Which oil is good for my nissan versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i was looking for oil recommendation for my nissan versa (also called nissan tiida in my region).

I have a Nissan Versa Sedan 2008 model - 1.6L engine. [About 112,000 km on odo]

The manual recommends SAE-5W30, but all lube stations out here put SAE-20W50 on all cars by default. Recommended oil change interval is 5000km's (i guess). [img:left]http://www.nissanversaforums.com/attachm...on-dscf1747-jpg[/img]

I live in a desert environment - VERY HIGH TEMPERATURES!
Sometimes peaks upto 47 deg C (116 deg F) in July. Never cold here, the minimum morning temperatures are like 20 deg C (68 def F)

Driving style here is very rough. EXTREME stop and go and bumper to bumper traffic. Revving upto 5K rpm is a common sight for me on every trip.

Daily drive is like 20km City (which takes a hour) oneway or 40km in total. Additional short trips are frequent at times.

No known problems.

On an additional note - it takes me about 5-6 months to do 5000km, which is my current oil change interval. Although some people recommended 5000km or 3 months - whichever comes first, I go for the 5000km interval occurs about 6 months, or 2 oil changes a year.

I was specifically looking out for
-Which type of oil is good for my purpose - mineral, semi-synthetic or synthetic [keeping my daily mileage in consideration]
-What rating is good for my purpose [keeping the environment and driving style in consideration]
-Optional - any nice brand meeting the above requirements.

From what I hear alot of the local oil can be junk

try to get namebrand oil and filters.

The engine is watercooled so its fairly pointless to go too thick. that being said I dont think 15w40 or 20w50 would hurt the engine.

I would use whatever you are comfortable with.

Looking at that pic from the manual, and going on the temps you're reporting, the 20w50 sounds fine assuming it has the right rating.

+1 on a Name Brand oil.

In your temperatures I'd suggest you take good care of your coolant. Your car is liquid cooled and you can kill a car faster with a poor coolant system condition than about anything else.

Originally Posted By: Rand
From what I hear alot of the local oil can be junk

try to get namebrand oil and filters.

The engine is watercooled so its fairly pointless to go too thick. that being said I dont think 15w40 or 20w50 would hurt the engine.

I would use whatever you are comfortable with.

They probably have better oil available than in the US, as money is no object for most owners.
I'm surprised that 20/50 is the standard bulk oil, but I presume that is a local brew designed for the high temps. Otherwise I would have thought any major brand 15/40 that can be found in the oil finders would be the right range.
Engine oil has to be changed more frequently in desert conditions due to Silicon contamination and getting stuck in traffic could even add fuel contamination, so there is not much point in using expensive full synthetic for a short severe service interval.
It would be a real good idea to get an annual UOA to see the contaminant figures, as that is the best way to figure out a good OCI. Use OEM oil and air filters, but any major brand 15/40 or even 20/50 would be good and Castrol, Mobil and Shell all do good oils. There might even be a Liqui Moly dealer and they also do some good thicker oils.

Here is one idea:
Synthoil 10/50 data sheet.

Last edited:
The other thing with the Versas, is they only have a 3 quart oil capacity. A lot less than the 5 / 6 that we see out of most other cars.

My wife has an '09 Versa and we get that changed with mineral 5W-30 through the dealer. But it does not get that hot here in the islands. Call your local dealer there and ask them what they put in?

If you do OC yourself, I'd go with a well-known brand 5W-30 full synthetic like Mobil 1 and 10k km OCI, or PYB conventional 5W-30 with 5k km OCI. Both have high VI's for their type. I'd use OEM oil filters though.

I am thinking of going with a branded semi-synthethic oil along with OEM filter.
Most probably 15W40 or 20W40.

Another recommendation i was looking for is the service interval.
-Should i go for a time based interval - service after ? months.
-Or should i go for a odo based interval - service after ? kms.

I clock about 1000 km's a month, with severe driving conditions.

Purolator PureOne filters are supposed to be the best. Getting a filter with the greatest amount of filtration (99.9%) is probly more important than what oil you choose.

I would think that either a 15w-40 or a 20w-50 would be fine during the summer. But a 10w-40 would be preferred during the winter.

Semi-synthetic is probly a waste of money. A good filter and changing every 6 months is all you need.

Both are excellent choice so long as they are not locally blended (they are all imported).

Go with factory Nissan oil filters in your area. If you can shop online and get bulk packs, then you save.

Disregard some other posters response for they don't even read postings properly to begin with (UAE and not USA).

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back