plastic deck Hondas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a Honda harmony self propelled mower given to me that needs a lot of work, but among that, there are some cracks in the deck. I was hoping to fix it up and sell it, but that will be hard with a cracked deck. Are they repairable? If not, I may use it for parts, or fix the motor up and keep an eye out for one with a bad engine. Our may just get it running and use it for myself as I don't think the cracks will really hurt it any

Last edited:
It is really difficult to crack the deck on one of those. Must be beat to heck.

You can try JB Weld. Maybe Bondo. Both will be visible though.

Can you take a picture of the cracks in the deck? If they're not structural, you can probably keep using it. Myself, I'd probably salvage the good parts from it and recycle the deck. But it may be in better shape than I imagine, too.

I will post pics tonight if I get a chance. There is a crack on top, where the "hump" that the left front wheel mounts to meets the "tunnel"of the deck. This one isn't structural as it doesn't go through to the underside. Unfortunately its visible. The others are in the bottom edge of the tunnel, by the edge of the blade (probably rocks). They aren't really structural I guess, but like any crack, i'm sure they will eventually spread.

I just did a quick browse on Plano Power's website. I see some replacement OEM plastic decks for ~$73. That's a lot less that I figured they'd be.

FWIW, in years of following this stuff, I haven't heard of too much cracking of these decks. They're an awesome idea IMO. Self propelled or not, lightweight is what you want for a push mower of this caliber. My steel deck Snapper commercial 21" is a pig.

Yeah I looked up my deck on Plano's site and it was in the $180 range, same as my local dealer. I've seen used harmonies on CL for as little as $150, and i'm looking at $140 in parts just to replace the missing air cleaner and damaged carb, so i'm not sure what I'll do. I liked this one cause its an older model with the hxv140 engine, so maybe I'll try and get the engine running and keep it for a future project. It was outside under a tree with the carb off for about a year, but it turns over fine and no moisture on the dipstick, so I don't think it got any water in it. I would have rebuilt the carb, but he melted the mounting point for the float ( don't ask) and it appears I can't get just that piece. $45 just for the carb. If the deck were good, I wouldn't even give fixing it a second thought, and then sell my lawn boy and snapper.

Last edited:
Fix it.
smile.gif
I just got a Harmony 215 that has been in my family for about 15 years or so. Has the plastic deck. While a little stained from gas spills, it has held up VERY well. If the engine is in good shape overall, repair it. I am shocked that this "old" honda starts easier and runs better than my 4 year old Craftsmen. They are great mowers and will last a long time. Jack's Small Engine also has parts at a good price!

Yeah, I just hate to spending $140 in parts just to get it running, not including the $180 for the deck if I decide to fix that, when I can buy them for the same or less money on CL.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
Yeah, I just hate to spending $140 in parts just to get it running,
you need to shop around and be patient. make it a long term project if need be. NO WAY IN HE double hockey sticks should you be spending $140 in parts for a push mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back