pennzoil platinum or ultra for honda k24

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I changed my oil for the first time yesterday. Put in Castrol Edge w/ Titanium 5w20 and Fram Ultra filter. Sounds like less piston slap when I turned it on this morning, could be in my head though. Anyway, from reading some reviews on here lots of you seem to like Pennzoil Platinum, and UOA show that so do the Honda engines. Between Platinum and Ultra which would you recommend for my next oil change down the road? Price doesn't matter. Which one would give me a quieter running engine also? Ive seen a couple UOA of the platinum, but not much on the ultra. Also should I stick with the Fram Ultra filter or would something be better? Is K&N any better than the fram ultra? what is the filtration % on those? thanks!

Last edited:
Ultra filter + Ultra oil = Ultra combo.
grin.gif

But as far as quieting down regular engine noise and not regular piston slap...would either be better? or would the castrol edge titanium be best for quiet. I just see that pennzoil is good for quieting down engines.

Quieter engine is subjective, truthfully. I'd try different oils until you find the one that seems quietest.

If the motor is noisy, perhaps it is overdue for a valve lash adjustment?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Quieter engine is subjective, truthfully. I'd try different oils until you find the one that seems quietest.

If the motor is noisy, perhaps it is overdue for a valve lash adjustment?

I think its just typical Honda noise...already had them adjusted 10,000 miles ago. Injectors are clean too. I use techron as maintenance every now and then, before oil changes. No noises stand out really, except piston slap EVERY morning and after the car has been sitting for a while then started up. Again it might all be in my head but when i started the car this morning (the morning after changing to Castrol Edge w/ Titanium, the piston slap seemed to not be as loud. who knows. ill listed again tomorrow when I start the car.

Trial and error my friend. I would be surprised if you make a full 300mile OCI. Pennzoil plat/Ultra will not stop that noise, you will have to go thicker to quiet that down but I highly doubt that noise is indicative of any problem. I had a '10 Nissan Altima 2.5 and I used every major 5w30 along with Amsoil 0w30. I found the better grade of "synthetic" ie. Amsoil and M1 EP had the worst acoustics. Conventional worked better but the noise almost completely went away with Castrol Syntec 5w40. Try it next time.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Trial and error my friend. I would be surprised if you make a full 300mile OCI. Pennzoil plat/Ultra will not stop that noise, you will have to go thicker to quiet that down but I highly doubt that noise is indicative of any problem. I had a '10 Nissan Altima 2.5 and I used every major 5w30 along with Amsoil 0w30. I found the better grade of "synthetic" ie. Amsoil and M1 EP had the worst acoustics. Conventional worked better but the noise almost completely went away with Castrol Syntec 5w40. Try it next time.

Interesting...well Im planning on going to 5000 mi this time then getting an UOA done. I wont go any less than 4000 miles though. But no more than 5000. Oil is cheap, why not change it often? Not trying to start a war here lol. Just my opinion. Plus I get concered about all the fuel dilusion and water in oil it might have after 5000 miles of 3 mile or less trips

Last edited:
why not give M1 AFE 0w30 a shot. Available at your nearest walmart for $24.97/ 5 qt jug. The same K24 in a higher tune is spec'd for 5w30 in the TSX.

They are basicly the same oil with extra additive for the ultra.

Its not diffrence between sytnethic and conventional.

If you find deal for ULTRA that makes more sense ( better oil filter , ect) get that otherwise get the Platnium and sleep well.

You have japanesse car it will be ok.

See my sig. Seems to be better than Amsoil and Mobil with a factory filter. The noise is still there, just not as bad.

I cut out the opinions, but the first statement is false unless the Ultra repackaging rumors hold out to be true for newer bottles. AFAIK, the repackaging rumor is about as true as my Pennzoil Diamond (TM - Coprolite) observation.

The second statement is particularly applicable for Hondas. You won't have any trouble with oil in you car, so just experiment until you find what you like best. Some people think Boron additives contribute to quieter engines, which would give a possible edge to the Ultra.

If you go for the Fram Ultra, use it for at least the 2 recommended OCI by Honda. It will handle it easily. If I were doing 5k OCI, I would use it for 3 with no worries.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
They are basicly the same oil with extra additive for the ultra.

You have japanesse car it will be ok.

The differences between Ultra and PP may or may not be worth it for you:

Ultra - TBN of 13, ultra low NOACK%
PP - TBN of 9, and $5 cheaper/5qt jug at walmart.

If you want to extend the OCI as far as possible, go with Ultra. If you aren't, you won't see any benefits to Ultra over PP, IMO.

If you're looking to quiet down an engine, look for an oil with a high level of Boron. MolaKule indicated that Boron in an anti-wear additive that works when cold, so it will keep the metal parts seperated when you first start your engine as opposed to ZDDP and the others that need to be brought up to temperature to work as designed.

I don't think he commented on whether or not Titanium works the same way that Boron does, so maybe he'll see this and weigh in on that.

OP, you're not going to quiet the piston slap. Our bought new 2010 Honda Element has piston slap on cold starts that's so bad I can almost feel it. It is a characteristic of this motor. I even tried German Castrol in it to try and silence it but I swear it made it worse. Just be glad your Accord has more sound proofing than our Element!

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
OP, you're not going to quiet the piston slap. Our bought new 2010 Honda Element has piston slap on cold starts that's so bad I can almost feel it. It is a characteristic of this motor. I even tried German Castrol in it to try and silence it but I swear it made it worse. Just be glad your Accord has more sound proofing than our Element!

Scott

Agreed. The k24 is notorious for this "clacking" noise, especially when it is cold out, ie sub 50F. By most accounts this is not indicative of a mechanical issue but the nature of the engine. I have not found any oils which mitigate this unsettling sound. My advice: turn up the radio for the first 10 minutes of driving, after that, turn it down and listen to the engine purr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back