camshaft lobe wear on honda 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, another question for you guys....i was looking inside my oil cap on my Accord 2.4 and i saw two cam lobes....they look worn, i was wondering what "normal" wear for a k24 at 110,000 miles would look like. The cam lobes have a darker discoloration too them, most of the cam is a shiny silver color, and some parts have linear stripes, they are a darker silver or almost grey color, i took my fingernail and scrapped it across the lobe, and it did not catch on anything, it felt pretty smooth. Is it normal to have those discolored lines around the cams? can anyone post pics of normal wear???

How 'bout some pics of yours so those that know can comment more accurately?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
How 'bout some pics of yours so those that know can comment more accurately?

i tried to take a pic through the oil cap but they were blurry

What year? I believe some 2002 and 2003 year models had cam lobe wear issues, but it was a very small %.

The K24 is good for at least 200,000 miles of trouble free service. There are many with well over 250,000.

Originally Posted By: buster
What year? I believe some 2002 and 2003 year models had cam lobe wear issues, but it was a very small %.

The K24 is good for at least 200,000 miles of trouble free service. There are many with well over 250,000.

yes...many have told me this, but i saw my cam lobes and saw the lines and discoloration, i dont know what normal is. but it doesnt look normal

These are my cam lobes on my Mazda 2.5L

I had concerns about the "wear" (which may just be the camera). So far no issues at all and this was 25k miles ago.

Pic 1

Pic 1

Last edited:
Worn camshaft lobes you say? That's what that 0W-20 and 5W-20
will do to your engine. I try warning you people but no one listens.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: cpayne5
For reference, here is what my TSX's K24 looked like at 125k...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...896#Post2732896

YES! thats exactly what mine look like. that discoloration toward the middle of the cam lobe. Is that normal??

Yeah, your car is fine. Drive it for another couple hundred thousand on those worn cam lobes.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Worn camshaft lobes you say? That's what that 0W-20 and 5W-20
will do to your engine. I try warning you people but no one listens.

So, you're saying the engine will perform better with 20w50? Or how about 85w140? Why not just go with grease?

How about the old engines that would wear the cam lobes on 10w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back