Fram Tough Guard Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Walmart and the only filter on the shelf left for my car was a Fram Tough Guard.
So not wanting to go to an auto parts store I bought it and put it on.
I run synthetic for 8k miles. Did i make a mistake?

Fram Tough Guard is good for up to 10k OCI. I actually used Fram Extra Guard, the infamous OCOD, for up to 14-15k OCI in my LS400 at least once.

The Tough Guard is actually a very good filter. I prefer them to the PureOnes that are so popular here as I get better (quieter) starts with them and still get the 99% efficiency. Unless your engine is horribly sludged, the Tough Guard will have no problem making 8k.

No you didn't make a mistake. My only gripe with the TG is I believe they should be 4-5 bucks, not 6-7.

The TG is by far a step ahead over the EG. Better media efficiency and holding capacity, as well as gaining the silicone ADBV. Around my area it's $6 at Wally's. I think it's a good filter for that price. And I'd say it would easily do 8k miles.

We are, however at a bit of a limit as we don't know about the use or vehicle. If 8k miles is his goal, he could probably even make that on the OCOD (if he doesn't succumb to metal filter-bias mini seziure first ....).

Last edited:
Now, now guys. We all know that Fram filters are all pre-dropped at the factory to cause bypass filter spring failure. [censored], they won't even cut one of their specifically engineered engine grenades open to inspect it! CON-spiracy, I tell ya!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
How does one know a certain oil filter is good for 10k miles?

Contaminant holding capacity.

Please continue. How do you know that, too. I think that an oil filter's actual performance is really difficult to figure out other than looking inside at the quality of construction.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The TG is by far a step ahead over the EG. Better media efficiency and holding capacity, as well as gaining the silicone ADBV. Around my area it's $6 at Wally's. I think it's a good filter for that price. And I'd say it would easily do 8k miles.

We are, however at a bit of a limit as we don't know about the use or vehicle. If 8k miles is his goal, he could probably even make that on the OCOD (if he doesn't succumb to metal filter-bias mini seziure first ....).

It's a 2006 Sentra with 118k on it.I drive a lot of miles and about 80% high speed freeways.
If I had to change it at 3k it would be every 5 weeks or so.

Originally Posted By: jfking106
Now, now guys. We all know that Fram filters are all pre-dropped at the factory to cause bypass filter spring failure. [censored], they won't even cut one of their specifically engineered engine grenades open to inspect it! CON-spiracy, I tell ya!

:rolleyes:

We all know because of perpetuated myth. Hopefully the new website will add facts.
http://www.fram.com/products/oil_filters/fram_tough_guard_oil_filter/index.asp

If it's clean inside, even an OCOD would do 8K easily. I posted elsewhere on here an XG off my xB that went 8K, barely had any crud in it at all. A sludge-mobile would be a different story!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back