2013 Toyota Tacoma Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with the 4 liter V6 engine. Apparently, it is one of the last Toyota engines NOT to come with synthetic oil from the factory. As a long time synthetic oil believer, can anyone tell me if there is a good reason NOT to use synthetic oil with this particular engine? The service manager thought the reason is Toyota only has 0w-20 synthetic oil, where the V6 engines require 5w-30 oil, thus they just use regular oil. I want to hear from experts on this matter, I have a jug of 5w-30 Mobil 1 ready to use. Thanks in advance.

I ran PP and QSUD 5w30 in my 4.0L V6 T4R and it was fine. The M1 5w30 will be no different. Run the factory fill 1000-1500 and then go with M1

Last edited:
I have a 2007 Tacoma with the V6 that I bought new in June 2007. I've run nothing but M1, M1 Truck & SUV, or M1 EP 5W-30 since I drained the factory fill at 3K.

110,000+ miles now, and it runs as new, with no oil usage and no problems.

If you're going to do your own oil changes, get yourself a length of fuel line to run from the drain nipple on the bottom of the oil filter mount down to your drain pan. (You can determine the correct inside diameter by removing the cap from the nipple.) This will prevent spillage of oil when you remove the filter.

Of course, I've also heard of people just using a Coke bottle to catch what drains out.

Mobil 1, Ultra, PP, QSUD, Kendall GT Full Syn or any synthetic of your choice will serve you well. Your are starting out with a great engine. It would be great to have a 0W30 oil by Toyota or Mobil that was as awesome as Mobil 0W40.
Enjoy your truck.

TGMO is available in 5w-30, 10w-30, and 10w-40 convention oils and 0w-20 synthetic...no 0w-30 conventional....nor 5w-30 TGMO synthetic...

Your manual's recommended weight range is 5w-30, so you can use the synthetic option available from other manufacturers such as PP 5w-30, or as you already know Mobil-1, without worry.

Last edited:
"""""I have a 2007 Tacoma with the V6 that I bought new in June 2007. I've run nothing but M1, M1 Truck & SUV, or M1 EP 5W-30 since I drained the factory fill at 3K.

110,000+ miles now, and it runs as new, with no oil usage and no problems"""""

Had you run a SOPUS product instead of the Mobil products, at 110 K miles, your engine would be running BETTER than new, rather than 'as new'

Originally Posted By: steve20
"""""I have a 2007 Tacoma with the V6 that I bought new in June 2007. I've run nothing but M1, M1 Truck & SUV, or M1 EP 5W-30 since I drained the factory fill at 3K.

110,000+ miles now, and it runs as new, with no oil usage and no problems"""""

Had you run a SOPUS product instead of the Mobil products, at 110 K miles, your engine would be running BETTER than new, rather than 'as new'

That's what their advertising would have me believe, for sure.

So how much are they paying you to advertise for them?

If the oil change interval is still every 5K miles or six months for warranty synthetic could get a bit expensive. Other than that I see no reason not to use synth.

Bought my toyota celica brand new in 2004.....always used synthetic oil and doesn't consume ANY oil yet. Mine called for 5w30.....I currently use Amsoil Signature 0w30 and change it once a year whether I have 5k or 10k on the oil.

I have a 2013 4runner with the 4.0 , the oil cap says 0-20 .
Toyota states 10k oil changes .
I do not know why the Tacoma would be any different .

Originally Posted By: Binkmann
I just bought a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with the 4 liter V6 engine. Apparently, it is one of the last Toyota engines NOT to come with synthetic oil from the factory. As a long time synthetic oil believer, can anyone tell me if there is a good reason NOT to use synthetic oil with this particular engine? The service manager thought the reason is Toyota only has 0w-20 synthetic oil, where the V6 engines require 5w-30 oil, thus they just use regular oil. I want to hear from experts on this matter, I have a jug of 5w-30 Mobil 1 ready to use. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2013 4runner with 0w20 filled 4.0 V6, I am not sure what the differences are but the engines are both 1GR-FE yet not identical.
Tacoma has 236 hp and 266 lb.-ft. of torque.
4runner has 270 hp and 278 lb.-ft. of torque.
Could you possibly post an image of the oil requirements page for your Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: ZO6_Vette
Originally Posted By: Binkmann

I have a 2013 4runner with 0w20 filled 4.0 V6, I am not sure what the differences are but the engines are both 1GR-FE yet not identical.
Tacoma has 236 hp and 266 lb.-ft. of torque.
4runner has 270 hp and 278 lb.-ft. of torque.
Could you possibly post an image of the oil requirements page for your Tacoma.

To my knowledge, the reciprocating assemblies of the two 4.0 engines are identical; the difference is that the newer 4Runners and FJ Cruisers have dual VVT-i, resulting in the power increase. The Tacoma ('05-present) has VVT-i only on the intake side.

Incidentally, the 4.0 can benefit from premium fuel. It's rated by Toyota to make a few more HP & LB-FT on high-test.

Toyota's specifying 20W on the newer engines was done for fuel economy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back