filter recommendation for a Lexus LS400 requested

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking either a Fram Ultra or the NipponDenso (since everything they make is pretty much the finest in the world of that component)

if y'all know something better than either of these two, please tell me what and why it's better.

I run a high end full synthetic such as Pennzoil Ultra and change oil about every 12,000 or so miles (mostly highway miles) so cost of the filter is not a consideration, just want the best quality construction, filtration, reliability etc. as far as bypass, anti-drainback etc.

Mobil 1 would be a good choice for an oil filter. I think your car takes the M1-102. And if it does and there's room you can try the longer version of that filter the M1-209. Same thread, base size, and bypass valve rating. It's longer holds a bit more oil, about 50% more, and lots more filter media all for the same price. It's a common substitution done by 4-Runner owners. They have the same engine but with a cast iron block and some detail differences and they are a 4.7 engine vs the 4.0 and 4.3 Lexus engines.

thanks, you actually anticipated my next question, which is what filters would be a larger volume (longer) option - lol

Your answer is the type of great answer we often see at the Club Lexus forum, very helpful!!

also, does anyone know the difference in these three Toyota filters that fit my car and who actually makes them for Toyota?

90915-20002
90915-20004
90915-YZZD3

Last edited:
My 300+k miles 1994 LS400 had many different low end to mid-range oil filters, from lowly Fram Extra Guard to Motorcraft, the engine is still running without any problem.

The filter change interval is once a year, the oil change interval is 6 months with dino and 1 year with syn. Same as oil filter, the car had many difference brands of oil.

The LS400 engine is almost bullet proof, any oil and filter could not kill it as long as the OCI is reasonable, about 7-8k with dino and 12-15k with synthetic. The air filter is more importance than oil filter, you want to get OEM filter because it's better quality than after market in term of quality filter media and precise fit.

Any decent filter that is a brand name we'd recognize would likely do fine for 10-12k miles. PureOne, Wix/NG (both cellulose and syn media options), BP+, FU, etc.

I personally would even go that far on a "normal" filter; I have and I continue to do so on my wife's Villager, as a test bed. But I do realize that I'm on the cusp of BITOG heresy and the potential horror causes many here to avert their eyes and cover their ears. Not because anything will screech to a halt, but because they refuse to see/hear the truth ...

Last edited:
Agree with the Denso statement with one exception. Oil filters. Its not Denso's construction or design, its the efficiency and capacity. Average. I run full syn extended OCI's, have tried many filters including Denso. The difference between average and high efficiency on extended OCI's is very noticeable to the eye. When I use a 95 or a 97% @20u efficiency filter, the oil is pretty dark by 5k. When I use a 99% @20u efficiency filter, the oil stays pretty clean all the way to 10k. Doesnt seem like much of a difference in efficiency on paper, but for both engines in my sig it is. 99%@ 20u gets most visible contaminants.

Denso does not publish oil filter efficiency or capacity but there have been tests performed on the net. The claim by Amsoil is 51% @ 20u. Seems low to me but they also list MC and the efficiency is close to the known efficiency which adds some accuracy to Amsoil's report.

So if 99% is trapping more "dirt" for longer periods, it will need more capacity or it could clog and bypass on an extended OCI. Thats rare but has happened to me in the past. If its newer than 02, your LS400 is vvt-i. Fast oil flow at startup is critical to vvt-i. If not, you get that nasty cold start 3 second controller rattle people complain about. So IMO high "dirt" trapping capacity using a high efficiency filter on an extended OCI is more important with Toyota vvt-i to prevent a lag in oil flow.

There are several filters with high efficiency, high capacity good for extended OCI's. I use the Fram Ultra on both engines right now. Besides the 99% efficiency and and 28g (? may be more) capacity, its the cheapest in this group, sold at walmart where i buy the oil $8.97. No extra trip for a filter. The m1 and other suggestions in this group are good too.

There are people on here that claim the 99.9% Purolator PureOne can be used for extended intervals, but IMO that depends on the driving conditions and current engine cleanliness. Its a standard resin coated cellulose media, so its capacity is limited. With such a high efficiency, clogging would be a concern (to me on a vvt-i) at 10k intervals.

Will using a lesser efficiency filter wreck the engine? No, but I have a history with Toyota engines and a common source of problems is engine deposits. It effects them more than others. So I'm more picky with oil and filters. It would seem Toyota thinks that too, they've switched over to syn only in the new engine designs.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Any decent filter that is a brand name we'd recognize would likely do fine for 10-12k miles. PureOne, Wix/NG (both cellulose and syn media options), BP+, FU, etc.

I personally would even go that far on a "normal" filter; I have and I continue to do so on my wife's Villager, as a test bed. But I do realize that I'm on the cusp of BITOG heresy and the potential horror causes many here to avert their eyes and cover their ears. Not because anything will screech to a halt, but because they refuse to see/hear the truth ...

haha, so true.

I believe Denso makes them all. The 90915-20002 was superseded by the 90915-20004 which is only available as a grey market product, you can find them on eBay or from Carson Toyota (l-tuned parts) for about $16. They have a unique foam filter element which has not been shown by anyone to be superior to the traditional pleated paper type.

Any of the YZZ type are pleated paper and are generally identical to the aftermarket Denso filters. You can usually find a good deal on them on eBay if you buy 10 or so.

Filters are overrated. Any good name brand filter is adequate for most cars. The Denso filters while not The World's Best Filter are fine. On the other hand, scrimping on a filter to save $3 which you only change 2-4 times a year is pointless.

Originally Posted By: LScowboy
thanks, you actually anticipated my next question, which is what filters would be a larger volume (longer) option - lol

Your answer is the type of great answer we often see at the Club Lexus forum, very helpful!!

also, does anyone know the difference in these three Toyota filters that fit my car and who actually makes them for Toyota?

90915-20002
90915-20004
90915-YZZD3

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My 300+k miles 1994 LS400 had many different low end to mid-range oil filters, from lowly Fram Extra Guard to Motorcraft, the engine is still running without any problem.

The filter change interval is once a year, the oil change interval is 6 months with dino and 1 year with syn. Same as oil filter, the car had many difference brands of oil.

The LS400 engine is almost bullet proof, any oil and filter could not kill it as long as the OCI is reasonable, about 7-8k with dino and 12-15k with synthetic. The air filter is more importance than oil filter, you want to get OEM filter because it's better quality than after market in term of quality filter media and precise fit.
Yes, the air filter is more important than the oil filter. And yes, if you go with OEM air filters, (Denso, I believe) that great engine will be extremely well protected. Oil filters? Wix/NAPA, Toyota/Denso, Baldwin/Hastings are all excellent.

some Lexus LS400's have oil and air filters made by a company called Toyota Boshoku - has anyone even split one of those open?

for now, I am going to run a Fram Ultra in the oversize XG8600 version and with Pennzoil Ultra, so it will match - lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back