Which Drill Press Under $400 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which floor standing drill press under $400 offers the most 'bang for the buck" for occasional use in a home shop? (To be used with metal and wood.)

I have a garage woodworker shop and mostly rely on my Dela 3hp saw and 8" jointer as well as Jet 15" planer. My bandsaw is Delta 1hp and my upright drill press is 16 1/2 900 series Delta. Nothing special but has never failed me. I've never pressed it into anything serious but it's also about 12 years old. Belts are old school; change em on different pulley's.

I'd go that route for cheap and the use you are looking for.

I'd check out your local pawn shops for an older Delta or U.S. made Craftsman. Even Craigs list or E-Bay to for that matter.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Have you checked the Harbor Freight website?.......

Yes. I have personal experience with HF tools, and based on that it is unlikely, but not impossible, that I would buy a drill press from them.

I scored a USA made, Craftsman Pro 15", 1HP, Upright drill press from Craigslist for $150 last fall. It was made in 1997 when they were still usa made, in very good shape and all I had to do was dust it off and tighten the main motor pulley a bit.

My craigslist area has several deals like this, I would suggest you check your area for similar finds. If not, you should be able to pick up a new craftsman for around $400 if you have a coupon, find a sale or something.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Make sure to look at the lowest speed if you want to use it on metal or use hole saws. Some inexpensive drill presses' lowest speed is 500 rpm which is way too fast for a lot of stuff.

Take a look at Grizzly tools.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-14-Floor-Drill-Press/G7944

I inherited the Delta from my Dad and its probably 50 years old, maybe 40. It had a 5 step pulley to get a low speed. But that was not good enough for my Dad. He mounted a mandrel where the motor was and remounted the motor (two step reduction) so the speed can be very low now if needed.

Look for a used Delta.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Delta-case closed
Which sub- $400 Delta do you recommend?
the one sold at Tractor Supply
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/black-bulltrade%3B-drill-press-with-laser-guide--work-light-16-speed
Delta clone

Check for free play as you lower the chuck ( I had to drill and Tap a bolt to compensate for a loose fit on my 'low cost' Drill press)
Also, check for Run-Out (Wobble) at the Drill bit, some can be really bad!

You may want to check how deep the chuck will lower or How deep a hole you can drill. Again, some are really pathetic.

As someone already stated, you might be better buying Quality used, that Cheap and shiney.

Also, most likely won't need too many speeds, providing they are in a wide range. My drill is 16 speed, 162 rpm - 3000 rpm but in reality I only use about half that selection.

Bottom line; Any drill press is better than No drill press.

My Dad also wired up a foot switch control that was momentary contact. So if something got loose and you were being cut, just release your foot. It was (and still is) a non grounded plug. Thats how old it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back