can mixing Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra do any harm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok it's OCI time and my car takes 7qts. I had a 5 qt jug of 5w20 PP and had 2 qts of PU in the basement also 5W20. I was wondering will it do any harm to mix these 2 or should i just go purchase 2 qts of PP. Both are the same weight and same manufacturer im guessing one has stronger add pack but its the same make up? 6k or 7.5k intervals.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I could be wrong, but mixing oils like that is certain to make your engine fall out within the first 5 miles!

Based on the mixing ratio, and quarts used , wouldn't it be safer to say that the engine will put a rod through the block and explode at 7 miles.

It will cause a warp in the space time continuum. Also, you will now have to hire a team of NASA engineers to compute your ROI for this OCI since you are combining two different synthetic oils. If you fail to follow their directions exactly as prescribed your fellow bitog'ers will burn you at the stake.

You have been warned.

I'm doing it now in the Pontiac. It guzzled down a jug of Ultra, now I'm topping off with PP. Getting close to 50/50. I can't tell any difference.

If this mixing could cause a problem then there's an oil company in a lot of trouble. And don't believe that your engine will fail in 5 to 7 miles. It will be at least 10 miles. You can get around this by not starting your engine. When you're driving your car without the engine running there is a reduced chance of total engine failure. Just make sure to give your wife a rest every now and then especially if she has to fix dinner, wash your clothes and make the bed when you get home.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I'm doing it now in the Pontiac. It guzzled down a jug of Ultra, now I'm topping off with PP. Getting close to 50/50. I can't tell any difference.

I'm doing the opposite in my Pontiac: filled with PP and have been topping off with my mini-stash of PU. I actually drained the last drops of six bottles of PU used to fill up the Burb into a 5 qt jug with about 1/2 qt of PP left over from the Pontiac's fill. I was concerned about spontaneous combustion due to creating such a devil's brew, but so far so good.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If this mixing could cause a problem then there's an oil company in a lot of trouble. And don't believe that your engine will fail in 5 to 7 miles. It will be at least 10 miles. You can get around this by not starting your engine. When you're driving your car without the engine running there is a reduced chance of total engine failure. Just make sure to give your wife a rest every now and then especially if she has to fix dinner, wash your clothes and make the bed when you get home.

Barnieeee!!!!

It depends on which one you pour in first. You either get Platra or Ultinum. For a fresh oil change Platra is better but Ultinum is great as a top-off.If you were to spike it with Gold you'd end up with Goltinum which is what they really use in NASCAR engines but is too "HOT" for normal engines...
29.gif

Yes oh Yes it can. Be advised that the mixing of oils can result in a dangerous situation. If can result in a blown blow off valve. If this occurs, you could lose all the oil onto the street below you and then be liable for the clean up procedures. Luckily this will not be as much as the BP oil spill in the gulf of Mexice. However, if the engine decides to take a dump and your wife is driving at the moment, you will get a call for a rescue and then an explanation. Please have one prepared that seems likely and genuine. However, I use oil cocktails routinely and have never had any problem. So I suspect your wife will not have to call for a rescue. Good luck with your experiment.
spankme2.gif

I just changed the oil in my 2005 Honda Accord as follows:

1 qt M1 0-20
1 qt M1 5-20
2 qts PP 0-20
1/2 qt PU 5-20

These were all leftovers from previous changes. So far the only difference I have noticed is more space on my shelf for oil. I think canola oil would work in a Honda but next change will be PYB 5-20.

Originally Posted By: cwing6

1 qt M1 0-20
1 qt M1 5-20
2 qts PP 0-20
1/2 qt PU 5-20

These were all leftovers from previous changes. So far the only difference I have noticed is more space on my shelf for oil. I think canola oil would work in a Honda but next change will be PYB 5-20.

Um, that adds up to 4.5 qts.
thankyou2.gif

Well thanks for the advice. Those who answered seriously. I have heard from alot of different people different things like an oil company may use different add packs and the combination of the two may cause excessive wear or sludging

Blue, good math. What is the concern? IIRC, that is about the right amount for an Accord.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

1 qt M1 0-20
1 qt M1 5-20
2 qts PP 0-20
1/2 qt PU 5-20

thankyou2.gif

I shower using Spice bar soap. My boss got [censored] when I showed up to the meeting soaking everyone with hot steamy water. I smelled fresh though :) Oh, we are talking about mixing oil?????

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Blue, good math. What is the concern? IIRC, that is about the right amount for an Accord.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

1 qt M1 0-20
1 qt M1 5-20
2 qts PP 0-20
1/2 qt PU 5-20

thankyou2.gif

Nothing of concern. Just showing off my math skills.
banana2.gif

What was the OP Q??
05.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back