New Windows to be like the old Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/07/windows_8_u_turn/

Quote:

Leaked builds of Windows Blue in recent weeks suggest a loosening of the Metro straitjacket. These builds indicate that Windows Blue will introduce the ability for users to boot straight to desktop mode and to bypass the Metro-Style Start menu. Microsoft is also considering bringing back the abandoned Start button

Wow, what a boatload of unhappy people will do to a company.

Last edited:
I might consider a computer with the new OS if this is true. The Metro interface was purely the reason why I returned my laptop to Costco 2 days after buying it. I do not tolerate the "you will get used to it" answer for 8. I have been using a Start button since 1995, and I loathe change.

Darn. And I was just getting use to this Windows8. I don't use the "tile screen", just work from the good old desktop. 'Bout the only time that I go to the "tile screen" is to bring up solitaire.

Gotta love an industry that within a couple years claims their old product was junk and you need to upgrade at ridiculous prices for fear of the older product not being supported any longer.Oh wait a minute,the auto industry and the oil industry do the same thing....as well as video game console makers...and...

About a month ago, my brother and I purchased a new HP for my father; HP still is selling W7 "for a limited time"

I use it @ work, so I'm not interested in a W8 machine and a lot of questions for which I have no answers.

As I indicated in previous posts, paid corporate customers drive a lot of the design and lifecycle of the MS desktop OS. No way any corporation would have stood for that Fisher Price UI, because no one could stand the 2 months where nothing got done while people tried to figure out what to do.

Last edited:
lol, I'd be so lost...I'm still using Windows Vista, with the "Classic Desktop" icons/start menu....I'm glad I don't quite need a new computer yet...(though considering one...).

Question to the Windows 7/8 users....is there an option somewhere in control panel > Display properties or somesuch to bring back the gold ole WIndows 98 style menus? LOL....cause frankly, that's how I got my Vista looking, Themes are off...all plain jane. I turned off Aero the day I got it LOL.

windows 8 is OK with a 5 minute fix. It is so freaking fast compared to XP. When I come out of hibernation, I have my desktop in 10 seconds. And the speed of page changes on the internet is worth any minor inconvenience. The standard spell check on forums and e-mails is a great feature also. Not saying change is good but it is OK.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Question to the Windows 7/8 users....is there an option somewhere in control panel > Display properties or somesuch to bring back the gold ole WIndows 98 style menus? LOL....cause frankly, that's how I got my Vista looking, Themes are off...all plain jane. I turned off Aero the day I got it LOL.

I know for certain that windows 7 can be made to look like windows 2000, I don't know about windows 8 though.

Originally Posted By: 285south
You guys should try Linux. Ubuntu is a solid one to begin with.

Obligatory use-Linux post.

With Steven Sinofsky gone at Microsoft, they will actually listen to the customers (thus the changes in Blue/v8.1) rather than just a single, stiff-necked manager calling the shots.

Just when windows was starting to look like Mac, they are going back. Start menu? Ok, have fun. I wonder how many people griped over having a start menu when 3.1 or 95 came out. I've always been a Mac user myself.

Windows 8 is great with a touchscreen but it's horrible with a keyboard and mouse. They should give you your choice of UIs based on the platform, that would make more sense.

My bigger complaint is with Server 2012, they used the Windows 8 interface and let's face it, nobody's ever going to put a touchscreen on any sort of server console. Too bad because it has some great changes under the skin like CIFS 3.0.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I have Windows 8 and if there is a way to get the old start menu, I haven't figured it out yet.

Wow, one little free download at iobit.com and you have your Win7 start button back along with the boot right to the desktop. I don't like the metro interface, but I love how fast Win8 is, especially when used on older equipment. I'm running it on a Core2 Duo E8400 setup and it's much faster than Win7 on an i5 2500k. The free download brought back all the things we've become accustomed to since XP, and it's still blazing fast.

So this will be a new OS and not a service pack update or a patch? Am I reading things right?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I might consider a computer with the new OS if this is true. The Metro interface was purely the reason why I returned my laptop to Costco 2 days after buying it. I do not tolerate the "you will get used to it" answer for 8. I have been using a Start button since 1995, and I loathe change.

My point exactly. However, this doesn't go far enough. Fire every exec at MS who signed off on this new interface, then call a company wide meeting to explain if anybody ever does something like this again they too will be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back