to go" program, I wouldn't expect to pay an 18% gratuity on top of my order, for sit-down service I didn't desire... and that they implied I didn't need.

I don't really shop for tires much, most I order through an account with the manufacturer, but I use the above method for many other things.

Now as far as Sears goes, they have dug their own grave. In a way their stuff does keep getting poorer, but at the same time it simply hasn't kept up. 20 years ago, a Craftsman Flat Panel wrench was probably pretty nice for its price considering your other options were truck brands and industrial brands. Now you can walk into any store and buy a wrench with as good as or better quality than the Craftsman wrench for less money or at least better value. The ratchets are even worse.

They used to be the perfect store for beginning mechanics and homeowners alike. Harbor Freight has taken over the cheap end of the deal and Sears chose to go cheap on quality but keep the premium price while quietly shipping things overseas. I am not a COO Nazi, I buy almost all of my "non-chrome"(sockets,ratchets,wrenchs) tools from German companies. Why? Because they are higher quality, work better, last longer and cost the same or less than American offerings.

American companies need to go back to innovation and quit playing the money game. There are not many innovations coming from America anymore.

Sears can fail, it wouldn't bother me. Would people be out of jobs? Yes its unfortunate they would be, but businesses fail. Certainly not going to give the business a handout. If Sears is making enough money to employ those people, obviously there is local demand that will create a need for employees at other stores. Sears does not seem to do much online which is part of their failure.

As much as I don't care for them really, I will say I have been surprised by most of the people I have dealt with there. I bought an appliance from them, the first guy wanted to sell me all Kenmore stuff, but the other guy just let me buy whatever and was helpful. I have been very surprised that most of the people have been able to warranty tools without any issues. They know how to do it and where to find the new tool without too many questions and most seem to care surprisingly. I'm talking teens and people in their 20s that I deal with their. Lately it seems this age group could care less, especially at a job like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cchase
I just went on Sears site to see what all the fuss is about.

I went to "Car Tires".

I selected a random tire that appeared, a "Goodyear Eagle GT - 195/65R15 91V SL BSW - All Season Tire"

I entered my Zip Code.

I clicked "Calculate Sub-Total". Keep in mind, I'm still just on the page showing all tires.

A pop up window informed me:

Quote:

Tire

Installed at store

Tire Cost $86.96
Environmental Fee*
The environmental fee is a state-mandated charge on the sale of certain products. In many states the fee provides funds for hazardous waste cleanup and pollution prevention programs administered by the state.

Installation

Mounting INCLUDED

Tire Disposal $2.50

Rubber Valve Stems $2.99

90 Day Tire Balancing $11.99

Price Per Tire

$104.44

Total for 4 Tires

$417.76

What's the problem, exactly?

I go to Costco and they list a base price, and in fine print below the price:

Quote:
Plus $14 installation package and $1 disposal fee per tire. Shipping and handling included.

Is this dramatically different?

I fail to see anything "sneaky" here.

I just went through all this with Sears as I just bought a set of tires recently. The trouble with their website is that you will not get that price. I tried. I ordered and paid for the 90 day balance just as you showed. When I went to get the tires installed, I was told that there would be additional charges as "The website isn't right. We have to do lifetime balance." They also wanted to charge for valve stems even though the wheels had TPMS and they wouldn't have touched the valve stems. I told them no deal but of course they couldn't reverse the online charges. After dealing with online customer service for a while I ended up having to dispute the charge with the CC company. I called three other area Sears stores and was told the website wasn't right by all of them. I also checked into the pick up at store option and was told again that the website wasn't right and that all tires had to be installed. They couldn't release an online sale for pickup.

I believe that's what the OP was upset about. Not how the website sales were set up but that the website pricing is not correct.

Last edited:
Of course it turns into a comparison against WalMart.
There are always comparisons against the companies that have the best track record because they know how to run a business. Seriously, who does a comparison against failed companies like Montgomery Wards or Edsel cars?
If you had an argument with somebody and you said that American Motors had the best track record, would anybody take you serious?

Best track record??!? Wal mart???!!? if you had said Costco or something I might agree, but wal-mart? Never had worse customer experiences. People put up with that garbage place because they THINK they are saving a few bucks. That's it.

Some of the stores are OK, most of them arent. I like to go and look at the oil stock, because they tend to have more than anyone else. If it werent for that, Id never be in that store, as I can generally buy cheaper elsewhere, and certainly with far less hassle.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If I called Applebees for Takeout or Pickup via their "carside to go" program, I wouldn't expect to pay an 18% gratuity on top of my order, for sit-down service I didn't desire... and that they implied I didn't need.

Actually, Waffle House adds 10% onto carry out.

BHut back to the OP, it looks to me that Sears is cutting you a break on the tire price if you pay for installation. Kind of as if their installation cost subsidizes the tire price.

A similar approach is some mechanics who will charge a different hourly rate for customer-supplied parts versus if they supply them.

Yes, Sears has become greatly disappointing.

I went into the nearest Sears store for one of their power tools. I had to wait while the one cashier (in the hardware & tool section) rang up a woman with a cart full of clothing and other items. Most of these items were priced wrong in the computer. Everyone that she said was cheaper was actually her price when it finally got checked.

I tried to buy a refrigerator from Sears. The one I wanted was on the floor and tagged with its price. They couldn't sell it to me because it wasn't in their computer system.

I was recently speaking with a woman who clerks at Sears. She asks for all the hours they'll assign to her. They only schedule her for 20 hours a week at $9 an hour.

This reminds me of Pep Boys advertising 4 new tires for 99 dollars back in the mid 90's. I went in and took them up on their 99 dollar offer. They presented me a bill that was almost double that. I asked how it could be...."balancing, road hazard warranty, valve stems" the service writer barked back to me.

"I don't want any of that" I told them. The service writers ruddy face turned grey with that statement. They couldn't believe I pushed back. I paid 105 after tax bux for 4 new tires and they were not happy.

I looked like Dolomite rollin' down the street with my new rubber.

Sears customer services sucks...I bought the tires from them and thy made me buy all kinds of lifetime guarantees, which I thought might be useful. Recently, I realized the stem valve was leaking air, which I could hear, so I immediately drove to Sears to get it fixed. When I reached there he said all his mechanics were busy and would not be able to fix the tire that day. I had to drive to a another nearby tires plus store and get it fixed, else would have had a flat tire soon. Never will I step into Sears again.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Sears automotive is a joke. I attempted to get tires from them a few months back. I called about some tires on there website and they said they will order them for me and to come on in and pay for them so they can order. I went on in and that guy already "went home" and said there was no way they could order those tires. I said for them to find my 205/65R16 for my vehicle and they did not have any in stock and said they were unable to order any because it was a "unique" size. Believe that, a tire store that doesn't have tires that many year Nissan Altimas and Toyota Camrys use???

They told me to leave my phone # and they would get back to me. Three days later they called saying they had some "excellent" (cheap) Hankook tires they could order in my size and to come back in.

I went to the local tire chain I always go to who is open late on Thursday nights, went to a bar across the street for a burger and beer and an hour and a half later had new rubber and an alignment done.

Never again will I go to Sears. My local Sears had incompetent staff who didn't seem to even want my business.

And I agree eljefino...there website has tons of options but they are there just for show.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Sears automotive is a joke. I attempted to get tires from them a few months back. I called about some tires on there website and they said they will order them for me and to come on in and pay for them so they can order. I went on in and that guy already "went home" and said there was no way they could order those tires. I said for them to find my 205/65R16 for my vehicle and they did not have any in stock and said they were unable to order any because it was a "unique" size. Believe that, a tire store that doesn't have tires that many year Nissan Altimas and Toyota Camrys use???

They told me to leave my phone # and they would get back to me. Three days later they called saying they had some "excellent" (cheap) Hankook tires they could order in my size and to come back in.

I went to the local tire chain I always go to who is open late on Thursday nights, went to a bar across the street for a burger and beer and an hour and a half later had new rubber and an alignment done.

Never again will I go to Sears. My local Sears had incompetent staff who didn't seem to even want my business.

And I agree eljefino...there website has tons of options but they are there just for show.

I went to sears to pickup an item. I walked thru the tire portion and was watching the tire guy tapping the desk as he was explaining the "sale pitch" of the road hazard warranty. He was making up stuff like it takes days for Michelin to get back to him on their warranty, I think tires had a really long one he was buying.

Sears is really run down these days.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Well when the criticisms sink to the level of RON WHITE, need I say more?

And, just wait til Wal Mart takes EVERYTHING over.

This.

Sears needs a better owner, it's sad to see a historic icon like this slowly fail because of incompetent ownership.

it isn't the concept itself, it still has value even today.

Sears was a really great place to shop even up to the late 70s or so. Even today they have a good satisfaction and return policy that is far better than WalMart.

As for the auto centers it all depends on the local management.

The sears website is a disgusting wannabe amazon. They sell everything now and pricing is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back