Viscosity failure using multi-weight oil in Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I email the lab results to someone on this board
could you post it for me? I am not going to copy/type three
sets of tests, besides someone may think I changed something.

Help? [email protected] and I'll send the lab report for someone to post on a url to this thread.

Results posted for nolids.

guestUOA.jpg

Chart says Valvoline SAE40 and their conventional starts at 15/100c vis. The 40 is still in grade at 1.5X plus the run time. Wear metals are down also.

Both 15w50 runs in the 30 grade!

I know which one I'd use....

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Lab made a mistake on which oil I was running on the second (middle) test-- it was Rotella T-6 full syn 05w-40 oil, not Mobil 1 15w-50. They forgot to change the oil type.

--Geoff

It seems awfully quiet on this thread. As compared when everyone was attacking me or my lab results.

My Straight 40wt. results are excellent, other than some wierd high sodium levels.

I guess if someone goes "against the grain" *****or doesn't "march in formation" *****to established thought that multi-weight oil is always "correct" no matter what the oil results *show* I feel sorry for you guys.

It was my tech at the oil lab that suggested me using straight 40 weight oil instead of multi-weight and he knows a [censored] of a lot more that you guys do.

--Geoff

Do you feel better nolids now that you got that rant off your chest?

Now you know why the thread went silent?

Calm down and be civil.

The wear metals on the 15W50 Mobil show the engine is wearing-in and iron is trending downwards.

ALL of these oils sheared down.

The sodium is just another "weird" form of detergent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nolids
It seems awfully quiet on this thread. As compared when everyone was attacking me or my lab results.

My Straight 40wt. results are excellent, other than some wierd high sodium levels.

I guess if someone goes "against the grain" *****or doesn't "march in formation" *****to established thought that multi-weight oil is always "correct" no matter what the oil results *show* I feel sorry for you guys.

It was my tech at the oil lab that suggested me using straight 40 weight oil instead of multi-weight and he knows a [censored] of a lot more that you guys do.

And how do you know the occupation of every menber of this board? He's a "lab tech" not an ME.

--Geoff

Originally Posted By: nolids

--Geoff

But Yamaha also said you should use a multi-grade oil, so I guess your oil tech also knows more than Yamaha. Not going to lie, your wear metals suddenly looked better with straight grade and at 3k miles and several oil changes it doesnt seem engine break-in would explain the drop. Still I doubt the wear metals were significantly effecting wear. Interpreting UOA results is a whole other discussion.

Originally Posted By: jsharp
Originally Posted By: sunruh
glammis is major sand dunes. as in pin it and ride all day.

friends dont let friends do 45hr oci's.

steve

laugh.gif

I'd say that about covers it...

Yep.. sunruh will be your local expert here on motorcycle oils.
nolids, run what you want. If straight 40 floats your boat, fine. I don't know what you expected your UOA to look like after 45 hours. That engine is more motocross than lawn mower... Your OCI should be much shorter, especially with Mobil 15w50. That was the darling of the BMW crowd for years, but always sheared to a 40 weight, or less. The conventional Mobil 20w50 is better at staying in grade.

Last edited:
I got to agree here, first if concerned about shearing dont even consider a 5/40 oil, syn or not, it WILL shear much faster then a nice robust 20/50.
Also agree that a conventional oil like Valvolne 4 stroke will hold Viscosity much better then anything less then 20/50 be it syn or not.
Would love to see someone do UOA on the 20/50 Valvoline 4 stroke conventional to compare the results on this machine or the VR1 20/50.
Im a firm believer is avoiding lesser weights if concerned about shearing.
I was impressed with my results on the Valvoline 20/50 but of course its a bike, sounds like in your machines it would be a GREAT test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back