2004 MB C320 oil/filer and air filter change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to take the plunge and help out my mother in law on her 2004 C320.
7.5 quarts M1 5w40, Wix cartridge oil and (2) air filters.

Where's the filter on this car, topside or underneath? Any special things I need to be wary of either with the oil change or the air filters?

Is it a 4matic or RWD? AFAIK, the 4matic takes 7.4 quarts while the RWD one takes 7.9 quarts of oil.

Filter is at the top...

35551-c320-w203-oil-change-question-help-16_1405317_252005111807pm.jpg

Here is a DIY procedure for an E320, but it should be pretty much identical for the C320. It may require you to register on benzworld before you can access the link:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachme...6-oilchange.pdf

I thought that can up top was the filter but I didn't want to open it and have coolant or something else come spewing out.

Her OCI is whenever she thinks it needs to be changed....it is usually under 10K and it's always been M1 5w40 in there.

What's wrong with the ESP? That's exactly what I purchased. Giant rebate on Amazon. It says it meets MB's spec for diesel and gas engines. I'm using it, no going back now.

Thanks so much for the PDF, and why do ze Germans make things so complicated?!?!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
What's wrong with the ESP? That's exactly what I purchased.

The ESP is a low SAPS formula - weaker add pack (low TBN) to protect modern diesel emissions equipment (diesel particulate filters). Because of this, it may not be the best oil for longer OCIs in gas engines in the US.

ESP meets MB 229.51 spec. Your C320 needs MB 229.5, therefore you'd be better off using M1 0w-40 in it - $25/5qt at Walmart.

My local MB dealer offers Mobil 1 5W40 Formula M for $6/quart; if it wasn't so reasonably priced I'd use M1 0W40 for my dad's E350.

Last edited:
With a Mityvac fluid extractor, the entire oil change on a MB can be accomplished without getting under the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
With a Mityvac fluid extractor, the entire oil change on a MB can be accomplished without getting under the car.

Sure can. I used it on both our cars.

I use Mityvac to do oil change plus ATF and brake bleeding.

The Mityvac paid for itself within one year of use. My local MB dealer wants $150 for oil+filter in 2004-2005 and $200 now, I can do it with Mityvac in less than 40-45 minutes for less than $50-60, because I bought oil on sale and filter online.

Question for you MB people.....the link Quattro Pete sent me shows the car on a curb so the oil drains out better. Is this what I need to do on the C320 or will driving it up ramps be OK?

Ramps will work just fine. Keep in mind that thing has 8qts in it and it'll come spewing out with some serious force. So you need a big catch pan (or two small ones) and you need to be on your toes to make sure that it doesn't spill all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back