BIG oil leak, low oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1993 4.3 has a huge oil leak. Puddles at stop lights, almost like something has been left loose, or even not connected. Even 2 minutes of idling hot leaves big puddles of fresh, clean motor oil under the SUV. It also has very low oil pressure. The engine was changed today. It had a healthy oil smoke upon start-up, much better than the headgasket smoke of yore. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes of letting it run.. All good. All was right with the world. But then, I hear a rod knock-ish sound, and it begins to surge.. Then, I discover the puddles.

At first, I thought it was water. Then, I look closer.. no, brown and oily to the touch! This is surely motor oil, no question about it. I look to the source of the leak, and it appears to be dripping somewhere as to the back of the engine.

I text my mechanic about it, and he tells me to remove the distributor cap. He says there is some 5" long thing that always leaks, and that if I can tighten it, it will be good to go. So, I drive my F-150 to the parked S10 with a lantern, and I lay on top of the engine, having removed the distributor cap, with its one screw that appeared to be on tight. I see two oil lines, no dripping, and the black circular connector, this is my first time looking down.

For those knowledgeable with Chevy's 4.3 V6, where is this massive oil leak sprouting from ? And how do I get to it? Thank you!

do yourself a favor do NOT start it and make sure there is enough oil in it when someone does...if you hear a rod knock thats bad.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
do yourself a favor do NOT start it and make sure there is enough oil in it when someone does...if you hear a rod knock thats bad.

The rod knock appears to have gone away when oil was put in. Car surged, I shut it off, never overheated.

The car DID run fine until fully warmed up, then I noticed this.

The engine is well, no unnatural smokes, except for this issue....

Does it have an oil cooler? Such as the kind where there is a sandwiched spacer with fitting between the block and oil filter? Possibly something isnt tight from the engine install?

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Does it have an oil cooler? Such as the kind where there is a sandwiched spacer with fitting between the block and oil filter? Possibly something isnt tight from the engine install?

Yes, it has Engine Oil Cooler lines going into the radiator. My mechanic put a hole in my old one, so he bought and installed a brand new rad with the engine.

The leak ultimately hits the ground at about the spot where the front hood quarter panels meet the doors, or the A-pillar. It drips onto the exhaust pipe and smokes before puddling.

I will tighten it myself if I know what it is, as my mechanic got laid off for the rest of this week for his side job.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It sounds like you may have a bad oil pressure switch/sending unit.

I like this idea since it's plastic, sticks out, and could have been mishandled in the junkyard banging the engine in or out.

Oil cooler leak,just don't drive it till you replace the seals.There's a seal between the adapter and block.
Check your hard lines that lead to the rad oil cooler and double check those fittings .You may have to really re-torque them.

Let me know.I had the exact same setup on my '98 Astro.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Trav
It sounds like you may have a bad oil pressure switch/sending unit.

I like this idea since it's plastic, sticks out, and could have been mishandled in the junkyard banging the engine in or out.

I will price this up today.

Also of note: My dispstick at the present time is such that I am unable to check my oil. It is kinked, has great difficulty letting the dipstick seat and pass thrugh, and AFAIK does not even make contact with the oil.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Oil cooler leak,just don't drive it till you replace the seals.There's a seal between the adapter and block.
Check your hard lines that lead to the rad oil cooler and double check those fittings .You may have to really re-torque them.

Let me know.I had the exact same setup on my '98 Astro.

I will go to it soon, I will look hard for where this is coming from.

He kept telling me "it is on the bottom of the distributor," and that it is a "circle plug." Could it really be as simple as that screw-in piece I see? Even that is a little bit hard to get to! I have the distributor cap removed.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
You checked the oil filter gasket, right?

The oil filter is remote located and it is not leaking from that location nor lines sir.

By OP "He kept telling me "it is on the bottom of the distributor," and that it is a "circle plug." Could it really be as simple as that screw-in piece I see?"

Yes, anything that is on the engine that has oil behind it could become a pretty significant leak. On my Saturn I did not seat the oil filter cover (cartridge style on the very top of the engine). And even though oil had to be splashed to this area a very significant amount of oil leaked through. Good luck finding the leak.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

my mechanic got laid off for the rest of this week for his side job.

Now there is a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back