2013 Equinox Stabili-Track Service Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my Mom's 2013 Chevy Equinox with less than 4,000 miles.

While cruising down the highway with the cruise on at 72mph and a VERY light sprinkle, the cruise kicked off. Then the ABS light was on....and so was the "slippery road" light on the gauge cluster. The info screen said "4 wheel drive disabled".

When she got to my house, she kept it running and I saw all of this. We shut the car off, and re-started it. Now the info screen says "Service Stabili-Track" with ABS and Slippery Road light on as well.

She back out of my driveway to go home, and put it in drive and all the lights and messages cleared.

Any idea what happened? Should she take it to the dealer to have them check it out? Anyone experience anything like this? Looking for advice on what to do next.

Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking its going to happen again.Probably a defective speed sensor or maybe even a connection thats not firmly seated.

My Acura MDX does a similiar thing when the check engine light goes on. Our Subaru does not loose AWD (mechanical bliss) but the cruise disables and ABS light illuminates when CEL is on.

Is it possible CEL came on briefly and off? My Subaru and Acura do clear typically once CEL is off.

Yeah connection or sensor. Doubt a computer fried. Did she run over something? Drive on rough/bad roads? Lots of snow this winter where she may have driven over some that was too high and loosened something?

Dirty sensor or bad sensor. You are under warranty, don't ask us goof balls, take it in.
smile.gif

Snagged wire. It'll come up again. Take it in to start a paper trail but don't expect anything the first time if it's working when you show up with it.

Despite their best efforts it seems that ABS wires either metal fatigue or get snagged on stuff like ball joint studs, then appear okay from an external exam. The code you get will probably be for "judder" IE no clear speed for that wheel.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I'm thinking its going to happen again.Probably a defective speed sensor or maybe even a connection thats not firmly seated.

+1 Bring it to the dealer and have them test it. At the very least you can have it documented that this was an issue in case it should happen again. CYA!

Yeah I concur with above. Bad sensor or loose connection. Have them document it, fix it if they find anything, if not it's documented and you are covered for the future.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Despite their best efforts it seems that ABS wires either metal fatigue or get snagged on stuff like ball joint studs, then appear okay from an external exam. The code you get will probably be for "judder" IE no clear speed for that wheel.

Yes, I dread doing work on ABS Toyotas because they are the worst for this. I warn the service writer and get blamed anyway for those sensors...

Anyway, I agree that you should go to the dealer. Something is defective. If the system is not giving you error messages now or weird problems, there may be an error stored in the memory of the computer. That error recorded in the memory may be enough for the dealer tech to repair the problem.

Loose connector or dirty sensor. Some Cruzes had that happen to them this past winter. It turned out to be either dirt on the sensor or a loose connector.

Well, I drove the Equinox this weekend and it did it again on the highway....cruise cut off, a hesitation/pause, and then "Service Stabilitrak" on monitor.

I would stop the car, it would work ok for a bit, clearing the codes for awhile. Symptoms came back. One time at an intersection, it car "bucked" a few times, until the error code finally flashed up, which disabled the 4-wheel drive, and then I could finally move forward without issue.

Anyhow, the car is going to the dealer this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back