You'd think we live further north..

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the amount of rust the Escape has! Rust sure is a sneaky creature. I typically rinse the underneath every time it's washed even in the winter, perhaps wash it too much? A couple years ago for 2 straight years I sprayed some old oil but it got to messy to continue. This isn't the only rust either. Floor pans up front, the wheel wells in the rear completely rusted through.. that was well hidden.

The back story is build date is 9/03 and we bought it in 06 with 36k. Not sure if PO's non treatment had anything to do with it. This vehicle is typically driven in bad weather versus our others. The Focus has hardly any rust. It did set on the street till we got a driveway and they use a sand/salt mixture that's still on the road today.

For right now I took a wire brush and sprayed some rust converter on it. When I get back from our trip to Cali planning on getting a wire wheel for the angle grinder and retreating with rust converter (not sure how much that helps) and after some rustoleum. So much for driving it till it dies.. may rust in half first!

photo_zpsd6f19b35.jpg

Wire wheels on angle grinders absolutely beat doing any other way like with a drill or whatever.

Pro tip, get a cup brush, it'll flatten out some with use.

At 9 years I wouldnt be worrying about that..
If it were me I'd just soak the cavity with Fluid Film or Krown rust proof and do it annually or semi annually.

I used a cup wheel on the drill in this pic just take some off loose before treating. Don't really prefer the cup wheel since it's harder to control.. but I can see it flattening out on a angle grinder.

After pics will have to be in a couple weeks. I was just looking it over since we're leaving on Saturday. Not alot of time. No Krown around here Fluid Film Grainger has.. I don't know of anything else. May not use rustoleum except the hitch don't want to cover it up where I can't watch it. 9 years this is probably nothing compared to Canada's vehicles.

An old trick we use here involves a brush and a bucket of grease. You smear the underneath of the car with grease and then you drive for an hour on a country road where the dust is like 5 inch deep. That makes a paste like concrete that protects the bottom part of the car for ages
laugh.gif

No surprise there. Our 05 Mountaineer is starting to rust out in many places, and not just the frame.

Whereas our 03 A6 still does not have a hint of rust anywhere. They've both spent their whole life in the east central area of Wisconsin, where salt is used like there's an unlimited supply.

But when the Mercury came with a 5 year, 60k mile rust warranty and the Audi has a 12 year, unlimited mileage rust warranty what did anyone expect to happen? One is just built more rust resistant than the other.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Fords seem to be the worst rusters of anything ...

No..Hondas and some Toyotas will dissolve while you watch...mostly the SUVs and not the cars though for some reason.

This is the only Ford I've owned that has rusted. Can't comment on any others makes. My wife's old 89 Corolla was rusted pretty bad.. I told her everything she touches turns to rust! No wonder i'm falling apart!

The Escape seems to be a redesigned Taurus with Mazda touches.

If there is a trace of Mazda blood in it, then that would explain it. Yes, it is a provocative statement but few people here would back me up.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I had the Uplander treated at the local Krown applicator today.

I love the smell of that stuff for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back