30w-20w50 what is differnce

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder will couple years old john deer mover benefit from 10w-40 oil if it came with 10w-30 original oil,which I will run out soon?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
30W is less shear-prone, 20W50 will eventually shear down to a 20W.

...Huh?

I've never heard of a 30W engine oil.

A 20W-50 is already a 20W, hence 20W-50. And most modern 20W-50s are very shear stable.

Shoulda added a LOL in there.

I know someone that used to put Valvoline VR-1 straight-50 and straight-60 in his engine in the summer ONLY...........

The following is a VOA of B&S 30wt:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1470947#Post1470947

As you can see it is not a heavy 30wt oil with a KV100 of 9.8cSt.
Being a mono-grade oil I suspect it's VI is about 100.
It will be much lighter than a 20W-50 and even a 15W-40 even on start-up at temp's above freezing.

That said I've been using up some 25 year old 20W-50 drained out of my Europa for the past number of years in my B & S lawnmower.
It starts fine in the summer months, not so well in the cooler fall weather.
For this season I've finally used up the last of the 20W-50 and actually topped up with some high moly and ZDDP 0W-20 oil drained out of my Caterham. The lower oil drag is noticeable on starting.

A 10W-30 HDEO make a good lawnmower oil. and is usually cheaper than buying a dedicated lawnmower oil.

LMAO!!!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
He means 30 weight and not 30W. I would suggest that a 20w50 is more sear stable than a 30 today because of the better base stock.

Pardon.
A straight 30 grade has no viscosity improvers and I doubt will shear at all. It may get fuel diluted but I doubt very much any shear would be detectable.
A 20w-50 will shear somewhat,depending on the application.
So I think your statement is backwards.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
He means 30 weight and not 30W. I would suggest that a 20w50 is more sear stable than a 30 today because of the better base stock.

+1

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

You've never heard of SAE 30 ?

Please tell me you know that SAE 30 and 30W are two different things.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You've never heard of SAE 30 ?

Please tell me you know that SAE 30 and 30W are two different things.

So whats the difference?
The terms are used interchangeably as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey
So whats the difference?

If a number is followed by a w, that's a winter cranking designation. A 10w is not the same as a 10w-30. A 20w-20 is not the same as a straight 20. For example, to be a 20w, an oil must have CCV of 9500 cP or better at -15 C, and so forth. To define SAE 20, one looks at the kinematic viscosities and the HTHS.

^ Pretty much.

W numbers are about cold cranking. SAE numbers, or the numbers after the hyphen in a multi-grade rating (e.g. the 30 in a 10w-30), are about hot kinematic and HTHS viscosity. The two numbers are pretty much unrelated. Saying "30W" when you mean "SAE 30" or "xw-30" is like saying brown eyes when you mean brown hair.

Originally Posted By: Garak
So whats the difference?

If a number is followed by a w, that's a winter cranking designation. A 10w is not the same as a 10w-30. A 20w-20 is not the same as a straight 20. For example, to be a 20w, an oil must have CCV of 9500 cP or better at -15 C, and so forth. To define SAE 20, one looks at the kinematic viscosities and the HTHS.

Interesting... when I google "30W oil", it appears that (just on the first two pages) amazon, walmart, advance auto parts, lowes, O'reillys, summit racing, fastenal, grainger, tractor supply, northern tool and sears all classify SAE30 oils under the title of 30W. Are they all wrong in thinking that the term 30W is not interchangable with SAE30?

when I google "30W oil", it appears that (just on the first two pages) amazon, walmart, advance auto parts, lowes, O'reillys, summit racing, fastenal, grainger, tractor supply, northern tool and sears all classify SAE30 oils under the title of 30W. Are they all wrong in thinking that the term 30W is not interchangable with SAE30?

Try Googling "harmonic balancer" and see how many links you find that are actually about regular non-balancing crankshaft pulleys.

Are they all wrong in thinking that the term 30W is not interchangable with SAE30?

The parts stores are mistaken. There's no 30w designation for oil. There is a 20w and an SAE 20, and the terms are not interchangeable. When it comes to 30, there is only SAE 30, no 30W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back