can you mix a 5w20 and 5w30???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer to your question is yes.

The question should be rephrased "if I mix a 5w20 and 5w30 what criteria should I use."

Ideally:
The oil should be the same brand and within the same product range within the brand.

The resultant viscosity should be within the range recommended by the OEM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Just wondering if it is completely safe to mix a 5w20 and 5w30 oil?? as in, 3.5 quarts of 5w20 and 1 quart of 5w30 to give my car a little extra protection...all this reading up on how thin 5w20 is and cam lobe wear issues has got me a little concerned. Is the 5w20 the 2.4 recommends enough to protect my car in the Florida summer heat?

Personally IMO no. I would not mix different brands though, like going from say Pennzoil conv. 5w-20 to Mobil 1 Full Synth. 5w-30.
That I would not do. I will also say that on the Pennzoil "Ultra" brand it does I believe state that it is safe to use with all other oil types, it says so on the bottle I think... so who really knows for sure. Just for std. practice I don't do it.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Why is it people are convinced that warm weather is beyond the operating conditions envisioned by carmakers?

It's not but their hands are tied by CAFE, can't recommend a more suitable oil for extreme conditions because it's going to maybe cut mileage by .1%...

In Fla where it almost always between 60* & 100*F, there isn't a vehicle out there that specifies 5W-20 that I would not be using a 5W-30 in...

Never found a single out-of-the bottle PCMO to do all that I require it to do. I am currently mixing 10w30 rotella T5 into 0w20 QSUD. My previous mix in was M1 4T motorcycle racing until it became a "faux" synthetic.
The QS-Shell brew seems to be a good combo.
If I were tending to add a little viscosity due to hard driving style or in a workhorse - I would use a dual rated HD lube like Rottella T5 or T6 - I would also skip any oil that uses a NaXx package like Castrol, Valvoline or Napa or XoM.
If the engine wasnt noisy as all getout I wouldnt do a mix in. Seems to be needed. I cant tolerate a passenger car engine that sounds like a failing diesel. Honda??!! You Listening !!??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brnmw
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Just wondering if it is completely safe to mix a 5w20 and 5w30 oil?? as in, 3.5 quarts of 5w20 and 1 quart of 5w30 to give my car a little extra protection...all this reading up on how thin 5w20 is and cam lobe wear issues has got me a little concerned. Is the 5w20 the 2.4 recommends enough to protect my car in the Florida summer heat?

Personally IMO no. I would not mix different brands though, like going from say Pennzoil conv. 5w-20 to Mobil 1 Full Synth. 5w-30.
That I would not do. I will also say that on the Pennzoil "Ultra" brand it does I believe state that it is safe to use with all other oil types, it says so on the bottle I think... so who really knows for sure. Just for std. practice I don't do it.

(Personally IMO no.)

This I meant "no" as in it is okay to mix 5w-20 with 5w-30 no problem there

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Why is it people are convinced that warm weather is beyond the operating conditions envisioned by carmakers?

It's not but their hands are tied by CAFE, can't recommend a more suitable oil for extreme conditions because it's going to maybe cut mileage by .1%...

This^. If the engineers want to keep their job, they toe the CAFE line.

Yes you can mix or use 5w30 alone. Your engine will not know the difference. That being said it wont benefit it that much either. I put 0w40 in my 2.4 Sonata just because I like M1 0w40
33.gif
...it does run nicely though.

Mix away...I am just more likely to mix the same brand nowadays as opposed to different oils/add packs.

Originally Posted By: S65AMG

Because some car makers specify heavier oil above certain temperatures and some car makers specify heavier oil in some countries but not in others.
+1

Originally Posted By: TFB1

In Fla where it almost always between 60* & 100*F, there isn't a vehicle out there that specifies 5W-20 that I would not be using a 5W-30 in...
+1 Especially if it's 5W 20 dino you are replacing. Full synthetic 5W 20 might be fine, even in South FLorida. The real key to this, as others have pointed out,for South Florida use for example, is what is the OEM oil recmendation for Hondas sold in the Middle East.

Last edited:
As someone who also lives in FL, I can give you full assurance that running 5w20 will not damage your engine. Mixing 1 gt of 5w30 will not hurt or make a bit of difference either. Having said that, I would just run all 5w30 if you're really that worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back